Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase  (Read 22570 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester - Atlas have until 2nd May to complete purchase
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2023, 09:58:16 PM »
I?m with you COYW15. I take your points NWW but if it?s Wasps or no Wasps I?ll take Wasps.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2023, 10:07:08 PM »
Totally agree Shugs.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2023, 05:56:05 AM »
It?s hard to imagine being in someone?s shoes and I haven?t talked to my mate yet, but I?d like to think that if the roles were reversed I?d be wishing Worcester well. It isn?t our fault Worcester are in the predicament they are in and at least if we do play they for a while it means they?ll still have a stadium if and when they get back to top flight rugby.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2023, 07:09:11 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: RFU confirm Wasps have applied to play at Sixways https://mol.im/a/12045215 via https://dailym.ai/android
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2023, 09:14:00 AM »
I cant see the issue.  Wasps aren't trying to buy sixways they would be a tenant.  There is a facility with a new owner who wants some income and Wasps are a team who potentially need somewhere to play.  I believe from the report there will be at least two other 'clubs' playing there as well and presumably Worcester will play there in some form or other.  Looks like sound business for the new owners of sixways. 

Is it the right facility for new Wasps, well is it for us to say.  Leasing somewhere is temporary so provided the funds are there why not. Is it a precursor to a Worcester Wasps club then I hope not.  The two clubs had different philosophies and backgrounds and would not make a good fit in my view.  There is no suggestion this is the long term plan.

Sixways is a premiership standard ground.  This would appeal to sponsors and corporate hospitality income streams far better than a non league footie ground.  Crowds will be different to CBSA, likely fewer families and an attendance for most games of what, maybe 1500/2000.  Wasps have to start somewhere if there is to be a club at all.  The concept of being back in the Premiership in two years is just nonsense.  The new club have to build again from the ground up and it will be ten years maybe more in my view, without a sugar daddy, to even be close to moving up.

Sixways with just the main stand in use seems as good as any place to start.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2023, 10:10:29 AM »
Not ideal (I would much prefer wasps were playing somewhere along the M40 corridor) but I can see that Sixways is probably the cheapest option.

Atlas will be desperate to get paying tenants, for income and to try to live up to their promises.

For Wasps it is a premiership quality stadium with all the facilities where all you need to do is turn up with kit, whereas a groundshare with a football team like Solihull would require investment in the pitch and facilities.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2023, 10:17:33 AM »
Does anyone know who "Local Stakeholders" would be?

Is that local clubs, Worcester RFC for example?
Other sports? Councils?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2023, 10:39:23 AM »
Laterontoday, you spoke a book.  I too had been  thinking that Wasps is not trying to buy 6ways but simply to rent it for a couple of years.  We wouldn't be trying to take it over completely, for ever, for heaven's sake.  6ways would not belong to Wasps, despite comments involving cuckoos by certain non-Wasp posters. And there could always be someone much worse than us considering renting 6waya, or indeed even worse ..........  no one at all. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2023, 11:29:46 AM »
Warriors supporters are going into meltdown on their board.
Wasps getting blamed for engaging with Atlas & "facilitating" Warriors demise.

Some very angry people looking for someone to blame.
Can't see many Warriors fans turning up to support Wasps if they play there, but then if the boot was on the other foot, I wouldn't either.

Thinking more about the "Local Stakeholders", you would expect the RFU to ask Worcester RFC (who are right next door) what they think about another "pro" club turning up on their door step. Would they be happy? No idea what the relationship was like with Warriors, anyone have any info?

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2023, 12:48:57 PM »
Things looking a bit murky at WW. Im picked up the detail below from the WW forum.

What's Christopher Hollands property company doing taking out a debenture against Worcester Atlas earlier this week.  Is he the funding that allowed Atlas to secure their deal?  If so this is starting to smell as a stitch up of a merger of the two names sometime in the future.

I can deal with Wasps leasing the pitch at Sixways for a short period along with the WW Ladies team but this as a step to merging the club names, no thanks.

Of course it could all be an innocent way of leasing a pitch without the new club actually paying anything for it and thus reducing running costs and the lessening the need for funding.  Genius or a bit murky no sure.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 12:54:22 PM by Laterontoday »

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2023, 12:55:10 PM »
So it seems as though Chris Holland, via his company Loxwood Holdings Limited, has secured a loan to Atlas - is this correct? I'm out of my depth here!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »
Thinking more about the "Local Stakeholders", you would expect the RFU to ask Worcester RFC (who are right next door) what they think about another "pro" club turning up on their door step. Would they be happy? No idea what the relationship was like with Warriors, anyone have any info?

Last summer, before the season started, we were talking to a couple of Worcester RFC supporters and they were extremely anti-Worriors, in the same way that some Coventry RFC supporters were/are extremely anti-Wasps. I can imagine how apoplectic they will be if Wasps do turn-up in Worcester, even if it is only for a couple of years (which I doubt)

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
How many fans would be needed for Sixways to wash its face, let alone generate positive cashflow?

Its owners might be better off mothballing the stadium than making a loss trying to operate it for matches.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2023, 01:43:35 PM »
So it seems as though Chris Holland, via his company Loxwood Holdings Limited, has secured a loan to Atlas - is this correct? I'm out of my depth here!

It appears so: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14324369/charges/LF3YBj-lS8zKxzc2A37K5nKrgec

I get it from his perspective. He's already spent a sizable amount on Wasps and faced it all going to waste if he couldn't put forward a stadium to play in to the RFU by the last week of May. Sixways was the only realistic option and for that to materialise he needed Atlas to buy it. So loan them the money and if they can't pay it back he gets a Premiership Rugby standard stadium.