Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What Lee Said Post Match.  (Read 3377 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
What Lee Said Post Match.
« on: September 12, 2022, 08:17:51 AM »
Everything Wasps boss Lee Blackett said after Gloucester defeat including Matteo Minozzi & Brad Shields latest

From Bobby Bridge & Adam Dickinson.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/everything-wasps-boss-lee-blackett-24991607
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: What Lee Said Post Match.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 08:41:10 AM »
Don't like the sound of Brad's thumb.

Hope that Matteo's injury turns out to be less than it appeared. So cruel.

Rodders? The mind boggles.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 09:07:21 AM »
Don't like the sound of Brad's thumb.

Hope that Matteo's injury turns out to be less than it appeared. So cruel.

Rodders? The mind boggles.
[/quote

Bit concerned about Minozzi, Healey reckoned it looked like his Hamstring, but they spent a lot of time looking at him on the field, especially movement that seemed to focus on the knee.  Hoping for him that it is 'just' a hammy and not a more serious knee issue. 

That he was in tears and that Lee "doesn't know" what it is suggested he is probably something more serious.

On the plus side, encouraging to read that West, Harris and Rodrigo are pretty close to being back in action. 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 09:13:27 AM »
Sounds like a politician to me.

A long interview where he actually answered pretty much nothing.

We can say it's hard to go to Gloucester and come away with a win and so we should be happy with a point, and that there is lots to be excited about.  But we've known for ages that there is real ability and massive potential in this side. It's his job to harness that, and so far he has conclusively failed to do that.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »
West sounds like good news, unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if Brad misses the next 4-6 weeks. Back row now likely to be Tom at 6 Jack at 7 and Alfie at 8

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 09:47:23 AM »
I'm not sure Alfie at 8 works. And in reality I'd like to see Nemo given a run out.  He's never failed to deliver and when he first came to us was a revelation in his carrying and pure committment.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 09:52:19 AM »
I'm not sure Alfie at 8 works. And in reality I'd like to see Nemo given a run out.  He's never failed to deliver and when he first came to us was a revelation in his carrying and pure committment.

Nemo is a class act. He has to be in the 23. NEVER fails to deliver.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »

We can say it's hard to go to Gloucester and come away with a win and so we should be happy with a point, and that there is lots to be excited about.  But we've known for ages that there is real ability and massive potential in this side. It's his job to harness that, and so far he has conclusively failed to do that.

You are not a fan of Lee are you V V?

For me - our capitulation had nothing to do with Lee’s coaching. It was the players that couldn’t deal with the pressure being placed upon them and it wasn’t Lee’s fault we went into the game without key players.

In the first half, we were top drawer and were one successful pass away from an outstanding victory and Lee being lauded.

I thought Charlie played his best game for Wasps, our new signings played well and I’m hopeful we will have a better season.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 09:55:10 AM »
I still think Alfie is still learning how to play at 8 and sometimes I'm thinking did he make a mistake changing from hooker. I see what you are saying but I just can't see lee doing that.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 09:59:17 AM »
I thought Charlie played his best game for Wasps, our new signings played well and I’m hopeful we will have a better season.

Damn straight, looked phenomenal. My biggest positive from a bad day.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 10:06:05 AM »

For me - our capitulation had nothing to do with Lee’s coaching. It was the players that couldn’t deal with the pressure being placed upon them and it wasn’t Lee’s fault we went into the game without key players.

In the first half, we were top drawer and were one successful pass away from an outstanding victory and Lee being lauded.

So what should be done about it? as this isn't a one off. If it's the players fault then change the players. For me if we had a full squad then possibly 3 positions would have changed. West at LH, Stooke in the 2nd row and maybe Paulo at 13. If that would have made the difference then I really don't see that has too much of a change.  I'm not a Lee fan as I agree with VV he can't change tactics mid game and why did he take Robson off? 

I'm not asking for his head but he needs to start making a difference in team selection and tactics.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 10:48:30 AM »
I must say, it was quite a surprise for Dobby to go off at 55 mins.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »

It's not really about whether I am a personal fan or not.  It's about whether he can deliver or not.

I think we can split the role of the coaching team into two main aspects.

Firstly the physical skills of playing rugby, both as an individual and as part of a team. Ball skills, passing, kicking, scrummaging, line out throwing, personal fitness, that kind of thing. I'd drop training ground moves in here.

On this I think our coaches are doing pretty well. We saw one or two loose moments, but overall our skills were pretty good, and there were some lovely plays that had obviously been run on the training ground and then implemented well.

Secondly however I think things like on-field leadership, game management skills, decision-making under pressure, how to manage the ref, psychological strength.  And this is where I think we are failing as a team.

We have brilliant players, you can pick pretty much any player in our 1st team and talk about some of the moments of absolute brilliance they have shown. They have the ability, and the skills to dominate.  But as a team we are weak, we make poor decisions, we accept the inevitability of loss however well we manage to do briefly, we capitulate almost as if we believe defeat is what we deserve.

To say that the players failing under pressure isn't the fault of the coaches seems utterly bizarre to me. That is exactly what the role of the coaches is.

And Lee is Head Coach.  Maybe he's banging on the door to Steve and Derek every day asking for the money to hire the people he needs to in order to turn this around, I genuinely don't know. But the buck ultimately stops with him and he is the one who has to instigate change.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:21 AM »

+1. Was thrilled when he came back.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »

+1. Was thrilled when he came back.

I think on yesterday’s viewing a back row selection of Tom, Jack and Alfie would be wrong. All looked rusty, raw, like they were trying too hard and were playing as individuals and not as a unit.
For me, if Brad isn’t available Nemo has to play for some experience and a calm head in there until Jack is back to form and the other two settle down a bit again.