Always a Wasp

Author Topic: London Irish to Brentford  (Read 2250 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
London Irish to Brentford
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:26:23 AM »
Now confirmed.  London Irish will be tenants of Brentford FC from 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46440769
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: London Irish to Brentford
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
I was just about to post the same.

Good luck to them. They've been through a bad patch recently, and hopefully this'll help turn them around.
However, like us, they need to rebuild part of a fan base as not everyone will be happy traveling the M4 every other week.

The downsise of this is that it'll restart all the stories about why we didn't move to Brentford... Even though at the time they were adamant they wouldn't allow rugby there, if I recall

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
I'm sure some people will see this as an opportunity to slate us for not moving there.  But why on earth would we agree to be a tenant somewhere instead of owning somewhere?

And let's face it that ignores the fact that we were faced with having to move away from Adams Park years ago and Brentford isn't available for another two years.  What were we supposed to do in the mean time?  Throw some jumpers on the grass for posts in the local park?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
Who are they renting from? The football club or the council? Its good that they've secured a more suitable sized ground but won't they still be in the similar position as before by being tenants?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »
I'm sure some people will see this as an opportunity to slate us for not moving there.  But why on earth would we agree to be a tenant somewhere instead of owning somewhere?

And let's face it that ignores the fact that we were faced with having to move away from Adams Park years ago and Brentford isn't available for another two years.  What were we supposed to do in the mean time?  Throw some jumpers on the grass for posts in the local park?

The timeframe is a  huge consideration. Wait 6? years for a project in which we'd still be tenants.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »
Who are they renting from? The football club or the council? Its good that they've secured a more suitable sized ground but won't they still be in the similar position as before by being tenants?

It'ls the Football Club

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
Shame, Reading was real easy to get to by road and was a nice little ride on a motorbike. More importantly I hope it's a good move for the Club and their supporters.