Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Jacob.  (Read 1748 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Jacob.
« on: October 12, 2022, 12:42:15 PM »
Bobby has tweeted:

Jacob Umaga has received a three week ban.  The matches he will miss are to be determined following confirmation by the club as to when he is fit to return to play.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
Bobby has tweeted:

Jacob Umaga has received a three week ban.  The matches he will miss are to be determined following confirmation by the club as to when he is fit to return to play.

I really expected more than that. They might be figuring in that he will at least miss this week, and maybe the week after anyway.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
It will be interesting to see their thinking, given his track record I was expecting a much longer ban and from what I've seen I'm not alone.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
Like most of his other red cards, it wasn't malicious, it was careless more than anything else.
That said, given he does have previous, I am slightly surprised too.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 01:08:16 PM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 01:16:11 PM »
I expected more.  He's not a dirty player, and no malice in this or either of his previous, relatively recent red cards.  But it's poor technique and he's seemingly not learning.  If once may be regarded as a misfortune and twice looks like carelessness, a third instance could reasonably be seen as persistent recklessness.

Perhaps he got a sympathetic judgment as he may well be without a club by the time his ban has run its course.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 01:18:03 PM »

Perhaps he got a sympathetic judgment as he may well be without a club by the time his ban has run its course.

This is my thought.  He would be at a disadvantage looking for a new club with a hefty ban around his neck, so why not keep it short as a week will probably be a big enough ban to see his time at Wasps out.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 01:26:22 PM »
I think it's because they probably expect him to have at least a week off injured anyway. And if he pleaded guilty, showed remorse etc, then that would have brought the ban down.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 01:52:14 PM »
Mako only gets 2 weeks for a very reckless head challenge

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 04:26:31 PM »
He got 3

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 04:59:31 PM »
Mako only gets 2 weeks for a very reckless head challenge
Fudged so he can play for England.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 09:57:33 AM »
My thoughts are that the first two reds were similar and pointed to technique, this one looked more like he was focused on the ball rather than the player, almost not a tackle. With the rules as they are players jump for everything, even when they didn't need to. Would it have been red if Jacob jumped or Courtnall didn't?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 10:01:02 AM »
AIUI, he’d have been ok if he’d been in a realistic position to catch the ball, even if he’d been on the ground. Jumping alone doesn’t absolve you of responsibility even if your the attacker.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 02:34:46 PM »
AIUI, he’d have been ok if he’d been in a realistic position to catch the ball, even if he’d been on the ground. Jumping alone doesn’t absolve you of responsibility even if your the attacker.

I agree
From memory, Jacob was still making up ground on the ball which was going over his head.

I think the winger may have been cutting in, but was ~3feet off the ground (his hip hot Jacob's head) at the time he caught the ball.

I feel that Jacob could have made up the ground and caught the ball if unopposed, but at the point of the contact there was absolutely no way for him to get to the ball without also be 3ft in the air.

This was an awareness issue rather than technique (other than positioning) issue.
Under current rules, it's up to him to be aware of players around him. He wasn't.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 02:47:15 PM »
Length of his ban feels fairly irrelevant?