Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TIGERS FREE TICKETS  (Read 3650 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TIGERS FREE TICKETS
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 10:29:15 PM »
I am puzzled by some of the 'angry' responses here. I took this as a nice gesture from Tigers. Whenever I have visited them, the staff and fans have been nothing other than great.

I cannot say that I will be taking them up on the offer, but since Covid and my heart attack, I have had to severely curtail what I do and where I go outside my home.

I speak for myself, and probably a lot of fans. We are in pain, but please recognise that the club is where it is because it owes, according to Stephen Vaughan, over £100m. No one forced Wasps to get that far in to debt, it was choices made by the management since the 'dark days'. For the last few years, Wasps have been a corpse still walking. Could things have been different? Yes, we could have simply folded way back then instead.

But do not 'blame' the other clubs. Self interest is inevitable, as is bending of the rules. To misquote Barbossa, "The rules is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules."

+1

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 10:51:19 PM »
I thinknits really interesting and quite telling that Steve Vaughan has managed to shift rhe blame onto the "management" while conveniently not mentioning that he was CEO and therefore ultimately in charge of the management.

Everyone was thrilled when he came on board because he was supposed to turn us around, but what did he actually manage to do?

Cut the player budget, remove the match day experience, and bin our DoR without replacing him.

And yet he's the good guy...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 11:18:48 PM »
I thinknits really interesting and quite telling that Steve Vaughan has managed to shift rhe blame onto the "management" while conveniently not mentioning that he was CEO and therefore ultimately in charge of the management.

Everyone was thrilled when he came on board because he was supposed to turn us around, but what did he actually manage to do?

Cut the player budget, remove the match day experience, and bin our DoR without replacing him.

As things stand, he's the only one talking so he may be spinning us another line.
I still not happy with Dai having gone, and the wider matchday experience is part of what made the weekends exciting back then.

However, if we take his word for it, we'd have been in this position much earlier if costs weren't cut.
I still don't really know the exact definition of breaking even, but if that genuinely means the was likely to be some light at the end of the tunnel (even though we didn't even know we were in a tunnel) then it may have been worthwhile.

For now, he's the only person keeping peoples hopes up of the club having any kind of future

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 11:29:43 PM »

It’s a fair point VV. I struggle to see a scenario where he comes out with any credit.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 07:12:19 AM »
Must say thar re: Dai:  I'm glad he's gone.  For the first 2 years of his tenure he was superb.  For the last 2 years  -  a totally different story. 

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 07:57:43 AM »

Looked at his LinkedIn page when this first blew up. Can’t say he’s had any great success at any of the companies listed where he has had a major role. Unless he likes lost causes.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 09:07:57 AM »
Dai was a disaster in his last 18 months. It was obvious that the style in 2017 was not what he wanted, it was what he got with fiver at 10 and a superstar back line, and put up with whilst we were winning.
Had Dai been Shaun, Danny would never have left, they were and are very close, and if there is one pivotal moment on the playing front, it was Danny going, and his replacement by a much more conservative 10. We would never have fallen as far in playing terms.
Check out the post above with Danny interviewing Wade. Sober reading from Dai's perspective.
I am grateful for Dai's time at the club, but he needed to go with his head held high rather than hang on, he was right to leave when he did.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 09:16:03 AM »
I think it is good intentions, but wouldn't do that to myself. It isn't just that I have lost interest in Prem rugby, it is literally irritating to me now. I have a funny feeling that if I do dip my toe back into watching club rugby, it will more likely be Top14. Maybe see how the ex-Wasps are getting on at Racing.

After the French have stopped striking we intend to go over and watch a match. Easy to get tickets - just need to see which one.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 09:24:08 AM »
Have a good time Neils et al!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 10:33:58 AM »
Stephen’s greatest achievement was getting CCFC back to the Ricoh in c.March 2021.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 12:16:36 PM »
Must say thar re: Dai:  I'm glad he's gone.  For the first 2 years of his tenure he was superb.  For the last 2 years  -  a totally different story.

I'm by no means saying that everything he touched turned to gold.
Just that he was a good, honourable guy who did everything they he believed to be correct for the club.

I don't know what was said in that meeting when he left, but as we're finding out now, we were already massively in debt and some of his decisions were likely being overridden from above

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 02:16:21 PM »
None of which alters that it was probably best for all concerned. Dai kept his honour, reputation, and integrity. Had he stayed longer I don't think it would have happened in such a beneficial way for all parties.
Dai is home, by and large we moved on- another heartbreaking final with a different team. Certainly not holding what happened with Dai as a black mark for SV. Quite the opposite, it seemed to be well handled.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 02:24:51 PM »
Sorry ... he sank deeply in my estimation.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 09:03:21 PM »
Who, Dai or Stephen?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 09:34:48 PM »
Dai.