Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wadey tweet this morning ......  (Read 3604 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wadey tweet this morning ......
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
Good to know we did get in the mix, albeit too late.

Racing will suit him. Paris, the razzmatazz of the La Defense Arena, the plastic pitch.. good move for him.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
Good luck to him, he is looking after his own best interest, and who wouldn't. I think it's a great move for him and I will definitely be watching some racing games

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
slightly misleading comments re "Coventry's not really for me, I'd rather be in London" then signing for a club in Paris!
Why not just be honest & say its about the money? Can't see any reason why anyone would begrudge him a pay day. Good luck to him, lets hope he gets some games & scores some tries.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2022, 12:40:40 PM »
Inferring slightly….. wasn’t keen on Coventry, the team aren’t playing well enough to challenge in a way he wants to - however he could have been tempted if we offered enough money….

Suppose Racing does sound a little more appealing.

The article in The Telegraph today (in which he’s properly quoted) doesn’t infer that at all. 

It infers that we were his first choice as it would be closer to London (than Paris), but due to the recruitment freeze we weren’t able or willing to make an offer. 

An offer did come, but only after he’d already put pen to paper for Racing.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2022, 01:19:14 PM »
I was quoting this article:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/christian-wade-explains-wasps-reunion-24999404

He is quoted as saying:
"Plain and simple, I went down to have a look at their facilities and have a catch up with some of the boys and just chat with the coaches and just catch-up. I wasn't really interested in going back to Coventry, to be honest, and where the team is now, it's at a different place to where I am, in terms of what I'm looking for."
"Not to say that there couldn't have been things to persuade me to go there and stuff, but ultimately, I was looking more to be in London because it would've been better for my off-field stuff, commercial."

(my bold)
Looks pretty clear cut to me....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »
I was looking more to be in London

Well, a deal with Racing, who are based in London as it happens, will be just fine then. Oh wait ...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
THE TELEGRAPH ARTICLE -

Christian Wade has revealed that he was unable to join Wasps earlier this summer due to the club's recruitment freeze, after Racing 92 announced he had signed for the club on Monday.

Wade returned to England earlier this summer to plan his next move after leaving NFL franchise the Buffalo Bills, where he had spent recent years on the team's practice squad and scored an impressive touchdown in pre-season.

The Gallagher Premiership's fourth-highest try scorer of all time - behind Chris Ashton, Tom Varndell and Mark Cueto - has been searching for a new club to return to rugby in recent months. Wade revealed that he later received an offer from Wasps once their recruitment freeze had been lifted, but by then he had already signed to play for Racing in the Top 14.

"I went to have a look at the facilities, catch up with the boys and coaches. Ultimately I was looking to be in London more, for my off-field stuff. Wasps had some issues where they were [financially] on pause so they couldn't offer anything, and by the time they offered something I had already signed [for Racing]," the England international explained.

"It was probably a bit too late for anything in that respect. Wasps have been my team for my whole career and I'm forever grateful for the coaches I've had and the incredible players I've played with. I achieved so much there which I have to give credit to the team there for supporting me.

"I guess that chapter is closed now for me, not to say it may not come around later on. But obviously for now my sights are on the Top 14 and winning trophies with this team."

Wade added there had been other offers from Premiership clubs but that salary cap constraints and the fact that he was looking to move back to the Premiership when most clubs had already completed their recruitment for the new season made things difficult.

"I was prepared to walk away from rugby and look at other ventures of the field - my foundation, other businesses I have launched in the US and am looking to bring to the UK. I love playing sport, love playing rugby, but if it wasn't going to be the right fit for me then I wasn't going to play again."

Despite still wanting to chase down the Premiership try-scoring record in the future - "We can't have [Chris] Ashton being the top scorer," he joked, with Ashton currently on 95 and Wade on 82 - Wade's immediate attention is now on getting onto the field with a talented Racing 92 side in Paris, with Wade targeting the third or fourth game of the season for a potential debut as he gets up to speed with the team's systems.

"I'm kind of lost for words to be honest. To land this kind of role is almost a dream come true," Wade added.

"Having been in the environment for a week or so, I can say this is probably the best one I've been in and definitely one of the best teams in the world. It's extremely exciting."
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2022, 04:59:00 PM »
I reckon Racing will cut him after a year. French teams are ruthless in their squad management.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2022, 05:18:04 PM »
Are we gonna have to call him Fiver-2?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2022, 05:51:15 PM »
Are we gonna have to call him Fiver-2?

Well that would make him a carpet ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2022, 02:15:32 AM »
Think he’s worth £6

I actually feel more confident about him coming next year 😂
Racing will definitely let him go in the summer and if he has a good season his stock would have risen and will probably be looking for a decent final three year deal back in the UK

We’ve potentially got Minozzi, Kibirige, Hougaard, Crossdale and maybe Bassett and Mehson out of contract as well as academy back three players like Bacon and Dawkins so there is going to be money available as sure at least two of those big names will be off and Bassett could well be on a reduced rate.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 02:19:30 AM by JonnyD »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »
I will pay my 6
Wadey one wing, Odogwu the other. Would mean a positional switch of sorts, but can you imagine it? Our forwards might actually pass it out to the wings before double figure phases.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber