Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 4911 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »
That was so frustrating, I went to mow the lawn at the final whistle, I could bare watching the post match stuff.

I thought Charlie was quite conservative with his kicks to touch, which on balance is a good thing. We gave away a lot of good field position last year and id rather we kept the ball unless the game warrants a few hail Mary touch kicks. Whether that was a game plan or they were just protecting his thigh I don't suppose we'll ever know.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 06:15:34 PM »
As for lacking leadership after Shields went off, isn't Launch sufficiently experienced to rein them in?

I have said it time and time again, one type of leader he is, by example, but an on the field captain, strategist, he is not. Shields is.

But, still he is the club captain. A simple and understandable mistake for the coaches/management to make, but it IS a mistake.

The penalty count, the offsides, was mind numbingly stupid.

Jac A

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 06:17:08 PM »
Good to see reasonably calm heads here.

The first half was fantastic, the second half was tough to watch.

First half our discipline was great: 2 penalties - McDonald at the maul which disallowed the try for Alfie and Shields for an offside. Second half, 13 penalties (5 at the breakdown/ruck, 3 maul, 3 scrum and 2 offside), 10 of which were defensive. I don't think that we were hard done by for any of them either. We maybe could have had more penalties, but hey-ho we/the team can't control that.

I find the discipline issue so hard at times, it's such a hard thing to coach as well. We were most guilty of the cardinal offence of stacking penalties and loosing huge amounts of territory because penalties in quick succession. I look at the times for penalties I've got here: 47', 48', 51' then 58', 60', 62' then 66', 67', 68' 70', 71' - how can you ever regain momentum like that? Look at the last block for example - we start in the Gloucester half with an attacking scrum which is pinged for wheeling, they kick into our 22 and maul forward and Tom Willis sacks it for a YC and a penalty, another maul and a another YC and a Penalty Try. We then kick off force a scrum in their half, with only 7 forwards we lose that, get kicked downfield and concede another penalty at a maul and they kick 3 points. In 6 minutes, we have lost two players and conceded 10 points and in effect the game because of 5 consecutive penalties.

I will go back to not knowing quite how to prevent that though, very few of our penalties were overly rash, real 'loss of discipline' errors - Tom Willis pulling the maul down probably the most obvious but even then they were already under an advantage for one of those tough maul pens where you think you are legal, get called and try to go back and still give away the penalty because it has hindered the opposition.

The scrum we thought might be an issue as the game wore on. Ryan and Hislop did well enough initially but as they brough on a new front row we were always going to be vulnerable. I'm not overly worried by this, we knew we were going in with our 4th choice loosehead and two tightheads on the bench; Westy will be back soon and when we have out other looseheads and Koch to choose from it won't be an issue.

Plenty of people have pointed out the positives and there were quite a few. We got a bonus point away to Gloucester which I think quite a few of us would have taken before the game. Our D was actually pretty good: they struggled to break us down through phase play and it was only really the Chapman score where Elrington got through that broke our line - No-one could have could LRZ and Clarke was numbers and pressure of 15 battering against 13 and even then we got close to both.

hopwood

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 06:21:00 PM »
Glad that all happened in the first game of the season.

It now puts a huge focus on discipline and getting the players to play the long game….rather than being impulsive and doing dumb things in panic mode.

They’ve got to back themselves. Believe that in another set of defence we will create a turnover opportunity.
Or indeed, if they do score a try….that we’ll bounce back immediately with one of our own.

But, we have to eradicate the constant stream of penalties and, even worse, the yellow cards.
We don’t currently have the squad quality or depth to have 2 men off the pitch for 10 minutes.

Some positives.
But some growing-up needed as a squad.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2022, 06:24:59 PM »
Part of my post went AWOL:

Crossdale has some wheels, he nearly caught Zammit and we've got to harness that.

I feel desperately sorry for Minozzi, he can't buy a break.

We need a game plan for when the opposition have their turn, the equivalent is soccer of putting your foot on the ball. Even if its just passing along the line from wing to wing without going forward, keeping possession for a while and getting time on the ball to break their rhythm. Its not pretty but we can't go on with these collapses.

Sting

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 06:26:46 PM »
Definitely a game we should have won. First half they were dire, second half we were dire.
What was missing was on field leadership. Much as we all love Joe, he seems to lack the ability to drive and motivate the team when it's all going wrong. To cool heads, to take a moment to adjust our play. My belief is he can still be club captain as he is so well respected and great role model, but game time someone else needs to take on Captain responsibility.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 06:29:15 PM »
Good to see reasonably calm heads here.

Wait until Hymenoptera tips up :(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2022, 06:47:17 PM »
Must admit one of the performances that worried me a bit was Barbeary. Willis is clearly the better 8. Shields and J Willis shoe ins at 6 and 7. I realise internationals and injuries will mean plenty of game time for all but he just seems a bit off it. Early days.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »
Must admit one of the performances that worried me a bit was Barbeary. Willis is clearly the better 8. Shields and J Willis shoe ins at 6 and 7. I realise internationals and injuries will mean plenty of game time for all but he just seems a bit off it. Early days.

Agree. First game of the season and was just trying a bit too hard.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2022, 07:01:39 PM »

Funny how people see things, not saying Barbeary played well but I thought Tom was poor today

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2022, 07:05:11 PM »

Funny how people see things, not saying Barbeary played well but I thought Tom was poor today

Tom was definitely not on top of his game today. I wonder if he is getting a little pissed off at Alfie being favoured and selected at 8. Mind you Alfie was also a bit poor as well.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2022, 07:09:07 PM »

Lee and the coaching team have a lot of work to do before Bristol camp up at the CBS, as Genge and his mates will be relishing it.

Bloody Genge shouldn't even be on the pitch next week. Does he think rules don't apply to him because he's special? What's the point of having obligatory rest periods when they are ignored?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2022, 07:20:11 PM »
Alfie and Tom were a little off their game today, woh betide the rest of the league if they find it though.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2022, 07:26:54 PM »

Lee and the coaching team have a lot of work to do before Bristol camp up at the CBS, as Genge and his mates will be relishing it.

Bloody Genge shouldn't even be on the pitch next week. Does he think rules don't apply to him because he's special? What's the point of having obligatory rest periods when they are ignored?

He has become the Media's pet.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2022, 07:35:07 PM »
As long as he gets a rest period I don’t have an issue about it