General Category > Wasps Rugby Discussion

Hard to be disappointed

<< < (3/3)

coddy:
Line outs led by Myall were very good yesterday, we were solid enough in the scrum and the defensive structure was fine but let down by too many missed tackles.

The problem is our attack, our forwards are making some good yards with hard, fast runs but the backs are struggling to make any headway whatsover. Watching Cordero yesterday make break after break I'm hoping the rumours of him coming to the Ricoh to replace Wade come to fruition.

BG:
Morning everyone,

Reviewing a game having watched it on TV is different to actually being there, where you get to see a lot of things happening away from the ball (or lack of things happening). I was on the sofa.

Daly and WLR both looked completely disinterested, as if they didn't want to get their shorts dirty compared to the new guys of Booj and Neale who are preapred to run flat and straight finding soft shoulders to try and break through. Hughes is trying but simply running into people and bumping possibly one person off isn't very productive, as he then gets enveloped by 2 more players, holding the ball which then gets tied up for 5 or more seconds (that's if he manages to hold onto it). When he played for Wasps prior to the Eng call up he quite often looked for gaps and offloads. Ever since going to Eng he seems to have stopped doing that.

Whatever people's views on the backs and lack of creativity this is the hand that we've been dealt with for the considerable future so lets hope that the group as a whole get things together and work things out

Dgwasp:
Realistically this was almost a dead rubber anyway and, with the group we are in, going through was always an outside chance IMO.  I took quite a few positives from the game.  The first  20-25 mins I thought we competed well and Brookes did well to get over the line, unfortunately you couldn't see if it was grounded or not but we did well.  I think we certainly should have had a bigger lead at HT having conceded soft points and not maximising our own tally.

Second half the pack did their job I thought and got us some good territory to work with.  We defended pretty well and looked for once like a side that can try and prevent line breaks. There is disappointment that the speed and accuracy at the back couldn't make the most of the territorial advantage we rarely have, and there were some real blunders from players which you wouldn't expect, however credit has to go to Toulouse at how well organised they were and again how much better Top and Pro 14 teams seem to be at the break down.

For me Hampson is improving, he started well but seemed to drop off towards the end of the first half and we were noticeably slower at getting the ball moving.

Vespula Vulgaris:
Some fairly balanced views here. But overall I'm still worried. Whatever the reason is we aren't doing as well as we should.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version