Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up  (Read 4485 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »
15 Willie Le Roux
14 Ross Neal
13 Elliot Daly
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
11 Josh Bassett
10 Billy Searle
9 Craig Hampson
1 Ben Harris
2 Ashley Johnson (c)
3 Jake Cooper-Woolley
4 Will Rowlands
5 Kearnan Myall
6 Brad Shields
7 Thomas Young
8 Nizaam Carr
Replacements
16 Tom Cruse
17 Zurabi Zhvania
18 Kieran Brookes
19 Charlie Matthews
20 Nathan Hughes
21 Dan Robson
22 Lima Sopoaga
23 Michele Campagnaro

Brad Shields and Jake Cooper-Woolley are restored to the Wasps starting line-up for Sunday’s Round 10 Gallagher Premiership clash with Bath Rugby at Ricoh Arena (kick-off 3pm).

England international Shields recovers from an ankle knock while Cooper-Woolley overcomes a rib problem to feature in front of what’s set to be a packed Ricoh Arena with over 30,000 tickets sold.

Meanwhile, Dan Robson is back in the squad among the replacements for the first time since picking up an ankle injury against Gloucester Rugby at the start of October.

Shields is part of a back row with Springbok Nizaam Carr and Thomas Young while Cooper-Woolley joins Ashley Johnson and Ben Harris in the front row. Will Rowlands is restored to the starting line-up in the second row alongside Kearnan Myall.

An unchanged backline sees Willie Le Roux, Ross Neal and Josh Bassett form the back three with Elliot Daly and Michael Le Bourgeois in the centres, while Billy Searle keeps his place in the half-back combination alongside Craig Hampson.

In the replacements, Tom Cruse returns from a knee injury, Kieran Brookes overcomes a bout of illness and Nathan Hughes is passed fit after a hip knock.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “From third down to 12th, there is nothing really in it between the teams in the Premiership. There are no easy games. This upcoming block of three games will almost define our season.

“Our recent performances have been heading in the right direction but we have to turn them into results now. This Sunday will be a good test of that. We just need that extra five or ten per cent to turn performances into wins.

“It will be a fantastic occasion with over 30,000 expected at the Ricoh so we want to go out there and put in a performance to get the result for our fans.”
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:04:09 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:08:34 PM »
Billy Searle starts. Well done for retaining the jersey. Brad back starting. Quite a bench - Tom, Dan, Nathan and Kieran, all back.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 12:11:24 PM »
And the enemy:

15. James Wilson

14. Semesa Rokoduguni

13. Max Wright

12. Jamie Roberts

11. Ruaridh McConnochie

10. Freddie Burns

9. Will Chudley (c)

1. Nathan Catt

2. Tom Dunn

3. Henry Thomas

4. Dave Attwood

5. Elliott Stooke

6. Tom Ellis

7. Sam Underhill

8. Francois Louw

Replacements

16. Ross Batty

17. Jacques van Rooyen

18. Max Lahiff

19. Matt Garvey

20. Zach Mercer

21. Max Green

22. Max Clark

23. Cooper Vuna
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Lots of names missing from Bath, think we might take this one...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »
Joe C missing is a huge boost for us, we couldn’t cope with him in the last him fixture, I was sat behind the bench and he was scarily good close up. The selection is strong with a quality bench. It feels like a win is coming, especially with a packed house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was fine when I left it.....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
Lots of power in their pack though. Scrum is going to be in for a long day, Attwood and Stooke are both hugely powerful there. With Underhill and Louw in the backrow we'll need to be on top of the breakdown too.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »
I'm not too worried about the scrum, we've definitely improves of late, and JCW is more than a match for most.  Especially with Brookes waiting on the bench so he doesn't have to pace himself.  We don't have to dominate (though it would be nice if we did) we just have to be able to get the ball out quickly enough that we don't lose against the head.  That and not knock on of course...

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Looks good, I am really starting to worry about Simon.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »
Lots of names missing from Bath, think we might take this one...

I hope so. Surprised Cooper not starting, but if they get ball, Burns, Roberts and Roko are nobody's mugs and their pack looks solid. I think we have a better bench, for once! I think we'll win, but it will require the shoots of coordination and combinations to keep growing.

I really like Daly and Le B, Bassett is looking like a senior player this season and the more Le Roux and Neal get on the pitch together the better. Expect WLR to be second first receiver, even more, this week and make more space. Will need to move Bath around, Decent backrow need challenging.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
Taulupe Faletau, Jonathan Joseph, Rhys Priestland, Anthony Watson, Joe C, and Beno Obano to name but a few.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
Probably shows their squad is pretty good. In reality, missing Watson and JJ more than most, I think Joe is a likely first name on the England team sheet in 2023 RWC but is still learning the ropes rather. Cooper Vuna looked a handful when coming on - so was surprised he wasn't starting.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
We are odds on with all of the bookies, according to Oddschecker , the Bath win price is odds against but quite short....

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/england/gallagher-premiership/wasps-v-bath/winner
It was fine when I left it.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
I think it says something very positive about Harris that the only glaring omission from this line up is Joe Launchbury. I think Muillan and Chesty are both gonna have to work hard to reclaim a starting berth when they are fit.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »
Whatever we say about this year, we have at least discovered some good players. Harris and Neal especially impressive, MLB promising too.

This team does not look too bad at all, to have Brookes/JCW shows we are in a good place in terms of the front row. Agreeing with the above, Mullan I feel may actually go if all end up fit.
I would like to see it with Robson starting and Launch, of course.
I would like the ten slot first choice settled.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:11:38 PM by westwaleswasp »