Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers  (Read 13271 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »

It may well be that they have been told to be quiet by their legal advisors.  A position which is not unusual.

Given that everything going on behind the scenes will probably covered by NDAs, SE rules and CAs, then we cannot really expect to get an info regarding the nitty gritty.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2022, 11:44:44 AM »
Pete Nutall view -

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-24729548

I don’t often post but I’m so p*seed off. I liked Pete as announcer and wish he hadn’t been treated so badly and let down but he is a disgruntled ex employee. Also have to say I think Bobby bridge is good journalist but his recent wasps coverage is just stories about fan posts on Twitter. I’ve seen no real analysis or attempt to discover the bond issue etc.

Some fans are beyond parody one vocal lady commented on a post agreeing she didn’t like all the negative fan comments and the. Commented on Pete’s saying she was glad hadn’t renewed season ticket and doing the same negative comments she slagged off in other post! Then there are guys from wasps report who slag everything off on back of them being hard done to but in actual fact are some of the most negative posts I’ve seen.

On the pitch issue I really don’t see what wasps could have done better communication wise. I genuinely think they want to build the cuff relationship so wanted to remain silent but in end had to comment due to negative ccfc briefings. Who is to blame for state of pitch, who is right and wrong I don’t know but I get why wasps would not want public slanging match.

The finances are a concern of course but there are financial rules and only so much the club can say. I really don’t know what people expect from the club here “we are in financial difficulty we’re doing our best” hardly a statement any company releases.

To the fan accounts who say won’t renew season tickets, won’t buy shirts, will only go to away games - good strategy financially starve the club more. Don’t get the logic. Rant over.

T

+1 and welcome to the messageboard Covguy.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2022, 11:54:09 AM »
Pete Nutall view -

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-24729548

I don’t often post but I’m so p*seed off. I liked Pete as announcer and wish he hadn’t been treated so badly and let down but he is a disgruntled ex employee. Also have to say I think Bobby bridge is good journalist but his recent wasps coverage is just stories about fan posts on Twitter. I’ve seen no real analysis or attempt to discover the bond issue etc.

Some fans are beyond parody one vocal lady commented on a post agreeing she didn’t like all the negative fan comments and the. Commented on Pete’s saying she was glad hadn’t renewed season ticket and doing the same negative comments she slagged off in other post! Then there are guys from wasps report who slag everything off on back of them being hard done to but in actual fact are some of the most negative posts I’ve seen.

On the pitch issue I really don’t see what wasps could have done better communication wise. I genuinely think they want to build the cuff relationship so wanted to remain silent but in end had to comment due to negative ccfc briefings. Who is to blame for state of pitch, who is right and wrong I don’t know but I get why wasps would not want public slanging match.

The finances are a concern of course but there are financial rules and only so much the club can say. I really don’t know what people expect from the club here “we are in financial difficulty we’re doing our best” hardly a statement any company releases.

To the fan accounts who say won’t renew season tickets, won’t buy shirts, will only go to away games - good strategy financially starve the club more. Don’t get the logic. Rant over.

T

+1 and welcome to the messageboard Covguy.

+2, good rant!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »
There are two ways to view Pete's comments:

1) The rantings of a disgruntled ex-employee.

2) Someone who, after spending 25 years working for the club, more out of love for the club then money, who still has a number of contacts still involved with the club whom he has spoken to, and his comments are out of concern for the players, staff and supporters.

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2022, 12:14:41 PM »
I haven't posted in a while. Been too busy with life. Neils' post really sums up my thoughts. We have just been through, and are continuing through, some unprecedented and traumatic times. With so many suffering and so many businesses going under if Wasps survive it will be almost miraculous and a wonderful testimony to the people running Wasps. I doubt they have much that they can report, no matter how much we as fans might want hourly updates. We just have to be patient and trust that the Executive care about the club. Those that have met members of the executive speak highly of them and their commitment. I have no reason to doubt their opinion. Maybe we won't survive but we need to keep perspective. The employees at Wasps and CCFC have their livelihoods at stake. It is disrespectful IMHO to engage in slanging matches and baseless rumour mongering.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2022, 12:38:41 PM »
I haven't posted in a while. Been too busy with life. Neils' post really sums up my thoughts. We have just been through, and are continuing through, some unprecedented and traumatic times. With so many suffering and so many businesses going under if Wasps survive it will be almost miraculous and a wonderful testimony to the people running Wasps. I doubt they have much that they can report, no matter how much we as fans might want hourly updates. We just have to be patient and trust that the Executive care about the club. Those that have met members of the executive speak highly of them and their commitment. I have no reason to doubt their opinion. Maybe we won't survive but we need to keep perspective. The employees at Wasps and CCFC have their livelihoods at stake. It is disrespectful IMHO to engage in slanging matches and baseless rumour mongering.

+1

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2022, 12:39:30 PM »

2) Someone who, after spending 25 years working for the club, more out of love for the club then money, who still has a number of contacts still involved with the club whom he has spoken to, and his comments are out of concern for the players, staff and supporters.

Most likely it will be somewhere in the middle, his views of whats going on may be coloured (understandably) by the way he was treated but it doesn't mean there's no issues.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2022, 01:22:09 PM »
Afternoon all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Be gentle...

Largely in agreement with the school of thought that, while there are rumours and discussions about the finances, the underlying business has to be sound. Let's not forget that a lot of the income streams were predicated on multiple large scale concerts through the close-season, along with events and conferences in the arena facilities.

That all got Covid-ed.

With a return to normality there will no doubt be work happening to attract acts to the CBSA next Summer. As proved this Summer with Rammstein, the facilities are there for big shows, and having a list of acts previously hosted including Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Spice Girls et al can't hurt. Additionally conferences and events will be being arranged and the facilities booked.

None of this helps with immediate cashflow, but taking a step back and looking at the macro picture it doesn't look too gloomy. The season starting, bums on seats - for both the football and rugby clubs - will kickstart the cashflow and hopefully unstick whatever levers are required.

You can't take the bond issue in isolation. Yes, targets weren't hit and options are no doubt being investigated and may well not be where they should be - but being realistic - Covid messed up the finances of so many businesses that one can hardly consider Wasps an outlier. Bondholders will accept the delay, because its the only way they'll see a return on their investment.

So, overall I'm optimistic that we'll have a club to support and faith that the relevant people are doing their jobs while we all chinwag about what we think they should be doing.

I promise all my posts won't be this serious.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »
faith that the relevant people are doing their jobs while we all chinwag about what we think they should be doing

You mean that the mass ranks of Twitter, Facebook etc don't know better than the people employed to run the club?
Wow, that's a radical thought!

hopwood

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
Afternoon all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Be gentle...

Largely in agreement with the school of thought that, while there are rumours and discussions about the finances, the underlying business has to be sound. Let's not forget that a lot of the income streams were predicated on multiple large scale concerts through the close-season, along with events and conferences in the arena facilities.

That all got Covid-ed.

With a return to normality there will no doubt be work happening to attract acts to the CBSA next Summer. As proved this Summer with Rammstein, the facilities are there for big shows, and having a list of acts previously hosted including Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Spice Girls et al can't hurt. Additionally conferences and events will be being arranged and the facilities booked.

None of this helps with immediate cashflow, but taking a step back and looking at the macro picture it doesn't look too gloomy. The season starting, bums on seats - for both the football and rugby clubs - will kickstart the cashflow and hopefully unstick whatever levers are required.

You can't take the bond issue in isolation. Yes, targets weren't hit and options are no doubt being investigated and may well not be where they should be - but being realistic - Covid messed up the finances of so many businesses that one can hardly consider Wasps an outlier. Bondholders will accept the delay, because its the only way they'll see a return on their investment.

So, overall I'm optimistic that we'll have a club to support and faith that the relevant people are doing their jobs while we all chinwag about what we think they should be doing.

I promise all my posts won't be this serious.

Good post.
Thank you for sharing.
And I agree with your sentiments of pulling back a bit and seeing the big picture.
That said, Wasps need to play an attractive style of rugby this season to pull in the fans.
People (especially newcomers) come for tries, so let's hope we pick things up a notch...whilst the stadium and surrounding facilities are leveraged effectively.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
You mean that the mass ranks of Twitter, Facebook etc don't know better than the people employed to run the club?
Wow, that's a radical thought!

It's not *just* self-appointed experts on social media, though, is it?

The Times ran the 'Sisu is looking to sell' story, explicitly tying it in with Wasps' financial situation; The Rugby Paper published the 'moratorium on recruitment' article; even the Coventry Telegraph has carried two pessimistic Wasps-related stories this week.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2022, 02:03:10 PM »

Agreed!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »
It's not *just* self-appointed experts on social media, though, is it?

true, but a lot of stories in any level of media are based on rumour & sensationalising of whatever story may actually be behind it. A headline of "Wasps to go bust!!" is much better than "Wasps delay repaying of bond & we're not sure what will happen next"

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2022, 02:12:41 PM »
Agree with most of these sentiments especially Daeg and BlackandGoldSunglasses - good posts. I genuinely believe those running the club know what they are doing and have been confronted with a perfect storm of problems. As for the articles etc that are not forum based it looks to me like one piece shared between several outlets rather than multiple stories.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
true, but a lot of stories in any level of media are based on rumour & sensationalising of whatever story may actually be behind it. A headline of "Wasps to go bust!!" is much better than "Wasps delay repaying of bond & we're not sure what will happen next"

Also true, but the stories that have come out in the mainstream press haven't been particularly sensational, from what I've seen thus far. If they wanted to go down the clickbait route, they could've done so; instead, they've erred on the side of caution, even as the social media rumour mill has ratcheted up the sensationalism day by day.

I don't see Bobby Bridge, of all people, jumping on an anti-Wasps bandwagon. Nor do I see him copying and pasting "one piece shared between several outlets."