Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Why the Premiership is desperate for a 10-team league  (Read 4635 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Premiership is desperate for a 10-team league
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2023, 05:39:52 PM »
The RFU 'Powers that be'  seem to be labouring under the delusion that all the supporters of the  (apparently) soon to be defunct Clubs will throw away their flags and rush off  to support other Clubs.  Many  -  if not most  -  of those fans have supported just one club  for most of their lives.  They're not going to change now just to please the RFU.  Those fans will be lost foe ever.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 06:22:18 PM »
The RFU 'Powers that be'  seem to be labouring under the delusion that all the supporters of the  (apparently) soon to be defunct Clubs will throw away their flags and rush off  to support other Clubs.  Many  -  if not most  -  of those fans have supported just one club  for most of their lives.  They're not going to change now just to please the RFU.  Those fans will be lost foe ever.

Totally.

I was fortunate to have been involved with Edinburgh Rugby for over 50 years but willingly started supporting the "odd" team over 20 years ago. RFU/ PRL ain't going to get me even watching their matches when I can watch URL and Top 14 - far better leagues than the "10" .
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 07:16:54 PM »
Me too. I suspect I have watched my last prem match, back in October.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 09:10:04 PM »
Off Piste:  At least you'll get a bit of peace from me for a bit as my 'new' lap-top bought 4 months ago keeps freezing etc and is going back to Curry's tomorrow.  Daren't use  Mr W's work machine!  I'll get another (hard luck) and the local techie will sort it.  I hope nothing terrible/interesting happens tho' I think we have a spare.  Somewhere. Enjoy my silence (massed cheers!).

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2023, 10:58:22 PM »
Off Piste:  At least you'll get a bit of peace from me for a bit as my 'new' lap-top bought 4 months ago keeps freezing etc and is going back to Curry's tomorrow.  Daren't use  Mr W's work machine!  I'll get another (hard luck) and the local techie will sort it.  I hope nothing terrible/interesting happens tho' I think we have a spare.  Somewhere. Enjoy my silence (massed cheers!).

Ah back to Curry's so you will be gone for many months then.   :)
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2023, 07:48:55 AM »
You'll be the first to know.  It won't be a new l/t from Mr Curry  though.  Tara.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2023, 08:05:50 AM »

I'm 100% done with the premiership it holds no interest for me anymore, I used to watch every match BT Sport showed, if it was a Wasps home match I'd generally watch it again when we got home to hear the commentary etc. Since the demise of Wasps I've watched about 30mins of it, including 10mins at the weekend, but the whole Sarries redemption made me turn it off.

Before Wasps arrived in Coventry I watched the odd match in person at Saints as a few guys at my old job were saints fans, Bedford Blues same reason, even Coventry RFC at their old ground when I first arrived in Cov as a Student, and some matches as a kid back in Scotland, Glasgow, pre-Warriors days.

I really bought into Wasps arrival in Coventry, missing I think 2 home matches in all their time in Coventry, and of the away games the only places I never actually got to were bizarrely Worcester despite being so close, and Exeter. Since their demise I've attended a couple of Internationals, Scotland vs All Blacks and Scotland vs Wales, and just after went to the Quins vs BaaBaas (I regretted that as really didn't enjoy it)

For me now it will only be my usual 2 internationals a year at Murrayfield, occasion trip to Cardiff (the missus is half Welsh), and if our neighbours son continues at Mosley the occasion match there. (Plus the 2 matches at the world cup I have tickets for, Scotland vs Romania & Tonga vs Romania)

I may try and catch the occasional Glasgow or Edinburgh match if I'm up there, but certainly won't be supporting any of the premiership teams who helped with the demise of Wasps, Warriors and possibly Irish.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 11:38:28 AM »
The RFU 'Powers that be'  seem to be labouring under the delusion that all the supporters of the (apparently) soon to be defunct Clubs will throw away their flags and rush off to support other Clubs.

What makes you say that? I can't imagine anyone is under the illusion that fans of Warriors, us and Irish will suddenly buy season tickets and follow one of the other Premiership Teams.  Perhaps longer term, but not in the short term.

We were STH holders for nearly 15 years (pretty sure that 08/09 was our first full season), at the moment, our kids have been coming since they were babies and we're all missing the good old days.  We haven't watched that must Rugby of late, but have planned several trips around Rugby (6N and Lions '25).

We've chatted about who/where would we think about Season Tickets; Bath/Bristol crop up (I quite like Bath but less fussed about Bristol as a team), both a bit further than Coventry for us driving and gets very expensive (even if quick timewise) for us to train it.  Irish are (were) geographically closest to us, followed by Quins.  I think Quins/Bath for me - Quins closest to the Wasps DNA.

We're unlikely to do anything until we know how Wasps will play out and will then take a decision.  Whilst we're a Family of rugby fans, there's not the same emotional investment/connection to the current teams as we had with Wasps and to be honest, if we're re-incarnated without any of the old players, we're unlikely to feel the same connection.  If we were to have say, Jimmy/Robson back to coach and some of the Academy/Younger players return, I think it would be different.  But we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 03:42:47 PM »
Been a Wasps fan for over a quarter of a century, so don?t exactly feel inclined to follow anyone else. Haven?t watched a game since we went under, I listened to the 6N on the radio rather than watch and will cancelled TNT sport next month when my current contract expires.

Could be some time before I watch another prem game ? either on TV or in person. I suppose that if the obnoxious estate agents went under I might change my mind.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2023, 12:34:41 PM »

I suppose that if the obnoxious estate agents went under I might change my mind.

Now there's some wishful thinking, they sure wouldn't be missed.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2023, 03:29:12 PM »
This is tosh. Whilst not a regular attendee in recent times - I've only ever - since the late 70s - identified as a Wasps supporter. Probably in the first place as my school shirts were not dissimilar and probably as I liked the attitude.

I am a general rugby fan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to other clubs games. I live near enough to go to three others these days, but I will be going next season to see my local team with the other 75 people. I'm more likely to go and support my local league 2 football team than go and support another Prem side.

I may change my mind when the lack of rugby becomes more apparent - but at present, I'm not going to games unless invited by mates for a game and few beers. But that's more unlikely than before as we've all moved to different parts of the country and travel isn't so simple at present.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2023, 05:03:33 PM »
Sounds like you agree with the post?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
This is tosh. Whilst not a regular attendee in recent times - I've only ever - since the late 70s - identified as a Wasps supporter. Probably in the first place as my school shirts were not dissimilar and probably as I liked the attitude.

I am a general rugby fan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to other clubs games. I live near enough to go to three others these days, but I will be going next season to see my local team with the other 75 people. I'm more likely to go and support my local league 2 football team than go and support another Prem side.

I may change my mind when the lack of rugby becomes more apparent - but at present, I'm not going to games unless invited by mates for a game and few beers. But that's more unlikely than before as we've all moved to different parts of the country and travel isn't so simple at present.

I am sort of with you, but I tried my 'local' team, and the atmosphere was totally lacking. I could have been standing at the school gates waiting to collect my daughter. I had no connection, no belonging. I first watched Wasps with a work friend in the late 80s. Going to a local game just doesn't work for me. Wasps, or nothing is where I am at.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
Sounds like you agree with the post?
Yep - having a bad day on the comprehension front!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 09:22:41 AM »

I am sort of with you, but I tried my 'local' team, and the atmosphere was totally lacking. I could have been standing at the school gates waiting to collect my daughter. I had no connection, no belonging. I first watched Wasps with a work friend in the late 80s. Going to a local game just doesn't work for me. Wasps, or nothing is where I am at.

Fair call. I do have a link into the local team as I'm on the Trust that runs the grounds where they play and so have an interest in them and a project going forwards - but I'll have to see  - your warning my well overcome my interest!