Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injury Update  (Read 1136 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Injury Update
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »
Going to be a bit light at LH for a few weeks.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 11:50:00 AM »
Good news about Stooke but hoped Martinez was further ahead than that.
With Harris out there is huge pressure on West now as Hislop, despite being great around the field, was in trouble in the scrum and there’s no point having a world class right side of the scrum if the left is crumbling.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 12:31:28 PM »
My thoughts exactly. West is one of the top LH’s in the league but we’ll need either Martinez or Harris back as quick as possible as Hislop struggled in the set piece last year. Interesting that they’ve had sessions with Odendaal and Mills at 10 - not to necessarily play there but to foster the second playmaker idea.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 12:35:28 PM »
Interesting that they’ve had sessions with Odendaal and Mills at 10 - not to necessarily play there but to foster the second playmaker idea.

I read that as more of an attempt to put a positive spin on the rather negative issue of only having a single no 10 available :)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
Interesting that they've run Dobby & Hartley at 10 too, as well as the two you mentioned.

I thought it worked well in one particular game last year where Hougaard was on the wing, but was acting scrum-half when the rucks were on his side of the field. Made a very interesting dynamic, and very quick ruck speed. Left and right nine...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 12:39:23 PM »
Please don't hurry anybody back.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 12:43:11 PM »
I thought it worked well in one particular game last year where Hougaard was on the wing, but was acting scrum-half when the rucks were on his side of the field. Made a very interesting dynamic, and very quick ruck speed. Left and right nine...

That's an intriguing idea. Less tiring for the scrummie as he will have less ground to cover in order to keep up with the game.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 01:00:17 PM »

That's an intriguing idea. Less tiring for the scrummie as he will have less ground to cover in order to keep up with the game.
Very intriguing. Could leave you exposed on the short side  if there's a quick turnover but no doubt the coaches will have that one sorted.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 01:33:59 PM »
I don't think it would be that novel an idea.

Christian Wade regularly played the ball from rucks of the scrum half was unavailable for that phase.

I think Shane Williams often did it too.

Whether it's something that is officially practiced in training is debatable, but during a game, I think it does happen.....
And obviously if that winger is a quality scrum half anyway, then it'll likely work better

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 01:46:46 PM »
I don't think it would be that novel an idea.

Christian Wade regularly played the ball from rucks of the scrum half was unavailable for that phase.

I think Shane Williams often did it too.

Whether it's something that is officially practiced in training is debatable, but during a game, I think it does happen.....
And obviously if that winger is a quality scrum half anyway, then it'll likely work better

Else where in this forum, I have posted that I would have really liked to see what Wadey would be like as a scrummie. Also Shane started his career as a SH.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 01:53:05 PM »
My thoughts exactly. West is one of the top LH’s in the league but we’ll need either Martinez or Harris back as quick as possible as Hislop struggled in the set piece last year. Interesting that they’ve had sessions with Odendaal and Mills at 10 - not to necessarily play there but to foster the second playmaker idea.

There's Nearchou too and John Ryan has played a bit at loosehead but still a West knock away from a spinning scrum!

https://www.the42.ie/john-ryan-ireland-japan-3440698-Jun2017/

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 04:02:01 PM »

There's Nearchou too and John Ryan has played a bit at loosehead but still a West knock away from a spinning scrum!

https://www.the42.ie/john-ryan-ireland-japan-3440698-Jun2017/

Noticed in one of the preseason videos that Van Vuuren was packing down at LH, could have just been making up the numbers for a specific practice or move but also could be adding another string to his bow