Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Feeling quite melancholy  (Read 2865 times)

Covguy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Feeling quite melancholy
« on: October 16, 2022, 02:29:25 PM »
Feeling like there’s a pending death in the family. I’m a grown man and quite gutted at what lies ahead. My weekends are made by going to watch wasps play. Something to look forward to after a tough week at work. Even though we’ve not won of late I had a feeling this squad was not far off clicking. Now we will never know. Some other fans will get to cheer as Jack jackals for the umpteenth time in a game. Some other club will celebrate a barnstorming run by Alfie. Another team will get to watch Charlie develop into an exceptional talent.

For me I’m not sure rugby will hold the same pull again. I haven’t watched any game this weekend which is unheard of. The results have passed me by. I simply will get no joy watching g the remainder of the league play.

I have been a wasps season ticket holder and fan from the day they moved to Coventry. Don’t let the Twitterarti have you believe nobody local mourns their demise. The vocal minority always seem loser on twitter.

I can understand why southern fans disliked the move to Coventry as I will hate if they move away in any form. I simply can’t travel regularly to see games. So would not see nearly as many matches live.

Sadly I think even that is unlikely. Administration will be announced tomorrow. Within days the leading players will be off. If there is t a prepackaged deal then the arena will go to highest bidder and wasps will either slip into oblivion or smutty to start again next season in the championship with a squad that will be unrecognisable from the one that took the pitch versus saints.

I will likely cancel my BT subscription. Delete the premiership app and unfollow many rugby Twitter profiles. Not to be revengeful but because it’s too painful.

Feeling pretty shit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 03:31:34 PM by Covguy »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling quite melancholy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 02:43:33 PM »
Feeling a lot of that too. I think many are. Watching the likes of Willis x 2, Launchbury, Barbeary, West, Shields, Robson, Atkinson etc etc etc leave will be the worst bit. I’ve tried to watch some of the rugby this weekend before I cancel BT but have turned off today after BT had a “jaunty” back and forth about Launchbury going to Quins. Ben Kay has twice focussed on the problems Worcester and Wasps not fulfilling fixtures will cause for Tigers cash flow - eye watering bias. I’m trying to decide whether in the myriad of possibilities I’d like us to play this season or not. We may not have a choice of course but it would feel like a bit of a prolonged illness. I’ll happily follow if we re-emerge in the Championship (if they’ll have us) but might not bother with too much rugby until then. Which leaves a huge gap.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 02:54:39 PM »
You have my sympathy and understanding, Covguy. I watched Glaws v Bris yesterday (Glaws is my second team). As the score went back and forth I kept thinking how it would affect us and then had to do a swift double take when I realised the score and who won wouldn't have any meaning to me at all. By the end of the game I was completely detached from it all. A very weird feeling. I was going to watch Quins v Tiggs in 10 minutes but frankly can't be arsed now. All the best mate.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 03:23:45 PM »
Yup, I’m feeling pretty much the same. It dawned on me yesterday that the hopeful fascination of watching JW finding his best form had started to come true, and that we had a crop of youngsters becoming men in front of our eyes this season with all the expectation and achievement that was to bring. It just feels like rugby itself has been taken away from me. Christ knows how all the people actually involved must feel. And I never got to see a world class TH take the field for my team. Such an empty feeling.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 03:26:30 PM »
Plus 1 with all three of you.  I have quite a few recorded matches but can't bring myself to watch them. Well-meaning and kind friends keep passing over to us their sympathies.  I wish they wouldn't.   

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 03:27:38 PM »
PS   All 4 of you.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 03:38:39 PM »
Melancholy - hmmm. Nope still angry.  Really pissed off at many things. Cannot bring myself to watch PRL games - they have absolutely no meaning. BT to be given the heave ho tomorrow if the contract allows. Watching Women's matches, URC, Top 14 and warming to Rugby League (wonder if they will get access this week).

However that all is nothing compared to the players, coaches, staff and admin losing their jobs. This really angers me - no assistance to anyone from a bunch of cheats and inept managers.

Yes - pissed off big time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 04:00:34 PM »
All 5.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 05:02:47 PM »
I like to think I haven't lost my love for the game entirely, I will just channel my energies into my local club (I suppose the silver lining, if Wasps fold, is that I can go back to playing and not worry about missing wasps fixtures).

I will just not bother with professional rugby in England anymore, that includes the national side.

I may follow another side, perhaps in the URC, but it won't feel the same.

My BT Sport subscription is governed by my Virgin TV contract, which is only a few months old. I should be able to remove it and, if I can, I will.

Obviously, if Wasps continue to exist, I'll continue to support them, I just might not be able to go to as many matches if they move back to London.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 05:28:23 PM »
I guess like everyone else here I feel a mixture of sadness and anger. It's been a very strange weekend knowing there was rugby being played and not having any interest in the outcomes.

I don't know what I'll do in the future should Wasps vanish. The last few years have effectively killed any interest I have in the national team, and without Wasps there is little in the professional domestic game to draw me in.

I'm too old and broken to play any more, so that's out.

I've loved rugby since I learned to play it at school. Feeling a bit lost now.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 05:55:04 PM »
VV, I can't find anything to say that would be of the remotest help, except that you are not alone.  There are thousands and thousands of Wasps supporters all over Britain feeling the same pain.  But you and several others on these websites are feeling it it much worse.

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 06:00:03 PM »
Not sure what to do. I have taken my son since he was 5 (he's twelve now) and he doesn't really understand what is going on. It's doubly sad because he has really gotten into it this year and started to commentate on the game to me with him understanding much more of what is going on. He used to talk of nothing but Ashley but now has lots of other favourites. Used to take him and the father-in-law which formed a great bond between us. That said, I met up with him (the father-in-law) yesterday and he suggested that we might have to start watching something called 'football'. I quickly talked him out of it. Things will never get that bad.
I've decided, in my lost state, to turn my attention to NFL for the time being. No idea why but suddenly taken to it.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 06:39:07 PM »
Even as these days, as a rather remote supporter (physically) I've been a self identified Wasps supporter since well before the 87 RWC and indeed whilst London Division game tickets were available from school in the late 70's. And the Middlesex Cup was a "thing".

I was a player (only got to Uni level) and a rugby fan since the 5 Nations and seeing England v France in 1973 (thanks Dad) which only made want to play more! I've always been an active England supporter and perhaps will be again after the RWC and the removal of Jones. I hate players being pissed about.

I've had fun as a supporter watching NZ Provincial (what was Mitre 10) and the final is next weekend - I will see that. Wish similar was available here. I watched today's Prem game - but it just seemed rather pointless as I really didn't care. I will look to see if I can get to see Cardiff and Dai's team. Possibly in person.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2022, 06:41:11 PM »
Though it is still all too raw, let us not forget that we played 4 and lost 3 this season: Will Porter and Charlie Atkinson were voted winners of 2 Famous Grouse tries of the week.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2022, 07:35:40 PM »
Think I'll go back to Cov RFC if the worst comes to it. Not quite the top class rugby I'd grown accustomed to but better than nothing.