Always a Wasp

Author Topic: News incoming?  (Read 15041 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: News incoming?
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
IMO a number of poster really need to appreciate the situation Wasps are in.
They have the EPIC, the Wasps name & RFU approval to play in the Championship (which will have come with a number of caveats & restrictions)

THAT IS ALL THEY HAVE !! No players, no coaches, no back room staff (Pudsey excepted), no ground to play in, no sponsors, no local goodwill.

To suggest that in the time since Wasps went into administration till now the new owners should have been able to conjure up a move back to London (even though the RFU would never allow that at the moment) to a 15-20 thousand seat stadium with train links & ample parking is completely ridiculous IMO.
Beggars cannot be choosers so absolutely ANY incarnation of Wasps playing in the Champ at ANY ground is better than nothing. Forget getting back to the prem for now, its about getting a team out & playing in the first round of the Championship next September. Things can be built on after that.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2022, 11:23:59 AM »
BP - absolutely agree.

Even if the RFU had a change of heart and allowed it, there is no future for any other professional rugby clubs in London. There just isn't the following to make it viable. Even London Irish who combined three clubs and then decided to become the plastic Paddies to appeal to the Irish fan base struggle to attract fans.

Wasps have, sort of, settled in the south midlands area, but still have a loyal fan base from when they were based in the London/High Wycombe area. Therefore it would make sense to TRY  to locate somewhere where both sets of fans could get to watch, but also in the general area which the RFU would approve of.

As a Championship team they will never attract the sort of player we had prior to admin, unless we get someone like Trailfinders Mike Gooley on board. However we might attract players who have been left adrift by the 2 collapses.
There is no doubtthat, unless we can get a sugar daddy, we will not be in the position of ownong our own ground. We will need to have the use of an existing groun`d or find some sort of joint venture whereby we can add, say, stands to an existing area. A bit like Bath do at the Rec.

What we also have to remember is that, wherever we do play in the immediate future, we are there for a minimum of three years, unless something happens to stop it

Was just about to post this when someone who knows more about the area phoned and said "are you sure it's Solihull Moor -what about  the old Bees stadium in Sharmans Cross Roadl is currently unused, or even their current Portway stadium off J1 M42"

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2022, 11:35:56 AM »
Sharmans Cross Road pitches now belong to a developer who is trying to get planning permission for houses, which is why it is derelict for now.

The Portway site is just a field with clubhouse, not suitable for use in the Championship. That is the problem with pretty much any rugby club ground in the Midlands; no stands, car parking or hospitality facilities. Time and money are against us.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »
London is a no no, the fans are not there. They never were many rugby fans, and that was when London had a higher percentage of people who were likely to have had rugby at school.
I am happy that we are starting as we are. I would like us to move a bit further south to maybe equidistant to AP and the CBS, maximising support, in the longer term.  However, if we ever have any desire to go back to prem status, I think that needs to happen in a 3/4 year window max. It won't happen after 10 years. I think we won't survive long term as a championship outfit, to be honest, but it is worth a crack.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »
Just to put it out there. This news re Solihull is still unratified as far as I know?

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2022, 01:40:38 PM »
The Portway site is just a field with clubhouse, not suitable for use in the Championship.

Really? What about Caldy? Or Ampthill? Great clubs with fantastic fans - proper rugby.

Baldpaul is spot on. I think we need to manage our expectations a bit more and have a great deal more humility. And I for one would rather not antagonise other Championship Clubs' supporters before we even get there.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2022, 02:17:57 PM »
The Portway site is just a field with clubhouse, not suitable for use in the Championship.

Really? What about Caldy? Or Ampthill? Great clubs with fantastic fans - proper rugby.

Baldpaul is spot on. I think we need to manage our expectations a bit more and have a great deal more humility. And I for one would rather not antagonise other Championship Clubs' supporters before we even get there.

Absolutely
Just being competitive in the championship would be impressive

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2022, 08:59:06 PM »

Absolutely
Just being competitive in the championship would be impressive
Indeed. I‘ll be happy with anything higher than mid table mediocrity in year 1 and don’t expect serious promotion hopes until at least year 3.

I am of course making a huge assumption that the PRL isn’t idiotic enough to ring-fence themselves with no relegation after they get down to 10 clubs.

Sussex Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2022, 07:51:13 AM »
Depressing to read the interview with our new CEO that he sees this new potential club as a "hard reset" to the Midlands. They just don't learn ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64050985

Only hope was a long term vision to get back towards the M25 in my view, contrary to many of you.

We needed a break from the disasterous geography og the last 7 years, and also the management. Holland sat on the useless Wasps board and has motives for staying near his training investment

We dont have this needed clean break

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2022, 09:05:20 AM »
Depressing to read the interview with our new CEO that he sees this new potential club as a "hard reset" to the Midlands. They just don't learn ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64050985

Only hope was a long term vision to get back towards the M25 in my view, contrary to many of you.

We needed a break from the disasterous geography og the last 7 years, and also the management. Holland sat on the useless Wasps board and has motives for staying near his training investment

We dont have this needed clean break

There are a number reasons he HAD to say this.

1. In the short term, the RFU insist on it. The full approval has not yet been issued, so he must be on script.
2. If you tell potential fans for next year that you are not staying, they won't come. In essence, if you don't invest in their area, they won't invest in you.
3. Many/most potential recruits/signings (staff/coaches/players), if told you will be off some (long) distance away at some non-specified future date, won't sign with you, especially as the pay will be lower, so they will want to keep travel costs down. They won't have expensive Mercedes/BMWs on lease paid for by the club, and they are unlikely to get paid much in travel expenses.
4. An initial one year deal with the potential ground was mentioned. My guess is we will need to rent a ground for at least 3-4 years. Whoever you deal with won't want to do a deal if they know you will be off as soon as you can.

And then, having laid down those roots, moving even when you planned to, is very hard. As Wasps found out when they left AP, and ...

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »
A book called Soccernomics is worth a read. While the focus is football, many of the points it makes can be applied to other sports. One of the more interesting points it identifies is the turnover of 'loyal fans' - measured by season ticket holders. It finds that, over a 7 year period, there is almost complete churn in the names of the season ticket holders and that very few are lifers. If the same is true in rugby, then a move back inside the M25 risks losing the current fan base and then having to build up a new set of fans.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2022, 05:28:52 PM »
Has this been posted elsewher? Apologies if it has, but there are some big companies mentioned.

The new “plc-style” board comprises Scott; Dame Inga Beale, former chief executive of Lloyd’s of London; Simon Morris, chief creative officer worldwide at Amazon; Chris Braithwaite, former head of Apple’s global real-estate division, plus a financial director.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2022, 05:56:38 PM »
Hope they live up to their histories.