Always a Wasp

Author Topic: It might not be over  (Read 3674 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: It might not be over
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 11:10:08 AM »
Within the next 5 years?

Read after 5 or 6 years.

Well, that is no different to Wasps starting as Henley Wasps next season and working their way up (heavy presumption they would get promoted in successive years).

So. Let's think about this. Let's say Wasps say, 'We are NOT waiting for the RFU, let's just get started now.'

Let's say they put money in to it. Not a lot needed, but enough to get a better squad each year then the league they are in (after all, all the other clubs are amateur, yes?). Is there a rule saying you must be amateur outside the Championship, or is that merely the reality of small club finances?

In effect, for not a lot of money, Wasps buy promotion each year. Isn't that what Cecil Duckworth did with Worcester Warriors?

How would you feel being the club that didn't get promotion that year? Pretty plssed. Is it possible they have already been shouting at the RFU (at county level I would guess).

Wasps (and Warriors) new owners both said, with the PRL being ring fenced, rugby creditors cannot be paid, as we cannot raise the finance. The PRL sugar daddies are happy without us, and so refuse to budge on that one, and insist on ring fencing as the price for their continued 'investment'.

The arguments simply don't work. The RFU are panicking, trying to obfuscate and delay. I say to Wasps, get your finger out, get the process started and get back in to a league. Don't wait for the RFU to make up its mind. It can't and won't.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 01:32:20 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 11:31:56 AM »
Just taking what was in the Tele story - I'm with everyone who think the RFU are both panicking and making it up as they go along...

If this is true - the RFU allegedly tried to "help" by looking to introduce a source of finance BUT.....apparently at the same time, didn't understand that given the value difference between Champ and Prem, having no certainty/potential ringfencing would mean such "sources of finance" wouldn't be interested?

I'd guess that this is linked to the Prem potentially losing Wasps, Worcester and LI on short order, a risk that's not the end of the matter (other clubs at risk) and the RFU are suddenly seeing that any lights at the end of the tunnel are attacked to a large train....

As for Wasps I'm beyond getting where anything is frankly  - but I am prob being a bit thick...

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
Totally agree NWW, especially this ↓

The arguments simply don't work. The RFU are panicking, trying to obfuscate and delay. I say to Wasps, get your finger, get the process started and get back in to a league. Don't wait for the RFU to make up its mind. It can't and won't.

Why would anyone trust the RFU to keep their word tomorrow let alone in 5 or 6 years? They haven't got a vision, aim or strategy for next season let alone the next 5 years.

If (when?) LI drop out and if the rumours are to be believed another club goes the RFU will go in to full panic mode and will make Cpl Jones seem rational and goodness what proposals will follow that.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2023, 12:13:35 PM »
Reading Peter Scrivener on Twitter it seems no one at Wasps has been approached/informed about this franchise business. Looks like a dead duck of a story. Well, looks like we start at the bottom in Henley.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
I suspect that this came from  PRL as part of the PGA negotiations with the RFU.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2023, 12:46:01 PM »

Peter Scrivener
@peter_scrivener
Gav, if these high level discussions are going on you would think wasps are being consulted? We are not! A investor did meet a senior rfu individual but his conclusion was it not investable in the current state and structure.
7:56 am ? 21 May 2023
?
Let me tell you something cucumber

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2023, 06:20:00 PM »
Could it be that Messrs Sweeny and Massie-Taylor are trying to appear to help in order to avoid another DCMS hearing?
And before anyone else says it, they are trying - very trying!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2023, 06:21:20 PM »
I just posted on the Irish thread another article from The Telegraph. Doesn't look good.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2023, 08:03:20 PM »
I just posted on the Irish thread another article from The Telegraph. Doesn't look good.

Not a surprise though.
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »
No where have a I seen anything explaining what a "Franchise place in the championship" means.
If Wasps don't have the money to properly finance a Champ team, how will it be any different if its a "Franchise" ? Unless theres some kind of central RFU/PRL funding planned?

What about the rugby creditors, who will pay them, as Wasps can't currently?

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 11:56:26 AM »
Obviously no-one really knows. but it would appear that Holland had investors lined up that pulled out due to the uncertainty of the structure of the pro game and lack of clarity as to if and when promotion to the PRL would happen.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2023, 10:52:22 AM »
@WaspsRugby: It?s hard to kill a Wasp ? Keep the faith, #WaspsFamily

https://twitter.com/WaspsRugby/status/1661671002160365569?s=20

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2023, 09:22:36 PM »
Every time I  watch that I reach for a  hankie.  It makes me cry.