Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Would you have WLR back?  (Read 2114 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Would you have WLR back?
« on: August 07, 2022, 08:38:06 PM »
I’m not sure, it would depend on whether his mind was in it, but he’s still got some gas and skill.

https://twitter.com/saffasrugby/status/1556227712578367490?s=21&t=ai_wNhVodS-_pgUjHRLDQQ

Come on Dai Young

Re: Would you have WLR back?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 08:43:10 PM »
Yes, in a heartbeat.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 08:45:19 PM »
Unsure. Not at the price he was at. And not if he would be AWOL a lot (injury and SAFFA games). I am not sure what he would bring now.

On second thoughts, no. The era of Galacticos is gone.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 08:47:21 PM »
WLR = Brain Farts Are Us. When he played well yes but much of the time you just knew he couldn't be bothered.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 08:53:05 PM »
Completely agree!

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »
To elaborate on my answer, as I appear to be swimming against the tide:

- Umaga is no more a professional-standard 15 than I am;
- the chance to buy Mike Brown would appear to have been and gone;
- Minozzi seems to be out of favour with Blackett and company;
- Rob Miller is no longer around; and
- expecting Ali Crossdale to play every minute of every game is a tad unreasonable.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 09:16:41 PM »
Yes, in a heartbeat.
Plus 1

Brain farts- yes but pluses outweigh minuses, even when he lacks form. When he is in form he is sublime. He is also good enough to play for the world champs. How many wasps can say they would nail down a xxiii spot for them? Not a huge number.

To be fair, we are total crap in our backs last year and it is hard to see how he could play worse than anyone we had at 15.

He is also world class and a top bloke and not a disruptive influence by all accounts.

So, the only negative is value for money. Not sure he could provide it and money may be better spent elsewhere. Availability means a lot, as does continuity.
 But in a vacuum, yes, in a heartbeat.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 09:22:51 PM by westwaleswasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 09:18:39 PM »
To elaborate on my answer, as I appear to be swimming against the tide:

- Umaga is no more a professional-standard 15 than I am;
- the chance to buy Mike Brown would appear to have been and gone;
- Minozzi seems to be out of favour with Blackett and company;
- Rob Miller is no longer around; and
- expecting Ali Crossdale to play every minute of every game is a tad unreasonable.

Mmmm-

That is hard on Jacob or you are some kind of genius.
Mike Brown still hasn't a club. Maybe that is an indication.
Matteo was very badly injured last season and could still do the job we got him for. He looks very fit.
Your final two points I agree with.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
Also would add that Minozzi is class and could be the bees knees...
Which does not change my feelings on WLR.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 09:38:00 PM »
No. Definitely not. His final season is still engrained in my mind. I can take a lack of form or ability but not a distinct reluctance to make tackles or engage in any sort of contact. I’d rather persevere with someone with less natural ability but more desire.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 09:44:18 PM »
That is WLR all over- never been a big tackler, and never was in our galactico days. No coincidence that his best for us was often on the wing.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 09:49:42 PM »
Mmmm-

Matteo was very badly injured last season and could still do the job we got him for. He looks very fit.

I'm certainly no genius, as much as I would love to say otherwise! However, as stated before, I don't rate Umaga at all in the 15 shirt (and only marginally more at 10, but that's a whole other can of fish, and not relevant to the topic at hand).

I think the salary cap reduction is as likely an explanation for Brown's free agent status as any other, but I could well be wrong on that front.

I agree with you re Minozzi's injury (injuries?), but he seemed to be available towards the end of last season and just wasn't getting picked for some reason, unless my senescent memory is failing me! Hopefully he'll be back in the mix for 2022-23.

Regarding WLR's reticence to tackle, the same has been said of both Cipriani and Umaga; the former is old news now, of course, but I can't see how the latter's ongoing selection can be advocated for if willingness to make tackles is a deal-breaker.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 09:57:15 PM »
That is WLR all over- never been a big tackler, and never was in our galactico days. No coincidence that his best for us was often on the wing.
Eh?

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 10:01:54 PM »
I’m not sure, it would depend on whether his mind was in it, but he’s still got some gas and skill.

https://twitter.com/saffasrugby/status/1556227712578367490?s=21&t=ai_wNhVodS-_pgUjHRLDQQ
Sorry, what am I missing here? You’ve posted a link of him scoring from a lucky hack through and we’re supposed to think signing him is a possibility?

It’s a straight no from me. There were stats posted during his last season for us showing his tackle percentage for Wasps vs his concurrent tackle percentage for SA. The difference told you everything you needed to know.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 10:04:01 PM »
Mmmm-

I'm certainly no genius, as much as I would love to say otherwise! However, as stated before, I don't rate Umaga at all in the 15 shirt (and only marginally more at 10, but that's a whole other can of fish, and not relevant to the topic at hand).

I think the salary cap reduction is as likely an explanation for Brown's free agent status as any other, but I could well be wrong on that front.

I agree with you re Minozzi's injury (injuries?), but he seemed to be available towards the end of last season and just wasn't getting picked for some reason, unless my senescent memory is failing me! Hopefully he'll be back in the mix for 2022-23.

Regarding WLR's reticence to tackle, the same has been said of both Cipriani and Umaga; the former is old news now, of course, but I can't see how the latter's ongoing selection can be advocated for if willingness to make tackles is a deal-breaker.

Sorry but have to disagree about Jacob tackling. The worry with both him and Charlie A they seem fearless in tackling. With Jacob it sometimes doesn't come off and he gets a red ( when others since have got off with far worse).  Totally agree about fiver.