Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps spending profile  (Read 2293 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps spending profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 10:51:33 AM »
Not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, but will err on the side of caution and tack it onto this as it's broadly related and haven't seen any mention of it on this board.

Flats and Shanks released an episode of their Podcast this week (or over the weekend) discussing the State of Prem Rugby finances with Mark Evans - former CEO of Saracens and Quins.  Well worth a listen - I listened to it early doors this morning on the way back from dropping family off to the airport, so might be a touch hazy but here's the key snippets:

Specific to Wasps
- Mark said he knew Derek well enough to know that he's fully committed to making Wasps as a Club work, not just to asset strip (Like is happening at Worcester)
- He said he could see a viable business for Wasps but caveated it with it most likely needs single/shared ownership across the Stadium and both the Rugby and Football clubs to yield the best results.  Said it's a specific problem to bigger stadiums and the need to have multiple income streams (the latter isn't particularly groundbreaking news)
- Said it's clear we got ticketing strategy wrong initially
- Disagreed with the common narrative that Wasps 'would have worked in London' that many objectors to the Coventry move and most CCFC fans suggest pointing out it's a heavily saturated market where the key demographic live (West London) and pointed out the struggles Saracens have had with crowds and that there's hardly any rugby interest in East London (i.e. At amateur Club Level) let alone enough to support a professional club

On the Premiership as a whole
- Pretty much puts the key criteria to a Clubs financial success being a big enough market (fan base) and points to Falcons as having an uphill battle and Worcester the same (small town, relatively close to Gloucester).  Conversely, suggests Chiefs, Quins and Tigers are best placed with big catchment areas and regularly sell out (Guess we could add Bath to that and perhaps Saints)
- Believes they need to both keep the cap as it is for a prolonged period of time, as well as bring in a minimum wage (as said it's unacceptable to have people on £16k/year which commonly happens)
- Longer term would like to see the cap fluid and as a proportion of revenue to encourage better financial management of clubs and move away from the reliance of sugar-daddies
- Believes a closed league is better for the overall growth of the game and pointed to Major League Soccer (MLS in the US) which started with a 12 team league at the same time as the Rugby Premiership started and is now 32 healthy, competitive teams
- Thinks the qualifying criteria for teams to come up should stay, as they need the higher crowds and revenues to sustain longer-term financial stability (I think there should be a plan/route for them to get there if they qualify on merit rather than have a 10k seater stadium in place on the day they join the Prem)
- Believes fewer games and smaller squads would relieve the fiscal pressure as well as help encourage more casual fans.  Flats spoke about friends of theirs who went to a Chiefs game to see Nowell/Slade, but both were on international duty so didn't feel they got value for money when the ticket was the same cost as when all the internationals are playing for the Club
- Uncertainty over the quality of the product (or calibre of players) puts off a lot of casual fans and for that reason suggests they should have an international break, just like football does so it becomes predictable for fans to know who's available (injuries excepting).  Believes this will also increase the value and attractiveness of TV rights
- Think there's a knee-jerk, sugar-rush type mentality of playing more games to get more revenues but that drives a higher cost base (to operate the stadia and also to have a big enough squad) and only exacerbates the gap between revenue and costs so is counter-intuitive to what Clubs are trying to achieve
- Thinks squad sizes should be capped (at say, 30 + Academy with long-term injury dispensation agreed by the league on an ad-hoc basis and outside of the Salary Cap) as well as substitutes capped/reduced as that would also reduce the overall cost base

Some interesting stuff there; I wonder how many fans would be prepared to pay the same for their season ticket but with fewer games included if they reduced the number of teams, or games played in a season? I think our family of STHs would.  As it is, we typically attend 80% of the games we're paying for due to other events, or occasionally deciding to have a weekend 'off'.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
20 ½ stone and 5ft 10 and a centre/wing. Seriously?  What do they feed them at Aston? Bastareud is 6ft and only 18 stone. :o

I find that incredibly hard to believe, looking at his photo, I'd be surprised if was even over 15 stone.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
20 ½ stone and 5ft 10 and a centre/wing. Seriously?  What do they feed them at Aston? Bastareud is 6ft and only 18 stone. :o

I find that incredibly hard to believe, looking at his photo, I'd be surprised if was even over 15 stone.

From above: "Spot the bit in his Wikipedia biography written by his flatmate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Feyi-Waboso

I think you have found it!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 11:19:01 AM »
Maybe he's slimmed down.  When Biyi first joined he was 22 stone at least, but is now 18 and a half.  Hail the hero.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 11:20:18 AM »

From above: "Spot the bit in his Wikipedia biography written by his flatmate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Feyi-Waboso

I think you have found it!

Don't think Ross has got brain in gear yet!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 11:49:54 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 11:48:17 AM »
I was actually referring to the bit that reads:

Feyi-Waboso played for Aston Cobras - the university rugby team - and on 16 March, unfortunately suffered a concussion after a crunching tackle, the concussion led to a severe change in his sense of humour where he started hating the 'dad jokes' his flatmate used to consistently make. After recovering from the concussion his sense of humour did somewhat return to normal but it was never the same.[5]

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 12:14:53 PM »
Yes - could be that too!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »
Interesting extract from the EAs section:

Speaking of the Vunipolas, they were up for renewal this year and settled for reduced terms to keep alive their England prospects. That, however, made it tougher to retain Vincent Koch. At the time, a source close to the negotiations told Telegraph Sport that Saracens “did all they could to keep him” but “could not get near” what Wasps put in front of the World Cup-winner.

Subsequently, two more tightheads have been acquired. Christian Judge embarks on a second stint at the club following periods with Bath and Worcester. Eduardo Bello of Argentina also joins Italy international Marco Riccioni, who ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament after a brilliant start to the 2021-22 campaign, and Sam Wainwright.

It would be interesting to know how close the combined salaries of Judge and Bello are to what Koch was earning.

Looks like Lee was really keen to get Koch.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 10:58:36 PM »
Funny how it’s much harder to retain players when the offer has to be put on the table rather than under it.