Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 5923 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2022, 09:31:04 AM »
I think we need to start prepping Tom Willis as the next captain. Joe looks a bit tired of it all.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2022, 09:40:44 AM »
Completely take your point VV but I do think this squad has a better chance than the previous two seasons. Why? The following:
1) Atkinsons experience from the last two years gives us a potentially top class 10.
2) Odendaal looks like what we need at 12 and Spink is developing at 13.
3) When fit our front row will put us in the right part of the field more often than not.
We’ve undoubtedly got to win some games quickly but equally we arrived at Kingsholm with 1 LH and 2 second rows. But I agree - nearly can’t go on forever and as such I think the next half a dozen games are really critical for us.

I don't disagree with any of your points. But then I'm not arguing that we don't have quality players. In fact I'd argue the exact opposite. We have had players with the ability for thr last few seasons despite the terrible overall showing.

The fact that we nilled them in their own ground in the first half shows we have the ability.

But if our setup manages to suppress and nullify the skill and ability of the players we have then how does adding more skilled players change that?

Are we hoping that eventually we'll sign someone who is brave enough to ignore the coaches and play the way they see fit regardless?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »
I think we need to start prepping Tom Willis as the next captain. Joe looks a bit tired of it all.

I like that idea.
We said as much about Joe on Sunday.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2022, 09:47:43 AM »

Tom is a natural leader who will become an outstanding club captain but not quite sure he is at his peak as a player yet.

To be fair to Joe, he did not play in the pre-season fixtures so isn’t match fit - and he always looks knackered!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2022, 10:52:39 AM »
Stooke showed some strong leadership qualities before his injury.

Tom looks to be the obvious choice in the medium term, but I like the idea of a captain who isn't going to spend half the season away with England so we get some continuity. To that end Brad looks to be the obvious choice in the medium term. Even when injured he's still around to talk to the youngsters and set the tone for how the game should be played.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »
Think Tom has some way to go in terms of the management’s view of him I think.
It was Oghre that was promoted into the senior leadership group in the squad this summer ahead of him.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »
Surely - injury notwithstanding - Brad has to be the obvious candidate? Led the side last season in Joe's absence, and did it well.

I'm also in the "more time for Nemo" camp. With Brad's thumb, we should see more of Nemo. Which can only be a good thing.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2022, 11:08:22 AM »
 Don't like the turquoise strip (colour).  Alfie is not NOT NOT NOT an 8.  I love Burger and his smile.  Good morning everyone!     

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
Think Tom has some way to go in terms of the management’s view of him I think.
It was Oghre that was promoted into the senior leadership group in the squad this summer ahead of him.

With great respect to hookers everywhere and Rafa in particular, the hooker only sees half the game 😎

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2022, 12:01:12 PM »
It's not so much that we lost the game, and I make notice of the facts provided for not losing when we are ahead. It's that we were 21 points ahead at half time and lost, you should never lose from that position but we have lost 3 games recently when we have a large lead. We have lost when teams are down to 14 and even 13.

We have the tendency of switching off completely and then go into panic mode trying to rectify the situation and play with heart rather than brain. We should be going through the game plan and trusting it. That's the issue i have is when we go into panic mode it looks like the players don't trust the game plan and try to resolve the situation single handedly. We lose our shape, players start to get lazy by not keeping up the intensity that got us the lead.

Is that to do with the leaders on the pitch or is that management, personally I believe it starts with management which is why I'm little concerned as the 3 bad results we've had in the league should at most only happen once and then the problem resolved. We are talking of losing matches from positions that no other team has lost before. This can not happen again with such a commending lead

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2022, 12:08:52 PM »
It's in the players heads where the problenm is. They are fit, they are more than capable. They know the gameplan.

Need that sports shrink PDQ.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2022, 12:35:54 PM »
Have to say that we often get the subs wrong when doing well.
That is on Lee, I guess. We turn games around well, and our subs do often pick up the pace, but when doing well we often make ones that make me wince before the rot starts.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
What on earth is a sports shrink? That wasn't a real job in my day.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
I would also say that when pushing for a win we put together multiple phases but there is never an out. It just stays in the forwards until they come close to losing it at which point it might come wide desperation after it squirts out. When we had a Wade on the wing we knew that looking to get it wide would create space somewhere- he was very tightly marked. We could really do with that now.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »
I would also say that when pushing for a win we put together multiple phases but there is never an out. It just stays in the forwards until they come close to losing it at which point it might come wide desperation after it squirts out. When we had a Wade on the wing we knew that looking to get it wide would create space somewhere- he was very tightly marked. We could really do with that now.

Decent point, and one I think was touched on before the season started. The question:

Do our wingers frighten anyone?

I think the answer is a clear no. Josh is effective and quick, but not a "something from nothing" player. Zach looks a shadow of his former self. We have no Radwan, no LRZ, no Johnny May, no Duhan... nothing that makes the opposition wary of the threat from nowhere.

With the finances as they are, and the contracts as they are, there's not a lot of options... but it's something we do need to address.