Always a Wasp

Author Topic: From the Beeb  (Read 580 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
From the Beeb
« on: September 18, 2022, 09:36:35 AM »
Wasps head coach Lee Blackett:

"The number of opportunities out there, you look and you reflect and you're thinking, it wasn't like we looked clueless at times, we were creating opportunities.

"We just made far too many mistakes with the ball, that's why I'm constantly saying we've got to improve our skill set and that's what we want from Wasps players.

"I think if you'd seen us in pre-season, I saw us heading in the right direction in terms of that. I think it's a bad day in the office but we have got to be constantly working on that and that is the direction we are going in - we're working really hard on our skills and we've got to work even harder."

Stating the bleeding obvious. Sort it or let someone else do it.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: From the Beeb
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 09:51:25 AM »
I think the constant mistakes and increased injuries are both symptoms, not causes.

Something is preventing the squad playing naturally, and so when it isn't working they try even harder to do 'it' whatever 'it' is.

"They're trying too hard"
"So many silly handling errors"
"Playing like individuals"
"Yet another injury"
"He's lost his mojo"
"Lack of commitment"

You could just copy and paste those into almost every match thread for two and a bit seasons.

It's like saying the staff on the Titanic need to be better at mopping.

Solve the root cause and the symptoms go away.

We have some great players that have proved they have the skill, and yet we are suppressing it time and time again. The more we focus on the "systems" the more it falls apart.

How hard is that to see?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm not happy with the way we've been performing, but you'll never hear anything useful from a public post match interview.

He's not going to get into the nitty gritty of coaching in an interview, no one ever will.

All you'll ever get from anyone is "we weren't good enough, wet made too many mistakes... Blah blah blah"

Of all the things for us to complain about, post match interviews shouldn't be one of them as they offer no value at all

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
I'm not happy with the way we've been performing, but you'll never hear anything useful from a public post match interview.

He's not going to get into the nitty gritty of coaching in an interview, no one ever will.

All you'll ever get from anyone is "we weren't good enough, wet made too many mistakes... Blah blah blah"

Of all the things for us to complain about, post match interviews shouldn't be one of them as they offer no value at all

Couldn't have put it better, wasps. Post match interviews must be the bane of coaches' lives and players' too. Yet they are obliged to take part in this pointless exercise.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 10:31:35 AM »
To be fair you don’t need the post match press interview to tell you we couldn’t catch or pass. We saw it play out ad nauseum. There’s a real lack of imagination and craft. When you couple that with very very basic skills going awry you get performances like that.