Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Champions Cup for Revamp  (Read 1285 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Champions Cup for Revamp
« on: January 27, 2023, 06:53:26 AM »

Champions Cup set for radical overhaul

Key stakeholders cite an overcomplicated format and loss of revenues as the key issues with tournament's current setup
By Gavin Mairs, Chief Rugby Union Correspondent 26 January 2023 ? 8:06pm

The format of the Heineken Champions Cup is facing a radical overhaul after mounting pressure from key stakeholders.

It is understood that the issue came under discussion at a European Professional Club Rugby board meeting in Lausanne on Thursday, with calls for changes to be implemented as soon as next season.

The move comes following widespread criticism from players, coaches and supporters that the current format, involving two 12-team conferences and just four pool-stage games, is too complicated and has risked undermining the status of the competition.

Some stakeholders are also concerned that the move away from the previous qualifying format of five pools of four clubs, with six games played on a home and away basis, two seasons ago has had a detrimental impact on financial revenues

The format was first changed in the 2020/21 as a response to the impact of the Covid pandemic but retained for this year.

Critics have highlighted the lack of clarity and jeopardy in the qualifying process. Currently all clubs play four pool-stage games against two of the other sides in their pool, with eight qualifying from each pool for a round of 16 ahead of the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final.

It is understood that among the options being considered is a return to format that featured in the competition up until 2014 ? when EPCR took charge from the now-defunct European Rugby Cup ? which would see a return to a qualifying stage of six pools of four clubs, which would add an extra weekend to the competition.

There are also calls for a return to the original schedule in the season, when the pool stages were held in two weekends in October, December and January. This season the pool matches started in December.

?Our view is to get back to a pool format ? the old way of doing things,? Kevin Potts, the Irish Rugby Football Union chief executive told Telegraph Sport. ?It worked really well and it gave the fans absolute certainty as to what they were actually following.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Champions Cup for Revamp
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 08:17:00 AM »
Much prefer the group set up. The conference system dilutes it for me and to be honest I think the inclusion of SA teams stripped away a bit of identity too.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 08:46:23 AM »
Much prefer the group set up. The conference system dilutes it for me and to be honest I think the inclusion of SA teams stripped away a bit of identity too.

A very big +1 from me.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 09:02:16 AM »
SA teams are the big turn off, the identity of the competition has been lost, felt the same about the Pro-12 when they were added. feels like a backdoor attempt to get SA into the 6nations.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 09:17:59 AM »
The old format worked.
SA teams really ruin it for me too.

That said, I find myself uncaring at the moment.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »
Professional rugby is really doing its best to turn me off the sport completely.

I've never been a supporter of the SA clubs joining NH competitions - especially the rumors of SA joining the 6N in time (once their commitments to the Rugby Championship are complete). I feel like it's more of a money grab than anything - especially when little positive is said about NH rugby in the SH.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »

That said, I find myself uncaring at the moment.

You and me both, it's hard to form a interest in something that's not going to affect our club for the foreseeable future.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 02:36:14 PM »
SA is not Europe FFS.

Back to basics - it worked well for 20+ years.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:16:46 PM by Heathen »

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 05:31:16 PM »
In my opinion, the inclusion of SA clubs in the Champions Cup has devalued the tournament. Part of the joy of our European tournaments is that rivalries have been developed since the Champions Cup was created in 1995, which I'm sure both fans and players/coaches revel in alike - for me, particularly when English and French clubs clash. Games without some underlying history or rivalry are soulless, which is what I think any European game against an SA club is.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 05:42:31 PM »
I agree about the rivalries and I don?t think they?ll ever be built with SA teams because of the cost for fans to travel and from my experience of spending 6 months  in SA, albeit a long time ago, SA rugby fans are arrogant and sore losers.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »
Plus 1 for each of the postings above.