Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Telegraph article confirming P Share gone.  (Read 3241 times)

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Telegraph article confirming P Share gone.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 10:29:04 PM »
If I were BT, I’d demand that contract is renegotiated as PRL is not offering up what was agreed.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 11:10:23 AM »
If I were BT, I’d demand that contract is renegotiated as PRL is not offering up what was agreed.

IMO that would depend on how they propose to structure next season. If, for example, PRL & the RFU merged the Prem & Champ into two even "conferences" there might actually be scope to ask BT to pay more because there would be more matches & potentially increased interest from Championship club supporters.
Not commenting either way on whether that's a good idea but given the lack of imagination in both organisations I can't see them coming up with anything original.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 11:20:33 AM »
I think BT have grounds to kick up a stink this season, the product being supplied is not the product they thought they were getting. Admittedly that depends on the wording of the contract, but you can bet that they will be ultra-cautious for next season.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »
I think BT have grounds to kick up a stink this season, the product being supplied is not the product they thought they were getting. Admittedly that depends on the wording of the contract, but you can bet that they will be ultra-cautious for next season.

I think BT would be quite happy with the quality of the games they're showing at the moment.  The Prem games this season have largely been exciting with good rugby played.  That's great from a TV perspective.  We may well have a jaded view of the competition not being quite so good without us in it, but i'm not sure many non-Wasps/Warriors fans would agree with that.

BT opting to negotiate down their deal because of the number of teams involved being cut by 2 would likely exacerbate problems, than solve anything.  If they're seeking to re-negotiate because of an impact to subscriber/viewing figures then that's very different, but i've not read anything suggest there's been a hit on those. 

Has anyone else?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 11:29:02 AM »

I think BT would be quite happy with the quality of the games they're showing at the moment.  The Prem games this season have largely been exciting with good rugby played.  That's great from a TV perspective.  We may well have a jaded view of the competition not being quite so good without us in it, but i'm not sure many non-Wasps/Warriors fans would agree with that.

BT opting to negotiate down their deal because of the number of teams involved being cut by 2 would likely exacerbate problems, than solve anything.  If they're seeking to re-negotiate because of an impact to subscriber/viewing figures then that's very different, but i've not read anything suggest there's been a hit on those. 

Has anyone else?

BT have, behind the scenes, been very vocal about changes in the past - eg offering games terrestrially etc. It also depends how many Wasps/WW fans cancelled BT and told them why.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2022, 11:34:41 AM »
Devil's advbocate time:

BT are getting the same number of games that they paid for. They were renowned for being reluctant to show Worcester games and rarely went to Six Ways. They did show a few of our games, most likely because the CBS arena offered them good facilities and we used to provide entertaining games.

BT can now show more top of the table games, about the only thing they are missing out on is a relegation struggle.

So maybe BT aren't that bothered.

On the other hand clubs are being shown more on TV so there's less incentive for fans to attend games and certainly less incentive for those who have only a passing interest in their local club to attend.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2022, 11:35:42 AM »
I think BT would be quite happy with the quality of the games they're showing at the moment.

I agree, IMO the rugby has actually been pretty good.
The issue I have is that with less games each week, there's less variety & can't get excited about seeing Exeter for example, three weeks on the trot.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »

IMO that would depend on how they propose to structure next season. If, for example, PRL & the RFU merged the Prem & Champ into two even "conferences" there might actually be scope to ask BT to pay more because there would be more matches & potentially increased interest from Championship club supporters.
Not commenting either way on whether that's a good idea but given the lack of imagination in both organisations I can't see them coming up with anything original.

But surely if Championship clubs become part of the TV package then they will expect a slice of that revenue for themselves, leaving less for those who are already seeking to capitalise on the demise of Wasps and Worcester.

I fully expect BT to be looking to renegotiate and to be driving a pretty hard bargain.  PRL aren't in a particularly strong negotiating position right now.  Broadcasters aren't exactly queueing up.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2022, 12:00:15 PM »
But surely if Championship clubs become part of the TV package then they will expect a slice of that revenue for themselves, leaving less for those who are already seeking to capitalise on the demise of Wasps and Worcester.

A very good reason why it will probably never happen  :)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 12:26:18 PM »
I wonder what BT's thoughts on their contract would be if the league reduces to 10 which seems to be the preferred number?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2022, 04:19:12 PM »
I read a while back that Wasp matches are the most viewed prem ones on BT.
Cancelling only works out of contract. In contract you just get the VAT back, so it will be a while before the full impact is felt. More so if another club or two goes in the next 12 months.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2022, 05:39:46 PM »
BT will play hardball as they’ll probably be the only show in town.