Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Selection Dilemmas  (Read 1863 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Selection Dilemmas
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/lee-blacketts-big-wasps-selection-24940414

I would 'rest' Charlie and have Mills at 10 and Burger at 12. Probably Frost and Minozzi on the bench (as Minozzi can then cover FB and wing).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/lee-blacketts-big-wasps-selection-24940414

I would 'rest' Charlie and have Mills at 10 and Burger at 12. Probably Frost and Minozzi on the bench (as Minozzi can then cover FB and wing).

I would play our strongest team. Charlie starts, so long as he is 100% fit. I would start Burger who is a totally unknown quantity to Glaws and Matteo at FB, with a bench of Will, Ryan and Ali. I would not include anyone in the 23 who has even the slightest fitness issues.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »

I would play our strongest team. Charlie starts, so long as he is 100% fit. I would start Burger who is a totally unknown quantity to Glaws and Matteo at FB, with a bench of Will, Ryan and Ali. I would not include anyone in the 23 who has even the slightest fitness issues.

I said this when Charlie hobbled off in the first match, that it looked more than a 'knock' or dead leg (according to my friend at the match). The next match proved that right. He is not fit, at least, not 100%. It was his place kicking that gave it away.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 12:17:21 PM »

I would tend towards this view.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »
The following extracts are from 3 separate injury updates issued by Lee and reported by Bobby. They are in chronological order - earliest first.

new signing Will Haydon-Wood picked up a knock but should be back in training next week, with a view to being available for the season opener against Gloucester.

Centre/winger Odogwu, and prop Tom West didn’t feature in last week’s pre-season fixture against Doncaster while Nizaam Carr withdrew early with a head injury. Wasps boss Lee Blackett is hoping the trio will be ready to play at Kingsholm on September 11.

Charlie Atkinson, for a second week running after suffering a dead leg at Doncaster, was replaced before half-time on Friday night.

"Charlie had a slight twist," said Blackett. "He felt a slight twist in his knee nothing serious by the look of things, you just can't take a risk with next week.

Make of those what you will ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
I'd go for:

1. Hislop
2. Cruse
3. Ryan
4. Cardall (Launch if fit)
5. Macdonald
6. Alfie
7. Brad
8. Tom W

9. Robson
10. Atkinson (if fit)
11. Bassett
12. Mills
13. Spink
14. Kibirige
15. Minozzi

16. Oghre (seems tough on Frost but he's got to get minutes)
17. Tom West (hopefully - or El M-M if not but the scrum risks going to shite)
18. Alo
19. Cardall/Launch/Dodson or whoever is fit
20. Curran (let's save Jack)
21. Porter
22. Odendaal
23. Crossdale

This is assuming Haydon-Wood isn't fit. Paolo would bring some game breaking but needs minutes.

Really hard choosing between Mills and Odendaal. If Charlie isn't fit, then I would play Mills at 10, Odendaal at 12, and have Odogwu on the bench. I would have liked to have seen Odendaal play 13 a bit outside Mills but the wobbly 10 situation hasn't allowed that.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »
What about the dispensation for Jack? If hey get it he must be a starter.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 01:33:16 PM »
In the three clashes mentioned I’d be going Crossdale/Cruse/Odendaal

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
I think this is a very tough test for the first game. I'll take a LBP now, especially if we are without Launchbury and Jack

I would start Alo over Ryan, Mills over Odendaal is very difficult to call but I would start Mills but I think Lee will start Odendaal.

Need to see a big improvement from Hislop, for me he could be the problem at scrum time.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 02:04:23 PM »

So much for our "best pack in the league" hopes (or something close to it.

First game of the season and we're already talking about weaknesses

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 02:25:38 PM »
I'm expecting Mills at 10, Burger at 12, and personally I'd go with Minozzi at 15.

For hooker I reckon Cruse with Frosty on the bench. If Gabs isn't 100% then don't risk him.

I notice Genge is in the frame for Bristol, so perhaps there are waivers available for Eng players... in which case Jack has to play.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 03:08:42 PM »

First game of the season and we're already talking about weaknesses

Hislop is 3rd choice, if not 4th. If West or Harris were playing then that's a different story. How can you expect "best pack in the league" with a 3rd/4th choice player
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 03:12:14 PM by Westy68 »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 03:33:56 PM »
Hopefully Charlie will be fit. Any reason why Odendaal and Mills can’t play together?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 03:50:23 PM »

First game of the season
and we're already talking about weaknesses
It becomes one of the best packs in the league when you add West, Harris, Martinez, Koch, Launchbury, Stooke and J Willis to it. Problem is they aren’t available for Sunday. I think that’s the only point being made.