Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 19956 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2023, 05:53:43 PM »
There is also the soon to be free Kassam. Not too much information about what the owners want to do with it. Also can't remember how much surrounding land there might be for development.

Not sure about the Kassam. who, even though he sold the Club, he owns the stadium and surrounding area. Appears he wants to knock it down and develop more "Leisure" facilities.

Also a bit of a wind tunnel effect because of the "missing" stand

DarkKnight63

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2023, 07:54:54 PM »
Wasps: Former Premiership club aim to return at 'highest level possible'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67137505 

Wasps want to reform as a club "at the highest level possible" but may need to wait until the 2025-26 season to do so, says chairman Christopher Holland

DarkKnight63

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2023, 08:00:37 PM »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2023, 08:45:08 PM »
Glad of the update. The competition entity bit reads a bit oddly. And 25-26 as the backstop feels a long way away. But the news on the stadium sounds very good

DarkKnight63

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2023, 08:55:09 PM »
 "We are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.? :)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2023, 09:32:04 PM »
I hope I've got another couple of years left,  as I want to see this happen  -  or at least begin to.  I admire the determination and stick-ability involved.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2023, 08:02:06 AM »
There is one big obstacle - the RFU.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2023, 08:13:27 AM »
O gawd .........  for a short happy time I forgot about Them.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2023, 08:32:38 AM »
Just in case anyone missed it, here is the link to The Pledge. The more who sign it the better.:

https://pledge.wasps.co.uk/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=WaspsPledge

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2023, 09:00:31 AM »
We 2 have done that.  Looking ahead and with many ifs/buts/maybes/etc and (very sadly) given that the Worcester ladies rugby has had to go into administration I'm wondering what on earth is going to happen to Sixways.   So very very sad.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2023, 09:03:13 AM »
Just in case anyone missed it, here is the link to The Pledge. The more who sign it the better.:

https://pledge.wasps.co.uk/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=WaspsPledge

And if you have a family of Wasps fans get everyone to do it individually!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2023, 09:04:30 AM »
We 2 have done that.  Looking ahead and with many ifs/buts/maybes/etc and (very sadly) given that the Worcester ladies rugby has had to go into administration I'm wondering what on earth is going to happen to Sixways.   So very very sad.

Maybe take up the plastic and turn into allotments (big waiting lists it appears).
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2023, 09:32:54 AM »
There is also the soon to be free Kassam. Not too much information about what the owners want to do with it. Also can't remember how much surrounding land there might be for development.

Not sure about the Kassam. who, even though he sold the Club, he owns the stadium and surrounding area. Appears he wants to knock it down and develop more "Leisure" facilities.

Oxford are in a tough place (as many clubs are). The old stadium is not fit for purpose hemmed in as it now is, and certainly not for rugby. Take a trip there and see for yourself (it isn't so far for me and I have been there a few times for work). But, despite many proposals, the roundball team have no alternative ground lined up. You would think the local council would help, but that does not appear to be the case, forcing them to look just outside the city boundaries. Unfortunately, a lot of the greenspace around Oxford is not available for any change of use, and their only hope is to the North of the city, but I cannot see that coming off.

I think that a Wasps fan(maybe?) (and maybe also he is on here) is senior (was one of the secretaries) for the Leamington 'Brakes' roundball team (showing how old I am, I used to watch them when I worked at Automotive Products (eventually becoming a manager in the Lockheed brakes division), when the club was officially still the 'works' team (playing at the Windmill). He is adamant that the proposed Community Stadium in Warwick is just for (only to be used by) the footie team. But, despite much effect by WDC, no development partner has been found (i.e., no-one wants to pay for it). WDC have remained VERY tight lipped about it, with no progress reported. The fact is, most of the rest of the site is now in various stages of progress (some even completed). The footie team have no money, no surprise there, and time is running out for them at their current ground.

Would Wasps play at Sixways? I really hope not. I would be loath to go there, it would not feel right. Given the timescales involved, Wasps must be looking at an existing stadium very short term, and medium term must be looking at a new ground and site that already has outline planning consent and the support for the local council. They also mention alternate income streams, which also points to a new site.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2023, 10:20:10 AM »
I'm convinced that the logical location for a new stadium is Bicester on the Chiltern Line. It has 2 stations. Bicester North is 1 fast stop from High Wycombe, 2 from London Marylebone and 2 from Leamington. Sudbury Hill is on the same line and it also links to Birmingham.  1 hour with 1 change  from Coventry too. Bicester Village is 3 short stops from Oxford. So ideally placed for all Wasps associated locations.

I think Sixways is future proof insurance for having a ground fit for the Prem. It will allow a separate entity to be created as Worcester Warriors, and the ground can be sold off to them when the new one is ready. Warriors and Wasps can share the ground and costs initially whist getting the respective teams into good shape.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2023, 10:45:58 AM »

Oxford are in a tough place (as many clubs are). The old stadium is not fit for purpose hemmed in as it now is, and certainly not for rugby. Take a trip there and see for yourself (it isn't so far for me and I have been there a few times for work). But, despite many proposals, the roundball team have no alternative ground lined up. You would think the local council would help, but that does not appear to be the case, forcing them to look just outside the city boundaries. Unfortunately, a lot of the greenspace around Oxford is not available for any change of use, and their only hope is to the North of the city, but I cannot see that coming off.

A long time ago I used to play golf at a club just outside Oxford but covered by Oxford Council. A regular playing partner was a huge Oxford fan and became General Manager for a short time. He said one of the biggest problems was the usual Town v Gown conflict and the snobbishness of the Gown towards football, with the Gown having a disproportionate sway with the council.

Things may have changed, but I doubt it, but I also note that Oxford council is pushing the 15 minute city concept very hard. Irrespective of the politics of that, its not conducive to building and operating a football stadium.

I can't see there being the opportunity for the sort of partnership thinking that will be needed for building a new stadium.