Always a Wasp

Author Topic: NFL - Wadey really could rip it up  (Read 2387 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
NFL - Wadey really could rip it up
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »

If this kind of thing becomes more common in NFL, Christian Wade really could take it by storm.

Look at the space the attackers have. Obstruction doesn't really exist so you can have blockers too.
All credit to the guy that scored the touchdown, he weaved through well, but it's the kind of thing Wade used to do with a tenth of the space.
Maybe it's not so daft a decision afterall

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/american-football/46506054

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NFL - Wadey really could rip it up
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
Good grief can you imagine what Wade could have done if forward passes and obsturctions weren't illegal.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Good grief can you imagine what Wade could have done if forward passes and obsturctions weren't illegal.

In American Football, only certain passes can go forwards, but what they call the lateral pass (what we call a pass) is almost unheard of except in desperation (to get out of a mess). They drill their players NOT to pass. And so their defense plays are caught totally unprepared when a team uses the lateral pass to attack. A defense would have no hope against Wade if he was to be placed short of a receiver who passed back to him in space, as their defenses are zonal. Running backs try to avoid ALL body contact, whereas as Wade is quite at home with being brushed, which gives him even more room to work with. The defensive NFL players simply aren't used to fast changes of direction. The running backs tend to run in wide curving arcs instead, trying to outpace the defense. Wade simply runs up to a defender then makes them go the wrong way and zips past them with a grin.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
And there are fewer players - 11 a side. I first started watching NFL when I was working in the Bahamas in 1974 (Dolphins were the 'local' team) and I always wondered why they didn't use rugby style plays with passes. At the time I came to the conclusion (probably wrong) that the padding hindered easy sideways movement of the body hence making the pass awkward.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
And there are fewer players - 11 a side. I first started watching NFL when I was working in the Bahamas in 1974 (Dolphins were the 'local' team) and I always wondered why they didn't use rugby style plays with passes. At the time I came to the conclusion (probably wrong) that the padding hindered easy sideways movement of the body hence making the pass awkward.

Having played rugby with a player who had previously played quarterback in Ohio, I can confirm that view. He couldn't believe the extra mobility he had without the gear. He adapted VERY quickly and played number 8 for us, if I remember correctly. After suitable training, he scored 5 tries in his first appearance, and set up others. It took him a couple of months to get used to our backwards pass, using a swivel of the hips and shoulders. He started off doing a 'prop pass' (turn and chuck it).

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
I believe the only forward pass can take place behind the line of scrimmage (no I'm not making that word up).. be that 1st or 2nd down.. but it doesn't have to the QB that makes that forward pass. The only reason lateral passes aren't used is that the team knows it will get the ball back as long as they hold on to it on the 1st to 3rd down.. a bit like rugby league.