Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Apparently a big announcement this week  (Read 5572 times)

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Apparently a big announcement this week
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
Although I wasn't in Toulouse (thank you BA) , through the grapevine I understand there will be a big announcement this week.

Not sure if this is about arrivals or departures...... watch this space.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently a big announcement this week
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
Oh that's interesting.  Got me wondering now...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »
Me too. There are so many possibilities. Any clues as to whether it is positive or negative news?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:32:42 PM »
If it's not something positive (which I will always hope it is!) my next best hope is that it is something that clears up any confusion, re: departures/arrivals etc.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
Here's hoping for an early Christmas present...

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
My guess is that it will be Dai letting us know who has signed new contracts out of those whose contract has ended. Gloucester put their 'news' out yesterday (7 have re-signed). I wonder if Cips was there on a one year only deal? He wasn't on the list.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »
My guess is that it will be Dai letting us know who has signed new contracts out of those whose contract has ended. Gloucester put their 'news' out yesterday (7 have re-signed). I wonder if Cips was there on a one year only deal? He wasn't on the list.

Cips supposedly signed a 2 year deal with them.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 06:18:52 AM »
Do you know that for a fact or are you assuming its 2 yrs? If I were to guess it would be 1 yr, if it is 2 then I'd expect some sort of get out clause for yr 2.

If Cips hasn't appeared on Glos press release for re-signings that that has all the hallmarks of what happened when he was in his last season with Wasps (or what most think happened last year.)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 06:55:08 AM »
I thought it was a two year deal. Could be wrong though.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:22:19 AM »
This article from the times suggests that it's a 2 year deal

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/danny-cipriani-takes-pay-cut-to-sign-for-gloucester-n69mznndx

However, as with all contracts, no one really knows what clauses may exist.

It could be 1 + 1, there could be a get out clause if he's not selected for England, or if he doesn't like the quality of the toilets or the food at lunchtime

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 07:26:20 AM »
If it is 2 years then that would explain why he's not on the re-signed press release then I guess

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
I heard at Toulouse a well-lubricated "Club high up" let it slip, amongst other thiings, that Daly is off because "he wants to play for the best side in England", and the driving force seems to be that his g/f is best friends with Farrell' g/f. The Club accepts that because he has been at the Club since he was at school, and they know that some players will always see greener grass elsewhere.

He also said that they were more upset by Hughes leaving because of all they had invested a lot in getting him his UK passport, treating his, mainly England, injuries and RFU "court costs", which they wouldn't be able to recover and other Clubs would get the benefit of.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
I don't have a problem with either player leaving. Hughes is out of contract so is a free agent. If the club feel hard done by all the previous hard work and effort they put in to bring him to England and allow him to develop then maybe Wasps and other clubs need to tighten up their contracts to cover all eventualities (i.e. if you get yourself banned for some non rugby related incident the player picks up the tab).

Daly (Briefcase) has given good service to Wasps so I won't begrudge him trying pastures new (although it would have been nice for him to see out his contract). I wonder if the signing of contracts of the training ground makes his get out clause a moot point now though. Will he have to buy himself out of the contract?

The days of players needing to feel a sense of loyalty to a club are now probably gone, and the clubs probably need to be aware of this.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
The days of players needing to feel a sense of loyalty to a club are now probably gone, and the clubs probably need to be aware of this.

I find it very hard to be critical of any players who move on for more money. Their playing careers are short. Every time I've moved jobs it has been for financial reasons. After all, money is pretty much the prime motivator for working. If you really like what you do then that is a bonus. But would you do it free? No.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »
the driving force seems to be that his g/f is best friends with Farrell's g/f

It has been pointed out elsewhere that Elliot's fiance is best mates with Dan Robson's g/f & has just set up a business with Craig Hampson's g/f

Just like "Daly wants to go to Sarries to be near his good mate Jamie George", happily ignoring that he'd be leaving his best mate Dan Robson behind.

So not sure how much you can read into all this talk of mates & g/f's, or even a lack of training facilities. IMO if Daly leaves this would all have been a smoke screen for wanting more money.