Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 2200 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: August 07, 2022, 06:39:09 AM »
Fissler - Wasps halt recruitment despite Lee wanting to bring in two more.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »
Not sure what to make of this.

Could be right and it is very late in the day but also we still look light in the backline and there must still be players available.
Eg Chiefs signing Solomone Kata who definitely would have fit the brief of what we’re looking for I think.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 09:46:23 AM »
Despite what we may want on the rugby front, even if there was some budget, with everything else going on then continuing to sign players, particularly bigger budget ones, would not be a good look at best.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 09:57:47 AM »
It does seem to mean however we are going to be significantly below the cap.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:35:12 PM »
That’s very interesting if Fissler is right. I suppose it’s understandable given the current financial scenario.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 12:20:48 PM »
We have a big squad but are lacking quality. In business terms, why bring in a higher earner for this season when we can wait a year with no relegation (is that right? ) and then trim some of the squad and invest in more quality.

I also think Lee needs to decide how he wants to play before bringing in more players. Pick his 10, and stick with it. Pick a 15. Pick a backrow.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 12:38:14 PM »
Peek,

IIRC no relegation, they’re going to wait until a team has been promoted and then review the situation.  I’ve not seen anything about going back down to 12.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 01:28:03 PM »
Peek,

IIRC no relegation, they’re going to wait until a team has been promoted and then review the situation.  I’ve not seen anything about going back down to 12.

I'm not disputing your assertion - because I really don't know one way or the other - but is there even a club in the Championship that's eligible for promotion, considering the stringent ground requirements for playing in the Premiership?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 01:43:27 PM »
Peek,

I'm not disputing your assertion - because I really don't know one way or the other - but is there even a club in the Championship that's eligible for promotion, considering the stringent ground requirements for playing in the Premiership?

No team would meet the long standing supposed requirements but Ealing have the money to edge themselves into the 14th place.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 01:57:54 PM »
No team would meet the long standing supposed requirements but Ealing have the money to edge themselves into the 14th place.

Okay, so what's the official RFU/Premiership Rugby stance on this - there will be promotion from the Championship if, and only if, Ealing finish the season at the top of the league?

If Pirates, Doncaster, etc. come in first, promotion will be suspended again, indefinitely, until a) one of them wins the Lottery, or b) Ealing top the table?

This isn't a dig at you, Neils! I want to be clear on that - it's just my thoughts on (what I perceive as) the ridiculousness of it all.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 02:34:30 PM »
I think you’re right.

I went to look for an update on Pirate’s dream of a new stadium and Prem league status and it doesn’t look good in tje short to medium term.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/61981660

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 02:42:57 PM »
Whoever is "chosen" will, apparently, have to buy a share (I think they are called P Shares).

The stadium requirement of 10,001 has killed of teams in the past LW came up with a work around but came a cropper anyway.

Pirates Stadium is up in the air because the leader of Cornwall Council (a lady whose name slips my mind) failed to put the project forward for government funding which had been promised.

Personally can't believe they seriously want to go up to 14 clubs rather than back to 12. Mind you with Wasps current apparent situation it may not be a problem.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »
My $0.02: I think they should reintroduce relegation from the Premiership for the coming season, and promotion from the Championship the season after that.

Reduce the Premiership to 12 clubs ASAP, and buy some time in which to figure out the practical aspects of promotion (unless the first club to qualify for it in 2023-24 is the same one that goes down in 2022-23, in which case the whole 'Is your ground big enough?' nonsense shouldn't come into play at all).

Going up to 14 clubs in the Premiership sounds like an exercise in greed and hypocrisy, especially as the powers that be keep touting their alleged concern for player welfare - more games in a season may be good for the clubs' coffers, but not for the players who have to spend additional time on the pitch.

Lastly, I'd like to see the draconian ground requirements waived (for a while, at least) in order to give more clubs a realistic shot at top-flight rugby. Don't make Ealing threaten to sue for a place in the Premiership, when they earned it throughout the season; don't encourage Pirates to go the same way as London Welsh, by asking them to grow beyond their means.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 04:33:06 PM »
The problem you have is that half of the Championship is uncompetitve without meaningful aspirations to compete for a Premiership spot.  Not to mention PRL Shareholders not wanting to dilute their shares.

Right now, you could probably run 9-Team Premiership with an 9-Team Championship.  Top 2 get promoted, bottom 2 relegated in the Prem.  Something like the 13 Prem Teams plus Ealing, Doncaster, Pirates, Jersey and Bedford.

Scrap the daft ground requirements.  Or, put a plan in place that requires, say, minimum 2.5k capacity with a gradual increase to a more sustainable figure over a period of time.

They're pretty good additions geographically as well to help grow the game although still leaves a big gap in the SE. 

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »
Right now, you could probably run 9-Team Premiership with an 9-Team Championship.  Top 2 get promoted, bottom 2 relegated in the Prem.  Something like the 13 Prem Teams plus Ealing, Doncaster, Pirates, Jersey and Bedford.

I'd be delighted with that!

Anything would be better than the ring-fenced bollocks we had last season (and will have next season, barring a massive change of circumstances), insofar as I'm concerned.

Failing the above, let's get back to two 12-club leagues ASAP. Even if only 50% of the Championship is "competitive, with meaningful aspirations to compete for a Premiership spot" - the five clubs you mention, plus whichever side was relegated from the Premiership the previous season - it'd be preferable to the current setup, in which the big boys have circled the wagons and the scope for Chiefs-esque growth from a Championship team is practically zero.