Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Squad update ahead of Saints: Koch, Alfie, Paolo.  (Read 995 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Squad update ahead of Saints: Koch, Alfie, Paolo.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 06:27:19 AM »
Koch's arrival presents head coach Lee Blackett with a selection dilemma for Sunday's match at the Coventry Building Society Arena as fellow new-signing John Ryan and the longest-serving of Wasps' tightheads, Biyi Alo, have both had strong starts to the season.
Of all the problems at the club that's a rare one that falls in to the category labelled "nice to have". We could do with a few more of those and fewer of the rest.

Given how flaky we are  mentally I don't see how Lee can leave him out. That's not a dig at the other two but at the team in general and at this stage we need his vastly superior experience. I'd have him on the bench and bring him on if the team starts to show any signs of mental frailty.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 07:21:09 AM »
So we are up to about 8/9 injured player at the moment.

I would be shocked if Koch doesn’t get the first 50/55 minutes, with Ryan coming on to finish off.

Personally I think we are going to find it difficult this weekend, defensively we are still poor and Saints are very good at spotting holes. We we score a few tries but we will concede a few

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 08:18:19 AM »

We will score a few tries but we will concede a few

While I accept that it's not the way professional clubs want their teams to perform, it sounds like entertaining, competitive rugby to me.

In a lot of ways, 50-0 wins can be boring, I'd happily take us winning 35-25 in a "we'll score more than you" attack fest

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 08:49:52 AM »
Having read the update - I guess that means much of the team, especially the backline will pick itself. Jacob at 15 etc. I'd presume that key choices are the bench players. I'd probably have Koch on the bench with the aim of have a v solid set piece and with an aim to deny Saints too much broken field....I ended up watching their last Prem game's second half the day after...as I thought they were toast and I decided to watch the cricket....

So I hope that if we do have a good start - we can utilise experience from the bench to play a little smarter and perhaps look to be smarter when dealing with officials....

I do think Paolo is for the bench - and hopefully he can bring some threat.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 09:14:25 AM »
For me Koch being involved is a given. It’s who fills the other slot. Don’t think there is much separating Alo and Ryan. I think I possibly go Ryan. Odogwu must be nailed on at 14. Even if Hougaard is fit this feels like it will be more like his type of game. Loose head is an intriguing pick for the bench as well. I suspect Blackett will go with Hislop. I think I’d go with Martinez. I think the rest will be as per Bath.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
For me Koch being involved is a given. It’s who fills the other slot. Don’t think there is much separating Alo and Ryan. I think I possibly go Ryan. Odogwu must be nailed on at 14. Even if Hougaard is fit this feels like it will be more like his type of game. Loose head is an intriguing pick for the bench as well. I suspect Blackett will go with Hislop. I think I’d go with Martinez. I think the rest will be as per Bath.

I'd go with Rodders as well - assuming he is 100% match fit.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »
I'd be bringing Koch off the bench this week. Paolo might get a bench slot, or even a start over Zach, but then I think Hartley would be worth including too maybe.

Backrow of the Willises and Nemo, with then maybe Curry or Fisilau on the bench?

Still not convinced by Jacob at 15, but we don't have that many options.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 10:14:28 AM »
if you play Jacob at 15, I think you then need your best defensive wings which will be Hoogard and Bassett.
Koch to start.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 11:01:26 AM »
I'd be bringing Koch off the bench this week. Paolo might get a bench slot, or even a start over Zach, but then I think Hartley would be worth including too maybe.

Backrow of the Willises and Nemo, with then maybe Curran or Fisilau on the bench?

Still not convinced by Jacob at 15, but we don't have that many options.