Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pat Lam's Views on Salary Cap  (Read 1332 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pat Lam's Views on Salary Cap
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 08:20:45 PM »
Has the state of club finances passed him by? Never been a fan of his and he?s not a particularly good DOR either.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »
Clearly anyone with anything bigger than a pea for a brain can tell the Salary Cap must not go up in this present climate.

He may have a point about the Schools Boundaries and the Draft system though.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »
Just watched Lam on BT stating that he believes the cap is stopping ?top teams? from reaching their potential with everyone being dragged down to a lower denominator which are the poorer funded teams. What an a**e.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 07:26:11 PM »
I'm almost at the point where I'd say to get rid of the salary cap and once the "poorer" clubs can't participate in the league, these so called top clubs will have no league

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 09:58:23 PM »
Top teams, or wealthiest owner teams.

My care levels are very low, agree with the sentiment James Taylor. Would like to see the wealthy few rot in their own mess.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 09:31:13 AM »
I didn?t realise the salary cap was an issue for Bristol.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 11:19:37 AM »
It is if they feel it is too low.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 11:57:03 AM »
I'm almost at the point where I'd say to get rid of the salary cap and once the "poorer" clubs can't participate in the league, these so called top clubs will have no league
I proposed a while ago that the Premier League should have the cap and all other restrictions removed and becoming a free market. The Championship would then become the RFU's main league with agreed salary caps, restrictions on foreign players and other suitability caps.

Developing it further, Premier League layers would be eligible for selection for England but the RFU would not compensate the clubs other than providing injury insurance and paying a match fee to the players. If the Prem clubs don't want to release players that's fine.

Championship clubs would be compensated for releasing players as many times as needed and the RFU should provide funding for Academies and the like. Perhaps central contracts for England players who are Championship based could work in these circumstances or perhaps just co payments.

I envisage about 12 to 14 Championship clubs with full promotion and relegation. Any Prem club that goes bust would have to start at the bottom if they want to join the RFU structure.

This would have a detrimental affect on England for a while but no more than players going abroad.

Lots of problems to iron out but we need to cut off the daddies from having a disproportionate affect on how the game is structured and managed in this country.

Also, by necessity the RFU needs reforming which means nothing will change.

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 12:10:06 PM »
''Lots of problems to iron out ''

With the main one being the fact the RFU hates the championship, has no time for it and would likely rather it just went away