Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Future: How to make rugby more appealing to the masses  (Read 1524 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future: How to make rugby more appealing to the masses
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 01:18:25 PM »
The ball in play statistics are still so terrible and the main jibe my league mates always have against union.
In more high stakes games it seems even worse.

Of course the lineout and the scrum are two main factors that differentiate union from league but league have really sped up the game with the way they restart the game.

No penalties and only free kicks from scrums would be a good thing for me but this would potentially rule out the need for the bigger lads over time and we still need the game to be for all shapes and sizes.
More stringent timekeeping from refs as Australia saw recently would help. Never sure why a FH takes so long to organise everything when kicking a penalty to touch, just get the ball and kick it.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 01:48:26 PM »
Is this not what "Rugby X" was set out to be? The "100 for rugby"

Is that still a thing?

Jac A

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
Every change always comes with new problems though as players, teams, coaches etc are always going to try and game the rules to their advantage.

If scrums no longer incur long-arm penalties what it to stop a weaker scrum consistently pre-engaging or pulling down. Your backrow and backline know that you're going to do this and are set for a quick tap and you have effectivly neutralised an opposition's superior scrum.

Trying to increase ball in play time also has consequences. It has been on a steady(ish) increase since professionalism but we see players game this too. Set pieces frequently see players losing contact lenses or needed to tie laces or with a cramp etc and these are always the players who are integral to the set piece so safety says you have to stop the clock and wait. While the clock is off, players can't be penalised for time wasting so we end up with matches taking longer and people getting bored. Already many games creep up to two hours because of stoppages.

I'm not saying the sport shouldn't try and I am a big fan of refs keeping the game moving but all these things have consequences.

As for big screens actually telling you what is going on - definitely. If the ref and TMO are talking during a stoppage, play the audio so we can all hear.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 02:20:04 PM »

Playing the audio only works if the PA system can be understood

But having multiple big screens and having penalties, free kicks, offside etc. all printed on the screen would be massively beneficial to new and old fans alike.

Regarding access to players, I know not all players will like having the public in their faces asking questions, but at the same time a lot will love to engage.
Wasps used to ask kids who their favourite players were. Typically you'd get a high scoring winger, the fly half, the captain, or maybe a number 8.
You would never expect to have kids calling for a lowly blind side flanker. Enter Ashley Johnson.
Instantly noticeable, kids could identify him on the pitch anywhere, a genuinely nice guy who was happy to chat to the kids afterwards etc.

I'm not saying that all players need an identifiable hair cut, but as VV says, for new fans to create an attachment to a team they need to know who they're supporting.
If you get to see and meet these guys in person you're much more likely to make that connection

Jac A

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 02:28:24 PM »

Regarding access to players, I know not all players will like having the public in their faces asking questions, but at the same time a lot will love to engage.
Wasps used to ask kids who their favourite players were. Typically you'd get a high scoring winger, the fly half, the captain, or maybe a number 8.
You would never expect to have kids calling for a lowly blind side flanker. Enter Ashley Johnson.
Instantly noticeable, kids could identify him on the pitch anywhere, a genuinely nice guy who was happy to chat to the kids afterwards etc.

I'm not saying that all players need an identifiable hair cut, but as VV says, for new fans to create an attachment to a team they need to know who they're supporting.
If you get to see and meet these guys in person you're much more likely to make that connection

Big if with everything going on but watching Corbin Thunder against Newcastle made me very happy, he's got the great name, the great hair, a real presence on the pitch and he's a quality player too - big hits, lots of work, always looking to get over the ball - it would be amazing if he had Ashley's rapport with the fans too.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »
Enter Ashley Johnson.

My 9 year old son was thrilled when he signed as academy coach and immediately asked if we could go to a game and meet him again.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 05:01:59 PM »
Honestly?

Since I last went to a match live, I found match days quite dull for atmosphere. Even on "derby" days against Leicester. The crowds just aren't as entertaining as that of Football (I'm aware that's a controversial opinion, but it's the truth). And compared to TV matches, I've just no idea what's going on without ref mic, and it shouldn't be that problematic.

Time wasting is obviously something that needs to be clamped down on. Especially at scrums.

Tbh I wouldn't change game structure too much, except breakdown. Breakdown is like degree level Calculus at times and the rules need simplifying.

Might also be arguments about rugby styles in countries etc. French clubs and country tend to be flamboyant and exciting, English not so much.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
Time limits on setting up a scrum.

Reduce the amount of time a kicker has for a penalty or conversion, it's now ridiculous.

Time limits on getting a lineout throw, but within reason. It takes longer to get 50 metres upfield for a long kick to touch.