Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Feeling quite melancholy  (Read 2859 times)

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling quite melancholy
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2022, 07:51:51 PM »
Just like the rest of you.
Feeling flat and empty.
Disinterested in the games on TV. The screen was on but so what?
Can't bring myself to support another Premiership team, who all seem to be putting the boot in. In due course may go along to a second tier club if there is one in mid Wales.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 09:15:43 PM »
I started to watch the Gloucester game on Saturday but gave up around half time. It just didn't matter.

Not so much melancholy as empty.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2022, 09:28:26 PM »
"For me I’m not sure rugby will hold the same pull again. I haven’t watched any game this weekend which is unheard of. The results have passed me by. I simply will get no joy watching g the remainder of the league play."

I thought I might be over reacting by feeling just the same so I am comforted by what others are feeling.

Seems you can cheat and get relegated for a year and come up again and it's ok - no suggestion the cheats should have lost lost their "P" share.  Please don't challenge that logic. Couldn't watch rugby today but watched Sri Lanka and Namibia cricket instead.

Feel as if I have just been dumped by a longstanding girlfeiend and cannot get used to the idea she won't be there any more.

Three Lions Tours, two World Cups, followed England all over for their matches and Wasps too and now no interest in any rugby.

Very sad.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 09:38:27 PM »
"For me I’m not sure rugby will hold the same pull again. I haven’t watched any game this weekend which is unheard of. The results have passed me by. I simply will get no joy watching g the remainder of the league play."

I thought I might be over reacting by feeling just the same so I am comforted by what others are feeling.

Seems you can cheat and get relegated for a year and come up again and it's ok - no suggestion the cheats should have lost lost their "P" share.  Please don't challenge that logic. Couldn't watch rugby today but watched Sri Lanka and Namibia cricket instead.

Feel as if I have just been dumped by a longstanding girlfeiend and cannot get used to the idea she won't be there any more.

Three Lions Tours, two World Cups, followed England all over for their matches and Wasps too and now no interest in any rugby.

Very sad.

Exactly.  My interest in all rugby has diminished, not just Wasps. If people can play the business game in this way, they no longer have my Pound or interest.

This is all the consequence of Nigel Wray and his ilk.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2022, 09:49:47 PM »
I echo everyone's sentiments here. Although my love for Rugby and enthusiasm has waned over the past 2 years, the past few days has reminded me just how big a part Wasps has played in my life.

I went to my first match ages 11, mascot at 14, won a best dressed fan competition a year later, 580+ games attended, 48 European away trips. But this doesn't tell the full story.

It was the friends I made watching Wasps and those wonderful seasons from 2002/03 to 2007/08 that got me through watching cancer kill my Mother and the loss of my Grandmother 16 months after my mother passed away. Those same friends helped me through several battles with depression, sponsored me to take part in the Mind London to Paris bike ride with Ali McKenzie and John Hart.

This club has given me some of the very best moments of my life and got me through some of the worst.

I have interests outside of Wasps but nothing in my life has ever given me the thrill a hard fought win brings or the excitement of a run to a final. I really don't know what I will do when, what seems to be inevitable, happens.

I have been doing some media related work around the Rugby Europe Super Cup, specifically the Tel Aviv Heat side, and enjoyed their win today, but if Wasps never play again, then I suspect once the Heat's campaign ends, it'll be time for a long break from the game and I'll see if my passion returns for the world cup next year. I can't see myself following any other club though.

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2022, 09:55:32 PM »
Love rugby played at amateur level for a lot of years then became season ticket holders at Wasps 2016/17. Always thought rugby was great for the family no trouble and great mixing with opposition fans. Bought into the rugby family that has been shattered now the way Worcester and Wasps have been left as postscripts. We are now like a lot of Wasps fans, I have had it with the premiership and England . Rugby family what a joke.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 10:10:18 PM »
Guess the worst is I find myself hoping the whole house of cards  collapses, and the 4 rich clubs wanting the cap up get nobody to play with, shut out of their dream Euro league because the other nations don't actually want to have a Euro league. It would leave a lot of fans with no club short term, but perhaps we can all start again under the rfu minus those clubs. Call it the championship or whatever. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 10:26:11 PM by westwaleswasp »

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 12:21:01 AM »
Much the same here. On Friday I had a momentary lapse thinking it had gone 12.30 and I hadn’t looked at the team announcement yet, only to realise…

I haven’t bothered with any of the games this weekend, other than a glimpse at Quins v Leics where it felt like looking in at a happy club carrying on without missing a step and we’d never been a part of it. Not missed, never will be. All too much to stomach.

I keep hoping against hope, searching news and hunting online for something that means we are going to be ok. It feels like this is all just a bad dream and I’ll wake up soon and all will be ok. I can’t face Launch in a Quins shirt or Alfie up at Sale, it’s too painful. Had a mate message me on my birthday last week to say he’d bought me a Wasps season ticket for next season as a present (chortle, chortle) which made me pretty angry.

I’ll wait until administration is confirmed and cancel BT Sport and might look into Premier sport so I can watch the Top 14. I’m angry with PRL and the RFU for washing their hands of us so quickly yet pandering to the whims of what looks like Chiefs and the Cheats with their U turn to a 10 club league rather than the 14 they wanted mere weeks ago. The nonsense coming out of both bodies to cover their about turn is to cover their backsides.

I was getting fed up with Jones and England anyway, but after the RFU so publicly washed their hands of us I’m done with English rugby. I’ll support Shaun Edwards in the Internationals and World Cup - another decent man shafted by the RFU.

I’m angry with the way the club has mismanaged it’s finances too. The training centre gave new hope but it seems like it was a false dawn only partially paid for. We’ve been lead up the garden path, the game has fallen into the hands of greedy sociopaths and brick topped blazers and egotists. I feel for all those who have lost their livelihoods and have to move on. For us fans it just looks like we’ll be left with a big empty hole at weekends where every other game becomes a painful reminder of where we no longer are.

155 years gone in a flash, with the powers that be not even pausing for thought before taking a bite out of their next prawn sandwich…
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:28:36 AM by Andywasp50 »

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2022, 12:04:41 PM »
Agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, it will leave a big hole in my life, rugby is the only part of winter I like, it is the grain of comfort as the days become colder and the nights longer. I've lost interest in England under Eddie anyway, and the way the RFU are watching is die is only making me more bitter to the whole set up.

I did put it to my mates on Saturday that we could watch Plymouth Albion more regularly, but, as I've said in another thread, the product on offer simply isn't worth the price of a ticket. I really am at a loss of how to get a rugby fix from now

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »
I spent time last night looking at my wardrobe and realising just how many of my clothes are black and gold and/or Wasp branded. It’s such an integral part of my life and certainly where friends are concerned basically defines me.

My God Daughter lost her mum suddenly at 9 years of age and we started to take her to Wasps with us. Wasps saw her through a difficult time and gave her room to vent her feelings where no one batted an eye lid. We met Jimmy Gopperth, Dan Robson and Willy Le Roux and they were not only enormously kind but they went out of their way to do so. You can’t buy that. Incidentally she is now playing for her local club.

I think of the last minute kick that Jimmy Gopperth scored to take us through to the Euro Semis with 24000 watching. You can’t buy elation like that. Can you go somewhere else and try to recreate it? I think not.

We’ll survive in some form or another and as long as it’s not merging into another entity which won’t have the ethos of Wasps then I’ll be there. Wherever it is.

Once a Wasp always a Wasp.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Pompeyman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
Me too Harry the Wasp, I was there with my wife and 3 boys when Jimmy nailed that kick. Wasps has been a huge part of my life and that of my family. We have seen so many games live and on TV,  so many occasions  - good and bad results  ! All the players and coaches felt like part of the family too, - especially the ones who grew up there. Anyway didn't watch any rugby at the weekend, couldn't face it. We shall see what happens and just hope our club survives, somehow.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »
We have been fans for a lot less time than most having started watching a few years before the move to Coventry.  There have been some great memories - my daughters as mascots running out with Serge Betsen and Thomas Young, the kindness of a group of fans who invited our family to join them in their box against Sale when my wife had MND and wanted to see Danny Cipriani one last time, then when he made the Sale coach wait for him whilst he came over to chat with her after the game, the last gasp survival against Newcastle....the list goes on. 

My eldest wants to watch Quins as our friend follows them, but I have no interest.  I didn't even look up any scores this weekend it is just irrelevant.  I don't care if the whole house of cards comes crashing down, if Saracens end up playing with themselves, if the RFU implode or if everything carries on as normal without Wasps.  I couldn't care less; all I hope is that the RFU have enough money to properly compensate all those players who have developed various neurological injuries in recent years, after that, meh, I'm done.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 01:45:09 PM »
For me the most memorable moments following Wasps were at Lansdowne Rd, when Wasps overturned a 32-22 lead to win 37-32 with BTL scored at the death. Similarly, a month later at HQ in what will be remembered for ever, events in Howley Corner.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2022, 01:49:29 PM »
I am getting annoyed at the stupid comments I receive at work such as " what are you going to do about your Wasps Tattoo" and who are you going to support now?

Like many others I was this weekend and will be from now on ignoring the games on TV and the results of the other teams and will have to fill my weekends with something else to do.

For those of you who wish to cancel BT Sport but are stuck in a contract we was able to swap BT Sport for Netflix and Now TV which includes Sky Atlantic and other Sky channels for only £1 a month more.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2022, 02:05:48 PM »
For those of you who wish to cancel BT Sport but are stuck in a contract we was able to swap BT Sport for Netflix and Now TV which includes Sky Atlantic and other Sky channels for only £1 a month more.

Thank you for the suggestion, I am one of those that is stuck with BT Sport in a contract. This is well worth a look, thank you!

I suppose if I wanted to share my reasons for getting rid of BT Sport, I would need to contact them directly rather than going through my provider (Virgin in my case)?