Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Would you have WLR back?  (Read 2126 times)

Come on Dai Young

Re: Would you have WLR back?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 10:11:55 PM »

Sorry but have to disagree about Jacob tackling. The worry with both him and Charlie A they seem fearless in tackling. With Jacob it sometimes doesn't come off and he gets a red ( when others since have got off with far worse).  Totally agree about fiver.

I'm with you 100% on Atkinson, but Umaga all too often waves his arms about ineffectually before collapsing to the ground in an ungainly heap, insofar as I'm concerned.

Then again, I'm wary of derailing the thread, so let's agree to disagree ;)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 10:26:09 PM »
Yep agree to disagree
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 10:32:10 PM »
I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

At his best he is world class, at his worst he'd fit right in with our current squad.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 10:34:29 PM »
That is WLR all over- never been a big tackler, and never was in our galactico days. No coincidence that his best for us was often on the wing.
Eh?

His last season for us was was no worse than the previous ones tackling wise, as was suggested.
He is a better wing than fullback because he gets less exposed defensively.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 08:06:26 AM »
I'd have him back if the price was right, but not if he brings his evil twin Wally with him.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »
Is WLR just one of those players comfortable to try the 50% more often? He seemed to spend a lot of time upset when the team played safe, but WLR often had players like Wade to hand who seemed to be able scoop the ball at pace whatever height it arrived at. Not sure the team have that sort of ability, although Lee did suggest they were going to focus more on catch and pass in training for this season.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 09:32:07 AM »
The question is, will wasps be playing in a way that WLR would be usefully engaged as he was in his previous spell?
If the game plan is pants, no point in having world class players. IMO.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2022, 10:51:58 AM »
He is a world class full back, but we are not in a financial position to afford him. Also I think the focus now has to be on our squad as it is. Last season our basics of run, kick, pass were at a level you would not accept in Surrey 4, let alone premiership standard. The game plan limited, and sometimes impossible to discern. The coaches have to step up this year, as there is a squad in place that can push top 6, possibly even 4.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 11:07:05 AM »
He is a world class full back, but we are not in a financial position to afford him. Also I think the focus now has to be on our squad as it is. Last season our basics of run, kick, pass were at a level you would not accept in Surrey 4, let alone premiership standard. The game plan limited, and sometimes impossible to discern. The coaches have to step up this year, as there is a squad in place that can push top 6, possibly even 4.

Quite right, Wombles. I've always suspected that some overseas stars who come in on a high wage and only stay a season or two, can be subtly disruptive of the squad which after all is a collective and will be together after the star(s) have taken the money and moved on.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 12:32:04 PM »
George  Smith was with for just one year but what a difference he made.  Valent6ne's Day Massacre.  Coaching Guy, Young Young. Jack  W  etc..   What a incredible player.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
George  Smith was with for just one year but what a difference he made.  Valent6ne's Day Massacre.  Coaching Guy, Young Young. Jack  W  etc..   What a incredible player.

+1  by far the best incomer.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 01:52:32 PM »

+1  by far the best incomer.

I think Beale was a close second.  His ridiculous ball skills rubbed of on many of our squad. Shame it didn't seem to have as long a lasting effect as Smith's turnover skills...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2022, 12:06:41 AM »
It is kind of fantasy talk, and we all know it. Good to speculate over a pint.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2022, 02:29:04 PM »
Most definitely not. The Daly-esque collapse of any interest he had in performing to his best for Wasps once he'd knew he was going was truly, well, Daly-esque!! ;D

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 02:55:19 PM »
Thought he went off the boil ages before that.  When he first palled up with Fazlet in fact.