Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Grim outlook?  (Read 3843 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Grim outlook?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 03:25:20 PM »
I still think the best of Derek though.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2023, 05:31:32 PM »
I like to think that most people involved in ownership of rugby started out with good intentions. Perhaps with hindsight the team would have faired better if they had gone down to the championship before the Ricoh move and rebuilt from there. But where and how would still have been touch and go by the sounds of it.

Brown Bottle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
You also have to wonder what fans of other teams are thinking?
If you club isn't showing any signs of distress you could easily dismiss Wasps, Warriors & even LI as teams that have caused their own downfall and those clubs with sound business foundations or rich backers have no need to worry.
We saw it on here when Warriors went under, Wasps were OK because Derek was a decent bloke & we'd just signed Vincent Koch!
You saw it on Irish's message board when things started looking bad. No need to worry Mick Crossan is great bloke, he won't let Irish go under....

There will be some serious reality checks for some fans!

You may be right but the only surprise for me was Warriors, simply because I had no idea of their financial situation, good or bad, but knew they had their own ground etc.

On the other hand everyone's known for years that Wasps were haemorrhaging money (and don't mention the bond!). It's also been well publicised that Irish run at a loss and that Crossan has been wanting to sell them (for a ?1) for some time.

I'm sure no-one can be entirely confident about their club's future existence but the financial state of the Premiership clubs hasn't ever been great with virtually no-one making a profit each season but quite a few get close to break even. I would think we're all thinking more about what the structure of rugby will be in the near future. And there's a chance that may not involve our club anyway!  :)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 12:41:49 PM »
It is a circle- without Irish, Wasps, WW there is little to no chance of a championship attracting big viewing numbers, no matter what is offered at the top. Those are big names and 4/5k+ attendances week on week, assuming there are opportunities at promotion. Too big to not have in a reborn championship.
Even then, when adding in better attended championship teams, the 10 team healthy league is likely 2-3 teams short.

Wasps, WW and maybe Irish (if they go) cannot get funding to restart in the championship until the competition is clear with a pathway to the top.

It cannot be clear without those teams already in place and the competition well funded. It can't be well funded till we know who is in it.

It is the old joke about asking directions "I wouldn't start from here if I were you".

With every club removed interest is less- rugby fans won't change clubs- and home games reduced, hurting the bigger and better attended clubs.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 02:05:22 PM by westwaleswasp »

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2023, 01:00:23 PM »
I like to think that most people involved in ownership of rugby started out with good intentions. Perhaps with hindsight the team would have faired better if they had gone down to the championship before the Ricoh move and rebuilt from there. But where and how would still have been touch and go by the sounds of it.

The whole Ricoh saga from start to finish, and absence of comments from Derek (understand he can't due to legal proceedings) leaves me pretty convinced he only got involved with the incentive of acquiring the stadium and building potential around it. I don't blame him because he's obviously a businessman, and if you were going to pour ?millions into a rugby club you'd want to get a return on that rather then pouring money down a black hole. I have no doubt that he would have kept the rugby side operating in the premiership but on a tighter budget and was keen to make the whole set up work. It's just a shame that our club wasn't in a better place years ago and could have had a longer term plan then.

As far as the RFU and PRL go, it beggars belief that Sweeney and the PRL CEO (whose name escapers me for now) have the arrogance to remain in post whilst overseeing the darkest days of professional rugby union in England. Not only have three big clubs gone down the drain on Sweeney's watch but he's overseen a pretty poor run by the England team and headed an organisation that has 'bluffed' support for clubs like us to the media, rejected potential rescue packages and muddled directionless throughout the debacle. The PRL have shown little strategy or ability to value one of the biggest names in the history of its pro game and operated in the interests of a powerful few.

Which brings me to my main point. With the recent news regarding the processed food time bomb and the FSA, who have not been fulfilling their remit to the public in favour of the interests of powerful food companies; a lot of reading about what goes on in the City and how the FCA are similarly a token body who protect the interests of the powerful financial institutions; and on top of this the number of 'scientific' research programmes that get published favouring certain negligible products that turn out to have been funded by those who manufacture them, are the RFU and PRL any different?

By the start of this season, following the EA's short exile to the Championship and return despite refusing to fully open their books, the 'governing' bodies favoured a 14 team competition. Within months this changed to a 10 man closed shop after Baxter was gobbing this off in the media. Financial mismanagement lies squarely in the hands of the clubs who have gone under so far, but the playing field doesn't seem to have been very level in dealing out punishment and sanctions in an equitable way during a disaster for the English game, from the cheating scandal to now. Some clubs get short shrift whilst others who are favoured with lenience are woven deeply within the international and league set up. Baxter is losing many of his star players so wants to cut down the competition and chances of getting relegated whilst they rebuild. The league is now set up for the EAs to win every year, and you have to wonder how you get games where England request Smith is rested for Quins against a full strength cheats side with Farrell, or Dickson (worst ref in the prem) officiates the EAs play off in which Maitland's high tackle and likely red in the first few minutes is completely ignored, with even the radio commentators flabbergasted.

Sorry for the long witterings, but I think until the game changes significantly at the top and the governing bodies are restructured properly it's finished. It feels like they are only operating in the interests of the most powerful member(s), over the rest of the clubs, players, fans and game in England. I've no idea how this influence has been exerted, or am I tackling above the waist..?  ;D

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2023, 01:48:57 PM »
It feels like they are only operating in the interests of the most powerful member(s), over the rest of the clubs, players, fans and game in England.

Couldn't agree more.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »
plus 1