Author Topic: TRP  (Read 2286 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »
Quote from: Neils link=topic=5716.msg98247
#msg98247 date=1665903618

Newcastle Footy Fan saying Ashley will rip the heart out of Wasps - hmm methinks others have already done that!

I'm struggling to see the downside of a Mike Ashley ownership right now.

Some say that he hadn't invested in Newcastle United by signing expensive players therefore won't invest in us.
What extra investment is really required in the playing squad beyond being near the cap salary wise?

Others say that he'll strip all assets from the club.
What assets have we really got right now that mean anything?

It's fairly obvious that he has no interest in a rugby club and it'd be about the stadium, but it's a cheap side project for him that may drive some extra sales at sports direct.
Even if he were to put us up for sale in 12 months, is that any worse a position for us to be in?
At least the staff, and players would get paid for another 12 months
It’s possible Ashley may arrive along with Gary Hoffman. Who is a very genuine guy. Essexwasp on DW also confirmed he is something of a rugby fan even though he’s most heavily linked with CCFC.

Genuine guy or not, they're going to be businessman who expect a return somewhere along the line.... Which they're ultimately not going to get.

But right here, right now, it feels like a far better alternative then what we're facing.
Even a return to the Steve Hayes days is better than oblivion

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 09:47:18 AM »
Quote from: Neils link=topic=5716.msg98247
#msg98247 date=1665903618

Newcastle Footy Fan saying Ashley will rip the heart out of Wasps - hmm methinks others have already done that!

I'm struggling to see the downside of a Mike Ashley ownership right now.

Some say that he hadn't invested in Newcastle United by signing expensive players therefore won't invest in us.
What extra investment is really required in the playing squad beyond being near the cap salary wise?

Others say that he'll strip all assets from the club.
What assets have we really got right now that mean anything?

It's fairly obvious that he has no interest in a rugby club and it'd be about the stadium, but it's a cheap side project for him that may drive some extra sales at sports direct.
Even if he were to put us up for sale in 12 months, is that any worse a position for us to be in?
At least the staff, and players would get paid for another 12 months
It’s possible Ashley may arrive along with Gary Hoffman. Who is a very genuine guy. Essexwasp on DW also confirmed he is something of a rugby fan even though he’s most heavily linked with CCFC.

Genuine guy or not, they're going to be businessman who expect a return somewhere along the line.... Which they're ultimately not going to get.

But right here, right now, it feels like a far better alternative then what we're facing.
Even a return to the Steve Hayes days is better than oblivion

Hoffman has links to a local grassroots club in Coventry.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2022, 09:49:51 AM »
Speaking as a female I would prefer little or preferably no interaction with a club that took on Paddy Jackson.

I'm not female, but that always left a bit of a sour taste for me as well.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »
Speaking as a female I would prefer little or preferably no interaction with a club that took on Paddy Jackson.

+1

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2022, 11:40:21 AM »

+1

+2

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2022, 11:48:10 AM »
The entire Paddy Jackson affair is thoroughly distasteful and in an ideal world I would want nothing to do with him. However, assuming this story has wheels which I doubt, then we can't be choosy. Jackson is 30 and won't be there forever. This could be about the survival of the club in one form or another.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 04:41:18 PM »
The only problem with a possible tie-up with London Irish is what will they be called?

Remember the current London Irish (professional) team is an amalgamation of the original London Irish, London Scottish and Richmond first teams, and they decided to keep the London Irish name with the idea it would attract the London-basewd Irish supporters. To that end they adopted the pseudo Irishness, including Republican overtones, and those bl00dy drums.

Would we become Irish Wasps?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2022, 04:49:38 PM »
Irish have been my second team for the last few years, but there is little about this idea that appeals to me.

Wasps are my team, have been for decades. We play in Black and Gold and we have a glorious, and slightly checkered history.

Whatever team remains after a merger with Irish will not be Wasps.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2022, 05:06:28 PM »
The only problem with a possible tie-up with London Irish is what will they be called?

Remember the current London Irish (professional) team is an amalgamation of the original London Irish, London Scottish and Richmond first teams, and they decided to keep the London Irish name with the idea it would attract the London-basewd Irish supporters. To that end they adopted the pseudo Irishness, including Republican overtones, and those bl00dy drums.

Would we become Irish Wasps?

Might possibly start off as Irish Wasps, but like Bordeaux Begles ( or even Racing Metro 92 ) will be shortened when referred to , and eventually a name dropped.

Would I care or go ? Too numb at moment to make an opinion. Might as well speculate on giving what and who is left to Coventry RFC and merge with them.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »
Same for me - started to support Wasps when I was taken to watch a match at Sudbury as a 10th birthday treat.

It's now 65 years later, and I've supported, and as a youngster played for, Wasps for all those years.

Can't support another team.

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2022, 07:17:30 PM »

+1

+2
+3

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2022, 07:18:47 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2022, 07:21:59 PM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2022, 07:23:36 PM »
I remember how Irish acted when Richmond came unstuck many years ago. The only way I'd want to see a merger would be with us as the main focus, not them. Don't know how we can buy them and imprint our brand on theirs though.