Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest on Irish from Chris Foy just now  (Read 18672 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Latest on Irish from Chris Foy just now
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2023, 11:38:33 AM »

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2023, 11:50:26 AM »
RFU have rejected Crossan's offer to pay 50% according to the grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/31/london-irish-ordered-pay-wages-in-full-by-end-of-day-or-face-suspension

According to that, they laid down 2 conditions for the 7 day extension:

Full pay of all players and staff - not yet done, and not what was proposed by Crossan yesterday.
Full details of the takeover, none provided.

Everything just has that feeling of Deja Vu.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2023, 06:35:37 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2023, 06:36:43 PM »
RFU  will completely lose credibility if they let this go.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2023, 07:06:41 PM »
RFU  will completely lose credibility if they let this go.

Agreed. RFU meeting started at 7pm.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2023, 07:33:32 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2023, 07:34:34 PM »
Chickens -

London Irish granted further extension until 6 June to complete takeover - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65771765
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2023, 07:57:09 PM »
Interesting bet by Crossan. I?m not sure how much he?s in the hole for but obviously believes there?s a chance the Yanks will pay otherwise he?d have pulled the plug.

Also, an interesting piece of game theory working out what the RFU would do if he backed them in to a corner because he?d have lost that money if they pulled the plug.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2023, 08:09:38 PM »
RFU presumably very confident the deal will be done in a week or more likely very confident it won't be so giving an extra week makes no difference but looks like they are working with club.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2023, 08:24:46 PM »
Wonder if any players with offers on the table will look to move between now and 6 June

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2023, 08:48:54 PM »
Can we get an extra week to get ready for the Championship. If there?s no burning need to sort out who is playing in the Premiership next season, surely the same must be true for the Championship.

What?s the plan if another club goes to the wall? Would the RFU then look to sell a franchise to enter the Premiership to replace them?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2023, 10:03:19 PM »
RFU presumably very confident the deal will be done in a week or more likely very confident it won't be so giving an extra week makes no difference but looks like they are working with club.

Pretty sure he thinks he might be able to pull it off, and calculated that 50% would just be enough.

Pretty sure the RFU was terrified of yet more backlash if they simply pulled the plug today. They made it 7 days from yesterday's deadline, because that was what they offered in the first place.

I would bet they are now very worried if the deal is made, and then it is left to the RFU to approve the deal and new owners. My guess is that Crossan knows that the RFU would not approve, and so he and the buyers have backed the RFU in to a corner of submission. We will know that is true if said buyers go through with the deal at the last minute next week, forcing the RFU to give another extension to allow them time to check the new buyers out, all the while under pressure from everybody.

To be fair, it was their own incompetence in allowing Irish the first extension back in April. From that point on, Crossan has been gaming them, in a giant game of poker, and the RFU have played their hand very badly. Today is just another example of how poor they are at business.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2023, 07:42:04 AM »
Can we get an extra week to get ready for the Championship. If there?s no burning need to sort out who is playing in the Premiership next season, surely the same must be true for the Championship.

What?s the plan if another club goes to the wall? Would the RFU then look to sell a franchise to enter the Premiership to replace them?

This is what I find frustrating/annoying etc is the hard and fast deadlines they enforce on one thing isn't backed up on another. The deadline date is the deadline date or it isn't. How can they tell Wasps weeks ago their deadline to ensure plans for the league can be put in place but weeks late an extension can be given to a club is a higher profile league which then potentially impacts on every league below it.

I really hope Irish pull through but the RFU are really showing their incompetence on this.

Plus, I really hate the fact people think getting 50% of wages is a good thing, I'm sure for some of the higher paid players it doesn't really make much difference to their day to day life, however for a lot of non-playing staff or Academy players, they are probably in a mess with only 50% pay as it may not cover their outgoing bills leaving them nothing to pay their day to day expenses like food etc.
It's the problem with things like this for sporting teams, people see the high end side with players but don't understand the rest of the business.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2023, 08:13:11 AM »
Wonder if any players with offers on the table will look to move between now and 6 June
IANAL but I?d have though paying only 50% was breach of contract if pay is for past month.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2023, 08:46:18 AM »

This is what I find frustrating/annoying etc is the hard and fast deadlines they enforce on one thing isn't backed up on another. The deadline date is the deadline date or it isn't. How can they tell Wasps weeks ago their deadline to ensure plans for the league can be put in place but weeks late an extension can be given to a club is a higher profile league which then potentially impacts on every league below it.

I really hope Irish pull through but the RFU are really showing their incompetence on this.

Plus, I really hate the fact people think getting 50% of wages is a good thing, I'm sure for some of the higher paid players it doesn't really make much difference to their day to day life, however for a lot of non-playing staff or Academy players, they are probably in a mess with only 50% pay as it may not cover their outgoing bills leaving them nothing to pay their day to day expenses like food etc.
It's the problem with things like this for sporting teams, people see the high end side with players but don't understand the rest of the business.

Alex Lowe suggesting it was the players and staff wanting the 50% that got it through, 50% of something now better than nothing later?

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/1664012807346503684?t=YyDSC2C3qENlqhi2SS7pSQ&s=19