Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase  (Read 22416 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2023, 11:44:40 AM »
Update from Chris Foy: Latest on London Irish. Players called to a meeting at 8.30 this morning where they were told by club CEO + Howard Thomas of Redstrike Group (prospective buyers) that money had been transferred for wages, which would be paid later today.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2023, 12:31:08 PM »
So it sounds like the potential new owners have paid 2 months wages before they actually own the club.
Wonder what would happen if they are not judged proper owners by the RFU....?

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2023, 12:33:46 PM »
Please  -  let this be a mistake.  At this rate there could be a Premiership 'B' Group forming,  and the RFU can then achieve it's (presumably) hoped-for  Premiership 'A' Group of  4 permanent nailed-on teams.  I hope the RFU are happy 'cos I'm definitely not.

I don't understand how the RFU can be blamed for this. If LI have gone bust it's because their expenses are greater than their income, their greatest expense being the salary cap which has been set exclusively by PRL.

Also I have heard various premiership voices call for a reduced league but not the RFU. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2023, 01:34:01 PM »
Egret - I  wasn't referring to the financial problems of  LI.  If the players have been paid then that's very good news.   What does worry me is the decreasing number of Clubs in the Premiership.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2023, 01:39:18 PM »
Please  -  let this be a mistake.  At this rate there could be a Premiership 'B' Group forming,  and the RFU can then achieve it's (presumably) hoped-for  Premiership 'A' Group of  4 permanent nailed-on teams.  I hope the RFU are happy 'cos I'm definitely not.

I don't understand how the RFU can be blamed for this. If LI have gone bust it's because their expenses are greater than their income, their greatest expense being the salary cap which has been set exclusively by PRL.

Also I have heard various premiership voices call for a reduced league but not the RFU. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.
It was a while ago:
Sweeney favours proposals to introduce a 10-team Premiership for the 2024-25 season, when the next Professional Game Agreement comes into force, to ensure fewer Premiership matches clash with the international windows while central contracts would alleviate club costs and give the RFU far better access and control over its players ? something Eddie Jones has consistently wanted more of throughout his tenure.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/16/bill-sweeney-10-team-premiership-rugby-union-central-contracts

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2023, 02:08:26 PM »
10 team league ? playing the same boring teams, with the same boring rugby, with the same boring results.

More likely than not, the law of unintended consequences will result in more traditional fans being lost to the game than new fans are attracted.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2023, 02:17:48 PM »
Plus 1, big time.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2023, 02:38:09 PM »
The WW silence continues.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2023, 02:42:35 PM »
Quote from: Bloke in North Dorset link=topic=5994.msg104567#msg104567 date=1683031158

[url
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/16/bill-sweeney-10-team-premiership-rugby-union-central-contracts[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks BiND, although to be fair to Sweeney, he was hardly leading the charge for a 10 team league, that was introduced by Baxter and supported by other Premier voices.

My reading is that as part of the PGA negotiation he/the RFU was prepared to agree to 4adical reform of the Premier League and if PRL wanted a 10 team league, he wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2023, 06:13:50 PM »
It?s all fairly sad. Whether wages have now been paid or not the red flags have been raised. LI operate a ground share which should be fairly sustainable but there?s just not enough money in the game. The equation at the moment is stark : No benefactor = no way to survive.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »
From Chris Foy - Latest on Worcester: Unconfirmed at this stage but hearing that Atlas are likely to complete their take-over today. Administrator must believe in them but RFU unconvinced. If it does happen, where that leaves Warriors (and Wasps and Stourbridge too) is anyone?s guess.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »
Warriors message board saying Atlas sale has completed.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2023, 12:37:07 PM »
Bbc -
Worcester Warriors: Atlas Group complete takeover of former Premiership club - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65471172

Last para mentions Wasps
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2023, 12:52:03 PM »
I can't imagine there are a huge number of Americans looking to invest in Premiership Rugby clubs.

Atlas have a bid accepted then it goes quiet with the money, from America, held up around the same time American money starts paying the wage bill at London Irish, then the money dries up just as Atlas find the cash to complete the deal.

Can't help but wonder if the source is the same.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2023, 01:59:13 PM »
Whether Warriors fans like it or not, it would seem the Atlas sale has gone through.
This means that Warriors will not be in the Champ next season.
I can't see either Stourbridge or the RFU agreeing to that proposed takeover/merger.
So Sixways would be available for other uses....

Lets see if this being resolved kick starts some Wasps news over the next week....