Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 4823 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2022, 01:13:00 PM »

Do our wingers frighten anyone?

I think the answer is a clear no. Josh is effective and quick, but not a "something from nothing" player. Zach looks a shadow of his former self. We have no Radwan, no LRZ, no Johnny May, no Duhan... nothing that makes the opposition wary of the threat from nowhere.

With the finances as they are, and the contracts as they are, there's not a lot of options... but it's something we do need to address.

There's a separate thread on this.  Unfortunately it ended with the player in question going to Racing 92.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »

I would like to see Mehson as he might increase the scare factor a bit.
Does Crossdale play wing as well as full back? His pace when chasing LRZ the other day was impressive.

I know Minozzi is likely to be out for a bit, but him, Mehson and Crossdale would be a bit different

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »
I like Crossdale at FB. Yes he's made the odd mistake, but also scored some good tries as well.

Yes - he is quick (don't just need pace on the wing) and we need to back him and be positive (see the difference in England Cricket's approach)!

Josh is as good as most in the prem at making hard yards and finishing and especially in defence (good in the air).

Paulo can give "something different" on the other wing potentially?

Mehson has had some good moments going forward, but looked a bit unsure defensively against Dragons (and their wingers were quick)!

I agree that Zach looks a bit "out of sorts" sometimes and likes his "signature" chip and chase, but sometimes you just wish he'd back himself one on one to beat his man ball in hand (maybe that is a "confidence" thing)? Or maybe we just got so used to Wadey doing that for fun? :)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2022, 01:58:22 PM »
As others have already said, Wasps, for the last 2 seasons have looked like a side with no confidence. Whatever needs to happen to build that confidence needs to happen soon.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2022, 02:03:56 PM »
They looked pretty confident in the first half on Sunday........

Even in the first few minutes of the second half until we dropped the ball........

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2022, 03:25:13 PM »
I’d say Bassett is fine on one wing. On the other first choice has to be Odogwu - he does have some X factor about him. I’d also like to see Mehson given a chance. Kibirige seems to be going through a period where things aren’t dropping for him - even the offload to Minozzi on Sunday early on wouldn’t happen for him. His pace used to worry others but he never seems to use it now.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2022, 03:28:48 PM »

Even in the first few minutes of the second half until we dropped the ball........
Did they are were Glaws just slow out of the blocks? As soon a Glaws decided to play, it was over.
All this talk as if this was the first game of a new chapter...remove the close season, add this as the next game and it's just an extension of what we saw all last season, being able to stay in a game while we have the ball, as soon as the opposition has any period of retention, we get run over. Let's not even mention an inability to turn a chance into a score...kings of the squander!
I saw some good individual performances but as a team, I saw what I have seen the last 2 seasons...an 8th, 9th soon to be 10th placed team.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2022, 03:53:08 PM »

Did they are were Glaws just slow out of the blocks? As soon a Glaws decided to play, it was over.
All this talk as if this was the first game of a new chapter...remove the close season, add this as the next game and it's just an extension of what we saw all last season, being able to stay in a game while we have the ball, as soon as the opposition has any period of retention, we get run over. Let's not even mention an inability to turn a chance into a score...kings of the squander!
I saw some good individual performances but as a team, I saw what I have seen the last 2 seasons...an 8th, 9th soon to be 10th placed team.
Surely we are headed for 11th or 12th as we are totally reliant on the injuries or off days for wins (or to even just to avoid hammerings).  Given how tight the league is, probably the only team we can reasonably reliably hope to play worse than us is Wuss at the moment.