Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Oh dear part 2.  (Read 4651 times)

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear part 2.
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2022, 10:16:07 PM »
Game for gentlemen played by hooligans  :)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2022, 10:29:31 PM »
None of this changes the fact that the entire arena was effectively sub-let and remains so for another week. Any judgement based on now is somewhat outside of whatever agreement was made.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2022, 10:30:42 PM »
Not disputing the game is more skilful. But more entertaining, more debatable for my money.

I am just old fashioned, I like the modern soccer game to a point, but feel it has lost something, rather like rugby. Difference is I feel the rugby product- higher scoring and more athletic- is better today when it is at its best, compared to the 70s and 80s, even if it has so much has been lost with scrums, player sizes et al.  When it is a its worst, we'll that is a different kettle of fish. Soccer, well much as I enjoy the more skilful game and proper player protection,  I lament the fact that the defenders don't defend and tackling is not the prime task of a defender, especially what was right and left back. The game was just better with inside rights, proper 9s, proper wingers, no win backs, and matches ending 5-3, in short it has lost more from the 80s.
But as ever, each to their own. Totally subjective!

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2022, 10:33:24 PM »
None of this changes the fact that the entire arena was effectively sub-let and remains so for another week. Any judgement based on now is somewhat outside of whatever agreement was made.

If there is an underlying requirement of the arrangement between Wasps and CCFC which doesn’t expressly exclude this situation, that requirement may well remain. None of us know, there will be a discussion, contract lawyers may be consulted. Almost certainly a cock up, wasps probably dint expect the damage, pitch may not have been right beforehand, time will tell.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2022, 10:34:28 PM »
Speaking with a soccer hat
on, I genuinely think the last 20 years obfuscate the fact that for most of the last century we played on mudflats at every level of the game. We also played in conditions that would see the games today called off.

But the game has change enormously, no longer hoofed from the back for the centre forward to win in the air. More possession and higher speed from more highly tuned, and hence more susceptible to injury, athletes.
Indeed it has changed. Sophisticated coaches have squeezed the entertainment out of it. The most attacking players are full backs, one player up front, “holding” midfielders - whatever they are. Centre halves rolling the ball into midfield and receiving it back for thirty minutes. It’s boring. The odd muddy pitch might liven things up.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2022, 10:47:38 PM »
Not disputing the game is more skilful. But more entertaining, more debatable for my money.

I am just old fashioned, I like the modern soccer game to a point, but feel it has lost something, rather like rugby. Difference is I feel the rugby product- higher scoring and more athletic- is better today when it is at its best, compared to the 70s and 80s, even if it has so much has been lost with scrums, player sizes et al.  When it is a its worst, we'll that is a different kettle of fish. Soccer, well much as I enjoy the more skilful game and proper player protection,  I lament the fact that the defenders don't defend and tackling is not the prime task of a defender, especially what was right and left back. The game was just better with inside rights, proper 9s, proper wingers, no win backs, and matches ending 5-3, in short it has lost more from the 80s.
But as ever, each to their own. Totally subjective!

I didn’t say I preferred the game now, can be quite boring at times.