Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Leicester in talks to sign Charlie as rivals move for Alfie and Jack.  (Read 2572 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Much coveted fly-half is discussing a move to Welford Road while Bristol and Bordeaux are weighing up bids for Wasps' team-mates

From the Telegraph.

Leicester Tigers have opened talks with Charlie Atkinson over a deal that would take the Wasps fly-half to Mattioli Woods Welford Road this season.

Sources have indicated to Telegraph Sport that Leicester are monitoring the situations of three more of Wasps' senior players. Meanwhile, Bristol Bears have been linked with Jack Willis and Alfie Barbeary is known to have held discussions with at least three Premiership clubs as he weighs up the prospect of heading to France with Union Bordeaux Bègles .

Atkinson, only 21 years old and a bright young talent of English rugby, will be one of the most coveted members of the stricken Wasps squad, all of whom are looking for new jobs after being made redundant on Monday.

It is understood that Saracens is another potential destination, but joining the reigning Premiership champions ticks a lot of boxes. It would be a short move across the Midlands for him and would give Atkinson, who has been named by Eddie Jones in various England training camps, the chance to work under Steve Borthwick.

Reacting to Monday's announcement that Wasps had entered administration and all players and men's coaching staff had been made redundant, Atkinson said on Twitter: "Absolutely heartbroken with the news that’s come out today. The breakup of a family that meant so much to the whole Wasps community. Unbelievable players, staff and fans over the years that have helped create friendships and memories which will undoubtedly last a lifetime”

Handre Pollard, currently injured, and Freddie Burns are the two senior fly-halves at Tigers with the versatile Jimmy Gopperth having arrived from Wasps over the summer.

Burns is out of contract at the end of the current campaign and there is recent history of players coming to Leicester on short-term contracts before earning longer stays. Chris Ashton, picked up as a free agent, and Nic Dolly represent just two examples.

World Cup-winning conditioning guru Aled Walters is known to be a big draw for Leicester recruits, as is the opportunity to play in front of a packed crowd at Welford Road.

As far as Leicester’s salary cap space for Atkinson and any others, some will be freed up before Christmas with the departures of Nemani Nadolo and Bryce Hegarty, both of whom are travelling to Australia to play in Super Rugby with the Waratahs and Western Force, respectively.

Tigers, who contributed five players to Jones’ 36-man squad for the autumn internationals, will also receive salary-cap credits for their England contingent.

Atkinson, a combative and tough defender as well as a skilful playmaker with a dangerous running game, came through the Wasps academy and represented England at age-grade level.

Since making his Premiership debut for Wasps in August 2020 as a teenager, he gradually established himself as first-choice fly-half. Borthwick is fond of positional versatility and Atkinson is a capable full-back, too.

This so bloody sad but can you blame them? They're out of work with no income and it will keep their dreams alive. When I was out of work in the early 70s I tried just about everything - including going for an interview as a private detective! No, I didn't get it but I still wish I had ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester in talks to sign Charlie as rivals move for Alfie and Jack.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 06:09:36 PM »
Sad but understandable as long as nobody goes to Barnet.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 06:13:19 PM »
I think, if I were any of them, I would steer clear of any club that might also be in financial difficulties, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 06:19:45 PM »
To be honest, painful though it is, I hope they all get somewhere. It will be the “squad” players I feel for most.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 06:36:30 PM »
There was an article stating that this could be the start of Central contracts, and with Jack without a club contract he could be the first for the rfu.

But I wonder if players would want it.
Especially while Eddie is in charge, very few are guaranteed of being in the England squad so I'm not sure how that would work.

When signed to a club, a player would get their club salary and the England top up.
A central contract would likely need to be a serious amount to be worth it for the players

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 07:12:52 PM »
To be honest, painful though it is, I hope they all get somewhere. It will be the “squad” players I feel for most.
And the long term injured like Stooke as they need to show full fitness and they still have their game. I fancy him for Captain of a Championship side if we get one, but that's real Pie in the Sky .

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »
There was an article stating that this could be the start of Central contracts, and with Jack without a club contract he could be the first for the rfu.

But I wonder if players would want it.
Especially while Eddie is in charge, very few are guaranteed of being in the England squad so I'm not sure how that would work.

When signed to a club, a player would get their club salary and the England top up.
A central contract would likely need to be a serious amount to be worth it for the players

But presumably if you get a central contract you will be almost guaranteed a place in a matchday squad/ travelling reserves ? Can’t see EJ ( or anyone else for that matter) push for someone to have central contract, and then not use them. Would be an admission of getting it wrong.

And in these uncertain times maybe a lower but guaranteed amount is better for a player than a club contract .

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 07:36:19 PM »
To be honest, painful
though it is, I hope they all get somewhere. It will be the “squad” players I feel for most.
And the long term injured like Stooke as they need to show full fitness and they still have their game. I fancy him for Captain of a Championship side if we get one, but that's real Pie in the Sky .
If we retain anyone of the calibre of Stooke we’ve won.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 07:12:34 AM »
Plus 1

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 08:42:01 AM »
If we retain anyone of the calibre of Stooke we’ve won.

+1 as well.

Back on the original topic, I'm sure I saw somewhere that Ulster were interested in Tom Willis. Would at least mean he'd be unlikely to come up against his brother during the regular season!

Be tough watching the lads turn out in other colours - bad enough seeing Jimmy in Tigers kit already!

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 09:50:04 AM »
Biyi is training with Racing 92 this morning.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 10:19:32 AM »

Great news for Biyi and fingers crossed that something happens for him.

From the wilderness to Cov to Wasps to Racing 92 (hopefully) is a heck of a journey.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 12:34:03 PM »

Great news for Biyi and fingers crossed that something happens for him.

From the wilderness to Cov to Wasps to Racing 92 (hopefully) is a heck of a journey.

Well done Biyi. Remember they have Wadey on their books as well.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 01:01:49 PM »

Racing becoming a strong contender to be my "new" team.  (Not sure I quite have the stomach for it yet though)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2022, 01:06:28 PM »

Racing becoming a strong contender to be my "new" team.  (Not sure I quite have the stomach for it yet though)

Already said at home I want to visit this season. Biyi and Wade could be cherries on the cake. No more PRL for us.
Let me tell you something cucumber