Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More off  (Read 2445 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: More off
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »
It feels like all professional sport is built on very wealthy owners willing to invest spend large sums of money when required

Fixed that for you wasps.

So very very true
Thank you

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 01:19:48 PM »
But surely there is a limit to what even the wealthiest is willing to lose?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 02:21:02 PM »
But surely there is a limit to what even the wealthiest is willing to lose?

Yeah, definitely.
But in a world where a single premiership footballer earns £5m per year, and the very best earn 3x or 4x that figure, plus they have £30m+ transfer fees, then the cost to run an entire rugby club is practically inconsequential.

That being said, someone coming in to own wasps would surely only do it if they had a love for the club already.... And I feel that there aren't any people with that kind of disposable income who love wasps

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 03:15:35 PM »
There are limits. What sticks rather - is being told elsewhere that we only went under due to poor financial management. From fans of clubs where their particular "sponsor" just wrote off any debts....Which is hardly good financial management.

I've stopped trying to correct - it was doing my had in!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 03:24:27 PM »
It’s a good point Mike. The naivety of the clubs propped up by benefactors is amazing. Firstly they are the least sustainable clubs. Secondly they are part of the reason others become less sustainable and thirdly they don’t recognise that their actions will eventually kill the game. Maybe it’s time for a football style financial fair play where only an agreed multiple of income is allowed on expenditure. If nothing else it will give those who circumvent the cap a new ruse to work on.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »
It’s a good point Mike. The naivety of the clubs propped up by benefactors is amazing. Firstly they are the least sustainable clubs. Secondly they are part of the reason others become less sustainable and thirdly they don’t recognise that their actions will eventually kill the game. Maybe it’s time for a football style financial fair play where only an agreed multiple of income is allowed on expenditure. If nothing else it will give those who circumvent the cap a new ruse to work on.

Do you honestly think the vested interests will allow change?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2022, 03:55:38 PM »
Not a chance.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 04:10:47 PM »
It’s a good point Mike. The naivety of the clubs propped up by benefactors is amazing. Firstly they are the least sustainable clubs. Secondly they are part of the reason others become less sustainable and thirdly they don’t recognise that their actions will eventually kill the game.
Thanks Shugs - it's mainly been EA's fans - and I try and ignore them.....according to them they are the victims now. It certainly seems beyond them and others to realise what the situation is. I have a little more time for Bath.....their operating loss (least that reported in local press) was not far off the cost of putting up temp stands....but even with decent crowds, they rely upon Bruce. And on the odd occasion that a nearby STH offers a seat - Bath's nice enough for a pint!

But if Bath are struggling to cover costs with decent support (last pre covid better than us and without the "finances" issues) that sells near out most games, then rugby is in a hole. Without those outside funds.