Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps plan new ?Wasps Nest Stadium? and return to Premiership by 2025-26  (Read 5915 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well that is great news if it is true. And the lack of an immediate denial suggests it might be.

I'm a little worried about the idea of a stadium with hotel, and conference facilities being the main income generator, as we have seen only too well how fragile that can be.

Matches in Henley for the time being isn't a bad idea if they can sort the parking issues. They'll have to do a little work to add more loos and a proper bar, but that's definitely possible.

Also need a second changing room. There is one big one only.

For some reason I thought there was an academy changing room, but I can't actually picture it so I suspect you're right. Plenty of unused offices now I'd guess.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Well that is great news if it is true. And the lack of an immediate denial suggests it might be.

I'm a little worried about the idea of a stadium with hotel, and conference facilities being the main income generator, as we have seen only too well how fragile that can be.

Matches in Henley for the time being isn't a bad idea if they can sort the parking issues. They'll have to do a little work to add more loos and a proper bar, but that's definitely possible.

Also need a second changing room. There is one big one only.

For some reason I thought there was an academy changing room, but I can't actually picture it so I suspect you're right. Plenty of unused offices now I'd guess.

Yes just edited my post. There is an academy one but I never went into that one for some reason and my memory blanked it - but not my other half.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
again, this is all very nice but announcing what we plan to do in the future without funding & planning is just a business plan to convince the RFU that the Legends are serious.

None of that is going to get a team out on a pitch in September, its details about that which I want to see.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
again, this is all very nice but announcing what we plan to do in the future without funding & planning is just a business plan to convince the RFU that the Legends are serious.

None of that is going to get a team out on a pitch in September, its details about that which I want to see.

That was my first thought too. It looks a lot like an "outline" business plan with "outline" doing a lot of hard yards. I really would like to see some info on a team playing this autumn, how and where.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rather concerned by the hotel and conference facilities. Slight touch of the 'been  there/done that' and the 'deja vu's'.  Still, I'm sure they know what they're doing. i hope. But at least it's progress, and positive.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Using Henley as the interim playing location would require planning approval, which, AFAIK hasn't been submitted yet, and it is unlikely to be passed in time for September. Also, based on the objectors to the change of use when Wasps first purchased it, I should imagine all the locals will object to it being used for real matches (even though "real, albeit low level, matchs of various sports were previously held there.

As previously stated car parking would be a major problem.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rather concerned by the hotel and conference facilities

Any business plan submitted would have to be strong on sustainability & multiple income streams. Irrespective of how realistic that may be in the real world.
My guess is that this is the legends business plan which they have submitted to the RFU, which is probably where someone from the Guardian got a glimpse of it!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
As this is not official this report is weak on detail and lots of questions need to be answered.

Nonetheless it's not only news but good news. Hopefully lots more to come.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Nice to have something to talk about, rather than bemoaning "no news" as we were!

This isn't an official press release, just something "seen by The Guardian". One would hope that the full plan has costings, details and so on. IIRC the new Board was listed in an article (which I will go and try to find, unless anyone can pull it out of a hat pasted below) and was the sort of "solid" people you'd hope would make up the top team in a FTSE company. So I expect everything - when formally released - will have the i's dotted and the t's crossed.

The new PLC-style board comprises (Andy) Scott; Dame Inga Beale, former chief executive of Lloyd's of London; Simon Morris, chief creative officer worldwide at Amazon; Chris Braithwaite, former head of Apple's global real-estate division, plus a financial director.

The lack of a denial, and the statement that "the article seeks to meet the objectives of future sustainable ownership" suggests that it's based on fact though.

At least we have something to talk about! Which is nice.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:44:02 PM by BlackAndGoldSunglasses »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Sounds like that analysis I did a while back, where I concluded it would be M40 corridor.

Overlay the M40 junctions with rail stations that have decent access and direct services to London, Coventry and the West Midlands.

Then proximity to Henley in Arden.

If they are planning hotels and conference facilities, an International airport needs to be near(ish).

Take all of that, and J13-J15 M40 would be the approximate area. Leamington gives you the rail links. Leamington also gives you the M40/M42, but also great links up to Leicester (M69), North West up the M6 and North East up the M42/M1. It also has the housing/schools where players would like to live. Birmingham and Coventry airports are nearby (as is Wellesbourne if you are a private plane or helicopter flyer).

JLR have a massive site down the road at Gaydon (but the Gaydon junction on the M40 is pretty useless for any other access except JLR).

Then there is the problem of finding a site. Given the timescale they mention, it has to be a site that already has some form of approval for a stadium, and the only place on that M40 corridor from Oxford to Henley is in Leamington.

To which a number of trolls on social media have told me I am off my #### thinking that site could be used.

I think it was your previous analysis I was referring to above when I talked about Banbury etc. Did try and find it on the old "search" thingy, but to no avail.

Where's the site in Leam with approval?

From the Warwick District Council Local Plan (page 27) - adopted September 2017 for the period 2011 - 2029:

DS14 Allocation of Land for a Community Stadium and associated uses

Land at Myton, adjoining Warwick Technology Park (as shown on the Policies Map) is allocated as a
Community Stadium to provide a community sports complex and complementary uses.

Explanatory Text

2.59 The allocation of this land for a community stadium and associated uses will provide an opportunity to
establish a sustainable location for a new stadium and sports facility for the area. A range of
appropriate complementary uses could also be considered. Across the wider site to the west of
Europa Way (H01), other services and facilities will also be required and could be provided within the
area allocated for the Community Stadium.

The plan envisaged it for use by Leamington FC, but it isn't happening. This is a link to the plans:

https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/5228/community_stadium_project_site_master_plan.pdf

Lots of local grumbling and mumbling that, other than a few houses (Item #6 = profitable) and the new car showroom (Item #1 - Rybrook BMW), the rest is not progressing. The hotel, doctor's surgery and community centre, nor the SEN school, nor the primary school, nor the athletics track, nor the care home.

WDC had hoped to sell their existing SEN school in Warwick (a few yards from where I used to live decades ago), the existing athletics track in Leamington to part fund it, along with funds from building houses on the existing football pitch. But, it still needed a lot of extra funding. The NHS was unwilling to fund the medical facilities, no private care company wanted to fund the care home, no hotel group wanted the hotel site. Well, you get the picture. I can drive down Fusiliers Way, but the road has not been adopted by the council and is not on Google Streetview (the latest Streetview images taken on Gallows Hill are from early 2022 and show mud and weeds. The latest satellite images are over a year old (summer of 2021). The existing football ground cannot have houses until the junction of that road (Harbury Lane) and the Fosse Way (a notorious local accident black spot) has been fixed, and they are doing those works right now. A whole new village is being built (2000 houses, GP surgery, primary school). Curiously, this is in Stratford upon Avon District, not Warwick.

Some of those amenities might happen, many will not (no funding streams). If any of you have been down to Warwick School to watch some of the U18 matches, this site backs on to their playing fields.

That was my guess back then, and still is. Leamington FC were only ever hoping to be tenants at the stadium, and wanted WDC to pick up the cost of the build and running costs. As we know, that is not financially going to happen. The council needs someone with money to come in and take the project on, and for them to own and run the site, and for them to rent to Leamington FC. Who play in Black and Gold. The timeline for Leamington FC is urgent, as they will soon lose their ground. I think next few seasons could be their last at the current ground, but by 24/25, or 25/26, they need a new ground.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Spot on - thanks for all that info.

Heathen

• View Profile
Championship matches at Henley - first thought not enough car parking

When I first saw this when flicking down the posts, I was thinking Henley (on Thames) Dork!!!

Heathen

• View Profile
Would not surprise me if the Oxford Parkway area was being considered.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Same here, Heathen!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Championship matches at Henley - first thought not enough car parking

When I first saw this when flicking down the posts, I was thinking Henley (on Thames) Dork!!!
Me too. It wasn?t until the discussions about car parks and changing rooms that the penny dropped.