Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 4609 times)

Temeura

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 10:57:57 PM »
Umaga looked great in attack but we can't play him at full back. He is a massive liability.

We have some really exciting young wingers who should be getting a chance. Didn't see anything of Kilbridge in attack and he's awful defensively.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 11:29:02 PM »
I don't think Bath would have got even close to touching distance if Jack had not been binned.

Nah, there was a momentum swing before Willis went off. It was part of it.
Yup

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 11:34:13 PM »
I'll give credit to the lads. They played well for 40-50 mins, especially considering everything going on off the pitch. I was proud to support this team, irrespective of my frustrations.

That said, we really do collapse quite easily. Really bizarre, it was something Gloucester struggled with for years. Looks like we've caught the bug now.

Umaga was better for distribution, but then again was he just doing what Atkinson has been doing prior? His lack of pace compared to Crossdale cost us a try, and he still doesn't feel like an actual fullback.

Tom and Jack were fantastic (aside from Jack's Yellow, Tom could've also got a yellow for a similar incident).

Odendaal's offload to Porter was outrageous filth, genuinely thought it was intercepted.
Yup. That Odendaal offload had me giggling like a little girl. But yup to all of that. I like Umaga but there’s still the odd moment of half-heartedness that annoys. Couple of high balls he wimped out of tonight again. He has so much going for him, I just wanna shake him. Look at Atkinson, and how he has NEVER shied away from the battle.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 11:37:33 PM »
I don't think Bath would have got even close to touching distance if Jack had not been binned.

Yup

Still, Bath scored 2 tries (both converted) when we were a man light in the pack when Jack was off. I still contend they wouldn't have got close if Jack hadn't copped for that yellow.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 11:47:06 PM »
I'll give credit to the lads. They played well for 40-50 mins, especially considering everything going on off the pitch. I was proud to support this team, irrespective of my frustrations.

That said, we really do collapse quite easily. Really bizarre, it was something Gloucester struggled with for years. Looks like we've caught the bug now.

Umaga was better for distribution, but then again was he just doing what Atkinson has been doing prior? His lack of pace compared to Crossdale cost us a try, and he still doesn't feel like an actual fullback.

Tom and Jack were fantastic (aside from Jack's Yellow, Tom could've also got a yellow for a similar incident).

Odendaal's offload to Porter was outrageous filth, genuinely thought it was intercepted.
Yup. That Odendaal offload had me giggling like a little girl. But yup to all of that. I like Umaga but there’s still the odd moment of half-heartedness that annoys. Couple of high balls he wimped out of tonight again. He has so much going for him, I just wanna shake him. Look at Atkinson, and how he has NEVER shied away from the battle.

At the moment, Atkinson has the 10 shirt but for the kicking. He should be spending his every waking minute practising kicking so that Jacob never gets a look in. But, based on what we have seen, he isn't doing that. Saying that, our starting backs bar #14 were getting to where they need to be. I would get Manny in to the first team starting if I were Lee. And keep Kibirige away from the matchday 23, not starting, not as a replacement. Even a prop would be a better choice right now.

How Gabi did not get pinged for his repeated in from the side infringements in mauls I do not know. He really is a hot headed penalty magnet. Somebody needs to give him a serious slapping about the head to get him to calm down.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 11:48:03 PM »
A good performance from Bassett, especially his first try. Also very good in following up kicks and challenging whoever was waiting to catch the ball.
What’s happened to Kibiridge? He started so well with us.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 11:52:30 PM »
Big thing for me was that in the first two games we actually looked like a team that would win a lot of games, Ugo’s stats confirmed that before the match. In spite of the doom and gloom on here over our play pre-Bath I saw that we were creating a lot of problems for teams which we haven’t been doing for the last couple of years. And we’re doing this with loads of youth (admittedly these youths are starting to get a little bit older/experienced).

In spite of the second half tonight, ahem, the biggest issue for me is STILL our maul. For well over 10 years now we’ve comfortably had the worst maul in the league, attacking and defensively. Every now and then we improve a little but tonight we were back to normal. I hate that it’s such a crucial part of the game but Jesus wept, how can every other team pass muster on this but we haven’t for over 10 years? We’re finally addressing our scrum problems through personnel (not before time) but we’re not gonna win the league until we can maul. I know we’ve got bigger problems at the moment but from a coaching side? Whack the obvious mole. Glad to have won tonight though. Great backrow performance. I thought Jack was a certain red card with no complaints. Good to see a bit of sense coming through though. Agreed with Blackett about momentum reffing in the post-match interview, but reffing will never be perfect.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 11:54:25 PM »

Yup

Still, Bath scored 2 tries (both converted) when we were a man light in the pack when Jack was off. I still contend they wouldn't have got close if Jack hadn't copped for that yellow.
I was agreeing with the fact that we were in trouble before JW went off. You speculate what you want.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 11:57:08 PM »

Yup

I was agreeing with the fact that we were in trouble before JW went off. You speculate what you want.

Kind of you to allow me. At least one poster on Bath's board agrees with my 'speculation'.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2022, 12:01:19 AM »
A good performance from Bassett, especially his first try. Also very good in following up kicks and challenging whoever was waiting to catch the ball.
What’s happened to Kibiridge? He started so well with us.
Bassett always gives 100%, always has. Sometimes the ball comes to him with enough space to work in (tonight) and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes the kicks are good and sometimes they’re aimless. He can’t make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. It happened for him tonight. As for Kibirige, how can he tear it up when he’s got sweet FA  to work with? He’s had naff all decent ball so far this year. Did Hougaard tear it up before he went off?

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2022, 12:03:52 AM »

Yup

Kind of you to allow me. At least one poster on Bath's board agrees with my 'speculation'.
Opinions are allowed, I refer you to my previous post. Personally I’m not so sure Bath wouldn’t have scored regardless. Just my opinion of course.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2022, 12:52:04 AM »
Before we go all hard arsed on Kiberige, worth rewatching the week before to see Spink looking terrible.  I will repeat that, terrible, and I am certain would agree with that, if not with me as a humble fan saying it. This week he was magnificent. That is the curse of Wasps backs- every week someone has a total nightmare, but then next week they look great and somebody else. Yes, Kiberige was totally and utterly dire, and has been out of mojo for a while, but what we need is for a week where nobody has the nightmare. Not Jacob, not Dobby, not Kiberige, just nobody.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:54:56 AM by westwaleswasp »

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2022, 03:16:46 AM »
Not a lot of the ball went left this week for Kibirige and he didn’t come off his wing as much this week looking for action. Unfortunately for him a lot of Bath ball went left and Muir looked far superior.
Odogwu may be back, Crossdale can play wing and IF-W might deserve a go too next week.

Such a relief to get the win but our decision making again when under pressure almost let us down.
Gabe in at the side, the Jacob high tackle, Launchbury offside is maybe a bit more excusable as that can happen to anyone like that and the Kibirige push all cost us valuably in points and territory.
Also when we had chance to get possession or play territory again whatever happened at the back of that maul between Dobby and Gabe was awful and another poor decision.
We often compound a shift in momentum by adding to it with poor decisions

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2022, 06:40:15 AM »
Last season when the scrum half was swapped it upped the tempo and we’d all be screaming for Lele to make the substitution at about 55 minutes.

On the limited evidence so far this season the tempo is dropping off when the substitution is made and we’re all screaming at Lee for making the change. 

As someone used to say, its a funky old game.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2022, 07:59:56 AM »
Another thought: Nemo gives us another jumper in the lineout. He took some good ones yesterday.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!