Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Relegation confirmed - Takeover needs to be completed by Monday  (Read 4897 times)

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Relegation confirmed - Takeover needs to be completed by Monday
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 06:48:19 PM »
Oxford FC have a lease there until 2026, but are looking at building a new stadium just outside Kidlington. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we might be looking to move to the Kassam and then follow Oxford to their new home if it happens.

When travelling to watch my local level 7 team last season playing at Gosford All Blacks, I found a decent 2 storey club house (bar and viewing veranda over pitch) and several pitches which seemed to me the best resourced rugby club in Oxford area (whilst not having visited Ox harlequins new plastic ground at horspath).

I was told then that the grounds had been sold to football, which I thought a shame for grassroots rugby.

Was up there again a few weeks ago and no change at that time!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2022, 08:36:03 PM »

When travelling to watch my local level 7 team last season playing at Gosford All Blacks, I found a decent 2 storey club house (bar and viewing veranda over pitch) and several pitches which seemed to me the best resourced rugby club in Oxford area (whilst not having visited Ox harlequins new plastic ground at horspath).

I was told then that the grounds had been sold to football, which I thought a shame for grassroots rugby.

That would be my old club Marlow. 34-7 W. Going well this season, but a couple of recent Ls, particular against Chinnor 3rds, have stalled them slightly.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2022, 11:04:41 PM »
Oxford FC have a lease there until 2026, but are looking at building a new stadium just outside Kidlington. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we might be looking to move to the Kassam and then follow Oxford to their new home if it happens.

A friend of mine is an ex Gosford player. Apparently as part of the deal Oxford United are buying them and building a new ground.

That said, those plans have now been scrapped and a new site nearby has been put forward: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23171514.site-new-oxford-united-stadium-last-green-gap/

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2022, 12:47:48 PM »
Selfishly Oxford would be great.  Not too many 5k-10k Stadium options within a sensible distance of the EPIC.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2022, 04:52:41 PM »
Selfishly Oxford would be great.  Not too many 5k-10k Stadium options within a sensible distance of the EPIC.

It would but Kidlington would be better.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2022, 05:52:51 PM »

It would be for you, LOL.

That site mentioned is already a football and cricket club site. Great access, but I wonder how the current teams there would feel about being turfed out?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »

It would be for you, LOL.

That site mentioned is already a football and cricket club site. Great access, but I wonder how the current teams there would feel about being turfed out?

My reading of it is that the initial proposal was a site with existing community sports clubs, but that proved problematic, so an adjacent plot has been identified and is now being explored.  You will always meet local opposition to any proposed development, regardless of potential local and wider community benefits.  If the intent is there on the part of the Council, then they will get it over the line.

Covguy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2022, 11:13:38 AM »
With Bobby Bridge no longer reporting on wasps it’s difficult to find out latest status. Worcester guy quite active and seems they have some flexibility over Monday deadline. For wasps has anyone a clue if we will meet deadline or not? My feeling is missing next year will kill off any realistic chance of survival in a form that is anything like the wasps we have just lost.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2022, 11:31:10 AM »
With Bobby Bridge no longer reporting on wasps it’s difficult to find out latest status. Worcester guy quite active and seems they have some flexibility over Monday deadline. For wasps has anyone a clue if we will meet deadline or not? My feeling is missing next year will kill off any realistic chance of survival in a form that is anything like the wasps we have just lost.

Quite likely some time after Monday we might get some idea. Wasps Legends & Co have been very quiiet about any actions as has our Administrator (as opposed to the WW one).
Let me tell you something cucumber

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
Does anything happen over the weekend on these sorts of things?

I assume administrators and potential purchasers would be happy to push on to get it over the line, but banks won't, and do courts need to give the final nod to whatever % in the pound will be paid back?

And would the RFU progress the owners tests over the weekend? We've seen how the Worcester bid has been delayed by those tests alone, never mind the due diligence process the administrators would have to carry out.

We have to assume it is in progress but at 5pm today, there is only one business day left.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2022, 12:37:12 PM »
The RFU are probably now on holiday for Christmas!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2022, 02:28:00 PM »
The RFU are probably now on holiday for Christmas!!
Christmas? No, they're off until Easter now.....

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2022, 04:04:57 PM »
Because it's quiet that gives me more hope than slipping things out to the press.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2022, 04:21:14 PM »
Because it's quiet that gives me more hope than slipping things out to the press.

I share that view.