Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What Lee Said Post Match.  (Read 3375 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: What Lee Said Post Match.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 03:32:51 PM »
Sounds like a politician to me.

A long interview where he actually answered pretty much nothing.

We can say it's hard to go to Gloucester and come away with a win and so we should be happy with a point, and that there is lots to be excited about.  But we've known for ages that there is real ability and massive potential in this side. It's his job to harness that, and so far he has conclusively failed to do that.

You are not a fan of Lee are you V V?

For me - our capitulation had nothing to do with Lee’s coaching. It was the players that couldn’t deal with the pressure being placed upon them and it wasn’t Lee’s fault we went into the game without key players.

In the first half, we were top drawer and were one successful pass away from an outstanding victory and Lee being lauded.

I thought Charlie played his best game for Wasps, our new signings played well and I’m hopeful we will have a better season.
VV is rightly referring to the last couple of seasons, not one isolated game.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »
Lee needed only to have said a few words. 'Sorry. So very sorry. That was a car wreck of a second half and we coaches take full responsibility for that.'

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 06:00:07 PM »

It was essentially our first choice back line, probably with 1st choice replacements on the bench too, with the possible exception of Odogwu.
I think I'd have him instead of Kibirige on the wing, but other than, that's our best back line.
And it worked pretty well for a while.

When the game is going to shit like it did in the 2nd half, we've got 2 options.
One is to keep it tight and have a pack that doesn't lose the ball and which doesn't get intimidated by the opposition.
The other is to open the game up even more and outscore them.

We seem to have tried the latter so many times and it's failed so many times in the last 12+ months.
It may not be a conscious decision, but we've got to realise what's going wrong and stop it

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 06:02:39 PM »
On the Nemo point he simply has to be in the 23 if fit. If Shields is out for Brizz I’d go with J Willis 6, Carr 7, T Willis 8. Barbeary to bring impact off the bench.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 06:42:57 PM »
On the Nemo point he simply has to be in the 23 if fit. If Shields is out for Brizz I’d go with J Willis 6, Carr 7, T Willis 8. Barbeary to bring impact off the bench.

Yes, that's definitely the starting back row I'd go for when Shields is out

Although Morris probably features too given he's ability to cover 2nd row if required

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »
I'd build the long term future of the club around the Willis brothers if I were in charge.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 05:30:30 PM »
I thought Tom and Alfie were pretty poor on Sunday but I've seen both of them play plenty of good games recently. I except it's a tight call between them who is the best at 8, but I like Tom at 6 if Shields is injured. At this moment in time I am no way not playing both of them. Nemo is a great player to have around but not at the same level as Alfie or Tom. For me our best back row is Shields 6, Jack 7 (he is still not at his best yet, which needs to change soon or I'll have Tom) then just Tom at 8 with Alfie on the bench, then next in line is Nemo.

I will be amazed if Lee doesn't think the same, Tom and Alfie are going to both have great seasons

Sting

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2022, 03:10:38 AM »
I thought Tom and Alfie were pretty poor on Sunday but I've seen both of them play plenty of good games recently. I except it's a tight call between them who is the best at 8, but I like Tom at 6 if Shields is injured. At this moment in time I am no way not playing both of them. Nemo is a great player to have around but not at the same level as Alfie or Tom. For me our best back row is Shields 6, Jack 7 (he is still not at his best yet, which needs to change soon or I'll have Tom) then just Tom at 8 with Alfie on the bench, then next in line is Nemo.

I will be amazed if Lee doesn't think the same, Tom and Alfie are going to both have great seasons
Alfie is an immense talent but one that Wasps needs to settle on a position for him. He was a hooker, but doesn't hook. He is played at number 8, but is nowhere near a good number 8 yet. Both Tom and Nemo give more control, experience and consistency in that position. Lee has said many times that he just wants Alfie (and our best players) on the pitch. However, there is an argument that he unbalances the back row. Manu saw it with Ronaldo where he is struggling to fit the team. Perhaps Alfie would be better coming off the bench.as a high impact player attacking tired defences with his ball carrying and stomping breaks.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2022, 08:16:49 AM »
Barbeary is a huge asset and a massive talent. We’ve found his position - it’s 8. We’ve got to let him develop there. I can’t see him playing anywhere else other than an occasional foray at 6 or 7. It’s a fantastic problem to have Willis, Carr or Barbeary at 8. I just think Blackett needs to say it’s Willis or Carr from time to time.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2022, 09:59:09 AM »
Shugs is spot on

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Not sure. Tom is to my mind the better 8. Alfie is a fairly exciting crash and run merchant. However I think teams have worked him out and target to stop him before he gets in gear.
Love Nizaam but I wonder if he queries why he came back with such limited game time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2022, 10:51:17 AM »
I agree with Neils that Tom is the better "traditional" 8, I think he has more control at the back of the scrum and is potentially a better runner off the base than Alfie. So for me, if Tom and Alfie are starting, Tom is at 8 with Alfie on one of the flanks, which one is depending on who else starts. I think we will see more of Nizaam this season to allow for a bit of rotation, especially as Brad and Morris may be covering 2nd row. Ideally, our strongest selection for me, we have Brad at 6, Jack at 7 and Tom at 8, with Alfie coming off the bench around the 50 minute mark to terrorise a tired defence.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2022, 11:11:33 AM »
It's the same as Christian Wade - people double  mark him which creates space elsewhere.  Sure he will have more eye-catching cameos coming off the bench against a tiring defence however it makes the time he is on the bench that much easier for the opposition

Don't think he has the absolute pace to be a flanker so 8 it is.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 12:35:45 PM »
We've seen so little of Nemo recently I don't think its fair to say any of our current options are better than him in the current set up.

Let's get him on the field and see what he can do before writing him off.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2022, 01:02:58 PM »
I've loved Nemo in the past, but currently our no. 8 should be Tom or Alfie. Nobody else should really get as much game time there. I think Tom's the more complete package currently, but Alfie has more potential.