Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Tom Willis - England Call up?  (Read 1697 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Tom Willis - England Call up?
« on: January 09, 2023, 09:28:34 PM »
Tom Willis in line for surprise call-up to England's Six Nations squad
Exclusive: The former Wasps player is under consideration for selection, as Steve Borthwick names his first Six Nations squad on January 16

By
Gavin Mairs,
 CHIEF RUGBY UNION CORRESPONDENT
9 January 2023 • 8:39pm
Tom Willis of Bordeaux- Begles looks on during the Heineken Cup match between Gloucester Rugby and Bordeaux-Begles at Kingsholm Stadium - Tom Willis in line for England call-up ahead of Six Nations
Tom Willis, who was made redundant when Wasps went into administration in October, could be in line for a surprise call-up to Steve Borthwick’s first England squad for the Six Nations Championship, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

It is understood that Borthwick, who is due to finalise his squad next Monday, has contacted Willis’ new club Bordeaux-Begles to inform them that the 23-year-old No 8 is under consideration for selection.

Regulation nine, the law that governs the release of players for international duty, requires that governing bodies must sign a form for all players playing overseas in order to secure that release for potential call-ups, and sources have indicated that Bordeaux-Begles expect him to be selected.

The back row is one area of the England squad where competition is strong but that fact that Borthwick has moved to clarify his availability suggests the uncapped Willis, the brother of former Wasps flanker Jack, is firmly in his thoughts ahead of the World Cup in France in September.

An England call would represent a remarkable redemption story for Willis, who was one of 167 players and staff made redundant after Wasps fell into administration on October 17.

Willis was able to secure a short-term deal at Bordeaux-Begles in November but although the Top 14 club are understood to be keen to retain his services next season, they are resigned to losing him to Saracens next season following the uncertainty caused by the sacking of their head coach Christophe Urios in November.

Willis spoke only last month about his ambition of playing for England together with his brother.

Jack Willis of Wasps holding baby Enzo with partner Megan, brother Tom Jack Willis Instagram - Tom Willis in line for surprise England call-up ahead of Six Nations
Tom Willis (right) alongside his brother Jack (left) CREDIT: Jack Willis /Instagram
Jack Willis, 26, who won the last of his six caps off the bench in England’s 25-25 draw against New Zealand last November, also found employment in France after Wasps’ collapse by signing for Toulouse.

Meanwhile it is understood that Borthwick, who is finalising his squad selection this week, has asked the Premiership clubs for some extra flexibility over the release of players for England’s elite player squad.

Borthwick is only allowed to make five changes to the 45-man squad under the regulations in the professional game agreement between the Rugby Football Union and the Premiership.

The former Leicester director of rugby however is understandably keen to be able to make as many changes as possible and given the circumstances of his appointment midway through the season following the sacking of Eddie Jones, there is hope in the England camp that a compromise can be reached that would allow greater flexibility.

It is understood that Borthwick has explored whether it is possible to change players if they are at the same club – which would ensure that the funding to the club remains the same – but would allow the England head coach to make more than the permitted five changes.

Dan Cole, the 35 year-old Leicester prop capped 95 times for England, is on course to be one of the changes, along with Saracens flanker Ben Earl and Dan Kelly, the 21 year-old inside centre and club team-mate of Cole.

Borthwick will name a 35-man squad for the Six Nations on Monday.

Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Willis - England Call up?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 09:33:18 PM »
Looks promising. Fingers crossed for Tom.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:57:18 PM »
Please, Lord, not Saracens.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 10:46:57 PM »
Yeah, not Sarries please. I won't wish any Wasps players luck joining them.
Once a cheat, always a cheat.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 10:59:27 AM »
However it's good to see Sarries must be well under the salary cap again.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »
However it's good to see Sarries must be well under the salary cap again.

What no sarcasm indication!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 11:50:15 AM »
Now what would make you think I would be sarcastic about Sarries and Salary Cap?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 11:53:16 AM »
Now what would make you think I would be sarcastic about Sarries and Salary Cap?

Ha 😀😀

MartinB - Radnage Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 12:51:48 PM »
Absolutely delighted for Tom. We could all see what a good player he is but under Jones he would never have got a look in. Borthwick is doing and saying all the right things so far as far as I am concerned.
Fingers crossed for Tom and I will be cheering him on whatever club he is playing for (OK maybe with the exception of The Cheats)

Martin

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 03:38:54 PM »
Just posted this on the ex-Wasps other clubs thread, but:

https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/status/1612804517061328897

Looks like he's off to bl**dy Sarries.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 04:24:13 PM »
FFS anyone but the F***king Cheats.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »

It's Schrodinger's cap, whether a club is over or under depends on where youv view it from.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 09:47:34 PM »
The only surprise about this is that the press think it’s a surprise. For me he’s been consistently in the top two English 8’s for a couple of years with Dombrandt.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 10:30:58 AM »
I would be very surprised if he actually plays any games for England in the 6 nations.
I can't see Borthwick selecting anyone at 8 other than Billy or Dombrandt. There are other areas that need more urgent work than England's back row IMO.

Longer term, yes, I can see it but given the short time to the RWC, don't see huge changes there myself (although saying that with Curry seemingly out, maybe a utility back row like Tom, could be a wise selection?)