Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Playing and coaching staff rumours  (Read 8894 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Playing and coaching staff rumours
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2022, 05:01:04 PM »
Well at least he will have seen Charlie at first hand.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2022, 07:44:57 PM »
As Kevin Sinfield will have done.

Delighted to see him in the coaching team.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2022, 09:11:09 PM »
As Kevin Sinfield will have done.

Delighted to see him in the coaching team.
[/quote

What for Wasps!]
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
I would expect one or two of the old crew to come back in the season after, perhaps.

If they have contracts elsewhere why would they?
The Wasps they knew has gone. The players they came through the academy with, that they celebrated wins with wont be there. The coaches who recruited them or brought them through the academy will no longer be there, the back room staff will be new...  Wasps will be a brand new place so unless there's money enough to bring them in or they sense something special going on that they want to be a part of, why would they come back?
If Wasps made it into the Prem, as I suggested, why wouldn't they when their contracts expired elsewhere.
 We would be as good as any other Prem team, and if the person in charge was a Jimmy type figure, who knew them, why not?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2022, 09:43:06 PM »
Should also point out that I think the 20 team approach will fail, and Wasps will fail with it if they don't return to the Prem in 2 to 3 years. It is delusional to think a non ground owning team with Wasp's recent  history can survive in the championship over a 5 to 10 year period. That is the reality check needed, not 'we can't get to the prem', it is 'we won't exist out of it for very long.'

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2022, 09:56:07 PM »
If Borthwick isn't rebuilding the England squad after the WC around Tom, Jack & Charlie something has gone seriously wrong.

What in the heck.

Jack is a fringe squad player, Tom is way behind in pecking order because of insane depth and Charlie isn't ready yet.

Love those guys for Wasps, but ain't gonna build England around them. Just not happened that way sadly.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2022, 10:00:01 PM »
So you don’t think they’ll have matured in to some of the best players n the country by 2027?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2022, 07:36:58 AM »
So you don’t think they’ll have matured in to some of the best players n the country by 2027?

Jack will be 30, you won't "build the team" around a 30 year old. Atkinson might well be around the squad, but at 10 and back row there's others further up the pecking order (And to a certain degree, understandably). So to say "something's gone wrong if he's not building England around these players" is a bit hyperbolic.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2022, 09:24:36 AM »
Not sure about building the team around them but they should all be in the squad. J Willis is a unique player who has that X factor. T Willis is vying with Dombrandt to be the best 8 England have for me. Atkinson is probably still behind Smith, Ford for now but he’s the sort of player you’d want to get involved.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2022, 10:03:58 AM »
Not sure about building the team around them but they should all be in the squad. J Willis is a unique player who has that X factor. T Willis is vying with Dombrandt to be the best 8 England have for me. Atkinson is probably still behind Smith, Ford for now but he’s the sort of player you’d want to get involved.

This I can agree with.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2022, 10:21:51 AM »
Plus 1

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2022, 10:50:47 AM »
+2

I felt that our team was too often in recent years able to put out a more cohesive and plain better back row than England were. Shields, and Willis x 2 was rather more coherent a choice than a SR, a slow and past it 8 and an exhausted 7 who'd lost form, in 2021...

But I'd want Jack around the team - if he's 30 at the next RWC then that's about the mix of experience and fitness needed. Ditto Tom in many ways. The way he took on teams (I remember vs the EA's when OF got a red for decking Charlie "accidently") and showed form as an 8 in the Lol mode that isnt around so much these days.

Charlie may end up being the next Daly in many ways. Excellent at 10 and 15 and the man (like Daly) you'd want on the bench as he covers so much and...can come on and change a game  - in his case from 10.

But I'm just hoping Borthwick can take the players with him....including those three for starters.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2022, 12:28:07 PM »
Wasn't this a thread about who Wasps might attract in various roles and positions? Rather than yet another Engerland witterfest.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2022, 12:37:54 PM »
Wasn't this a thread about who Wasps might attract in various roles and positions? Rather than yet another Engerland witterfest.

You must be new here! Every thread usually turns into England, RFU or Saracens hate.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2022, 12:44:48 PM »
"Witterfest" Ta. Just complementing our ex-players ok?