Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Playing and coaching staff rumours  (Read 8911 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playing and coaching staff rumours
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2022, 08:49:53 AM »
No chance those players like Charlie will return.

I know it is Christmas and we are all ( apart from a few especially on DW) ecstatic about the news but we need to be realistic that this has to be a building exercise both building a team and funding.
 Spend, spend, spend it ain't going to be.
Let me tell you something cucumber

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
+1 - Charlie is already an absolute star in my eyes as are both Willis brothers.

To get Tom back would be great - if that works for his career?

Think Tim has already signed somewhere for next year? he is in Australia for 6 months, but a smart lad so think he will have something "sorted".

To say that I don't care who wears the shirt is wrong because I do - massively, but I will put my trust in The Legends to deliver the best that they can in terms of coaches and players and then it is down to us to back them next season because what we have all gone through as fans has been horrible (and much worse for the players and staff as well).

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2022, 09:12:00 AM »

To say that I don't care who wears the shirt is wrong because I do - massively, but I will put my trust in The Legends to deliver the best that they can in terms of coaches and players and then it is down to us to back them next season because what we have all gone through as fans has been horrible (and much worse for the players and staff as well).

Even though I've struggled to get to games - it still matters to me who wears the shirt. I self identified as a proud Wasps back in 87 at the RWC in Oz & NZ, where I wanted Wasps players to excel. Probyn, Rendall, Davies, Andrew, Simms, Bailey - enjoyed seeing Kevin S scoring vs Japan at Concord Oval as an example. And I was a self identified Wasps fan at Tigers - the only one in a block of Tigers fans. Watching Tom V scoring a good one -getting up and cheering, only to bow, sarcastically, to amassed Tigers, thanking them for their support :-)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2022, 09:32:57 AM »
There are probably more talented players looking for a spot than there has ever been. For a couple of seasons at least Wasps could attract players if they believe they can ride with them back to the Premiership.

Got to admit I am a little cautious about all of this. I want to see Wasps rise, but not sure If like where that takes them. I don't really have much desire or stomach to watch Premiership and have preferred following our ex-players in French teams. Really hope the reorganisation is more than just painting over cracks...

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2022, 09:40:40 AM »
IMO anyone who thinks Wasps in the Championship will attract any of this seasons players back to play for them is delusional.
If any of them have decent offers at Prem or Top14 clubs why would they want to take a pay cut to play for Wasps?
If Wasps have enough cash at their disposal they should be able to attract a decent squad, as others have said there's a lot of decent players scratching around for work.
Likewise some academy lads may be attracted back by regular game time.
But I can't see the likes of Launch, the Willis', Atkinson or Barbeary wanting to swap Quins, France, Tigers or Bath for Solihull.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
Agreed. At best I’d be absolutely delighted to see any of Morris, Cardall, Harris, Millar-Mills, Wolstenholme, Cruse, Kibirige, Spink. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a hybrid coaching role for someone like Simpson. But I don’t think we’ll see anyone who you would say was in our nailed on 23 previously.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2022, 09:56:57 AM »
I understand  and completely agree with Neils and the Colonel.  But I can still dream!   :)    And I also  agree with the other above posters.  Alas.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2022, 10:30:04 AM »
I understand  and completely agree with Neils and the Colonel.  But I can still dream!   :)    And I also  agree with the other above posters.  Alas.
Yep, it’s like that period between buying a lottery ticket and checking the draws. There’s no point buying one if you can’t have a few idle dreams. 

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2022, 10:34:11 AM »
Just to make clear - it's the attitude and aims of players that matters when I say "it matters to me who wears the shirt."

I am under no delusions! about who we might be able to afford or who would want to play in the Championship - but having a "player-coach" figure like Jimmy (say) would be the sort of player I'd love to see in the shirt - alongside him and learning, perhaps some of the academy players who need regular gametime and for whom the Championship would be their next step. And with the bonus of knowing that it means to be a Wasp.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2022, 12:25:32 PM »
I think we can pick up some of the promising academy players we had. I would not be surprised to see someone like Jimmy pop up. I think if it looked like we could get promotion, I would expect one or two of the old crew to come back in the season after, perhaps. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2022, 12:53:30 PM »
I would expect one or two of the old crew to come back in the season after, perhaps.

If they have contracts elsewhere why would they?
The Wasps they knew has gone. The players they came through the academy with, that they celebrated wins with wont be there. The coaches who recruited them or brought them through the academy will no longer be there, the back room staff will be new...  Wasps will be a brand new place so unless there's money enough to bring them in or they sense something special going on that they want to be a part of, why would they come back?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2022, 12:58:14 PM »
I'm not convinced that the old players, especially the young ones and academy players, will want to come back. They had their whole world pulled from under them and it will have a been a traumatic experience. They are going to need a lot of convincing it won't happen again, as will a lot of people needed to fill non playing roles.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2022, 01:05:10 PM »
I'm not convinced that the old players, especially the young ones and academy players, will want to come back. They had their whole world pulled from under them and it will have a been a traumatic experience. They are going to need a lot of convincing it won't happen again, as will a lot of people needed to fill non playing roles.

Totally agree, unless they don't have anything better or course

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2022, 02:14:34 PM »
To be honest, part of me would be quite upset if players like Tom Willis were playing for us next season.

I suspect we'll be paying less than minimal wages (compared to premiership), and players like Tom should be getting so much more than that.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 04:46:04 PM »
If Borthwick isn't rebuilding the England squad after the WC around Tom, Jack & Charlie something has gone seriously wrong.