Always a Wasp

Author Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish.  (Read 1716 times)

Covguy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
So long and thanks for all the fish.
« on: October 17, 2022, 03:45:46 PM »
It’s finally come to pass. No words. Empty. Maybe small hope exists but it wont be with the same group of players or staff.

Wasps as I know it has gone for good.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
I do still hold hope that a professional Wasps will still come out of the ashes, but I have accepted that this is very unlikely.

I will still be involved with the game; I'll support my local club (Lichfield) who are more deserving of my £££ than any Prem club. BT Sport will be going soon.

It was a pleasure to be in your presence and let's try and keep in touch!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 04:05:18 PM »
I do still hold hope that a professional Wasps will still come out of the ashes, but I have accepted that this is very unlikely.

I will still be involved with the game; I'll support my local club (Lichfield) who are more deserving of my £££ than any Prem club. BT Sport will be going soon.

If it does then it will not be this Wasps. All it will share is the name.  For the little it proved to be worth the team that just died had a direct lineage back to 1867 when they split from Hampstead.  One of the oldest and most successful teams in world rugby, who played some of the best rugby ever seen is no more.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 04:45:49 PM »

If it does then it will not be this Wasps. All it will share is the name.  For the little it proved to be worth the team that just died had a direct lineage back to 1867 when they split from Hampstead.  One of the oldest and most successful teams in world rugby, who played some of the best rugby ever seen is no more.

I get what you're saying VV and I understand that it wouldn't be the Wasps we knew and loved. My opinion is that I'd rather support a "new" Wasps than losing it entirely.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 04:50:15 PM »
All of the staff are redundant. I can’t see how a club emerges at all. The vultures were only (inevitably) interested in the real estate and our only hope (Armstrong bid) was squashed by the other teams. There’s nothing to be rescued now.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »
I get what you're saying VV and I understand that it wouldn't be the Wasps we knew and loved. My opinion is that I'd rather support a "new" Wasps than losing it entirely.

Pretty much my sentiments at the time of the Coventry move.  I didn't like it.  My initial reaction was to walk away, but it turned out that, like you I'd rather support a "new" Wasps than lose it entirely.  Now that "new" Wasps is no more.  Only this time all the players, coaches and everyone who made the club what it was have also gone, so this really is the end.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 05:15:04 PM »
I'd take a new Wasps- but let us be clear. The amateurs are happy as they are, and the idea of another us coming back anywhere is lunacy without a big buyer. The only way I think we would come back would be if the whole prem collapsed to 6 or 7 teams, and the RFU stepped in with central contracts and a new league, where the Wasps name might live on as some RFU franchise.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 05:18:01 PM »
All of the staff are redundant. I can’t see how a club emerges at all. The vultures were only (inevitably) interested in the real estate and our only hope (Armstrong bid) was squashed by the other teams. There’s nothing to be rescued now.

This just isn't true. The rules of the competition we were in were clear. Administration = relegation and forfeit of P shares. It wasn't a situation the rest of the clubs decided to get together and apply to us.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 05:53:23 PM »
OK Peej, can’t really summon the energy to debate. Safe to say ours and Worcesters situations plus a few others has been widely known about for a long time. Time enough for 13 people to meet if they had any appetite for it. They didn’t. Good luck to them.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 06:00:16 PM »
No, I don't want to fight either to be honest.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 10:12:18 PM »

This just isn't true. The rules of the competition we were in were clear. Administration = relegation and forfeit of P shares. It wasn't a situation the rest of the clubs decided to get together and apply to us.

+1

Hate what's happened but I ain't blaming the other teams.

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 09:51:21 AM »
Thanks to the players,coaches, backroom staff and lastly to all the fellow Waspies it has been a pleasure to be with on matchday home and away.
OAWAW.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:53:04 AM by Nrgee »

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 10:02:11 AM »

+1

Hate what's happened but I ain't blaming the other teams.

Maybe not yet until all the facts are known but if it turns out to be true that Armstrong's bid was turned down due to the teams/PRL not allowing Wasps to keep the P shares then yes they will very much be blamed for our extinction.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 10:11:58 AM »
Decent coverage of the story in Mud&Blood podcast's news round up this week. They at least give credit to Wasps for trying something different, and an interesting comparison of the bond finance plan to the IRFU.

I haven't got to the BBC Rugby Union Weekly pod yet. Jamie George the guest so not sure I want to hear his take on where we went wrong given how "Sarries is great" he always is when on.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
Jim and Goodey had Steve Vaughan on theirs this week which was recorded yesterday.  Out today/tomorrow at somepoint.