Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BB talks to Lee  (Read 850 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BB talks to Lee
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »

"We've never been able to spend the cap in the time I've been in the job, we've not been close to it," Blackett said.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »
Without wanting to sound disrespectful, I think that's probably why Lee got the job.
It's usually cheaper to promote from within than to recruit the best for the job

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
Really hard interview to read. Shows the camaraderie in the squad that many stayed on less than they might get elsewhere. Conversely makes it all the harder that the group will be dismantled.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
Sorry  -  can't  read it.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 03:28:35 PM »
It does explain why the team haven't been firing as we know they can, they must have had the financial issues hanging over their heads for the last couple of years.
It's actually extremely impressive that Wasps have been able to put together a team that, on their day, could beat anyone with a shoe string budget way below the salary cap

Whilst I would not expect any player to stay at a club on an un-competitive salary, they have families to feed after all, its a massive testament to the players who have stuck at it & the coaching staff who have persuaded them to do it (and presumably also worked for less than they worth?).
Just increases my sadness at seeing it all going under....

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 03:35:06 PM »
Without wanting to sound disrespectful, I think that's probably why Lee got the job.
It's usually cheaper to promote from within than to recruit the best for the job
That, and the team did rather well for the rest of the season.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 03:35:58 PM »
It does explain why the team haven't been firing as we know they can, they must have had the financial issues hanging over their heads for the last couple of years.
It's actually extremely impressive that Wasps have been able to put together a team that, on their day, could beat anyone with a shoe string budget way below the salary cap

Whilst I would not expect any player to stay at a club on an un-competitive salary, they have families to feed after all, its a massive testament to the players who have stuck at it & the coaching staff who have persuaded them to do it (and presumably also worked for less than they worth?).
Just increases my sadness at seeing it all going under....

Wasps are not the only team to operate under the cap. I would guess only 4 or 5 of the clubs run close to (or more likely over) the cap, but that marginal difference is enough to sign the players you want, and give other clubs the leavings.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »
We now know why Christian Wade wasn't signed.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 05:34:19 PM »
Very hard read. I reminds me that Wasps are a family and one that I owe at least a bit to in the past. I rewatched "the Sting" re the Heineken win the other day - and was in tears all the way through. That was a difficult time for me personally and Wasps success was something that was going well and I could identify with.

I do hope something can come out of this.