Always a Wasp

Author Topic: So what did you get?  (Read 4741 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So what did you get?
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:53:52 AM »
Did Santa bring you anything special this year?  I didn't get anything rugby related for the first time in years, but I did get a bunch of equipment for my YouTube channel, and a beean to cup coffee machine that I am currently experimenting with.

How about you?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: So what did you get?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
Wasps socks, Wasp car air freshener, Wasp gloves, a Dai Young t-shirt, rugby cuff links and a pair of socks with "Do Not Disturb, I'm Watching Rugby" on them. Father Xmas obviously knows me.

Plus whisky, after shave etc...
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »
a Dai Young t-shirt

I'm gonna need to know more about this!

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 10:09:22 AM »
Wasps polo shirt for me and lots of different beers! Also had a new Barbarians shirt for my birthday last week.

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:11:01 AM »
VV it's got " Dai Youngs Black and Gold Army" on the front and a photo of him on the back.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
Did Santa bring you anything special this year?  I didn't get anything rugby related for the first time in years, but I did get a bunch of equipment for my YouTube channel, and a beean to cup coffee machine that I am currently experimenting with.

How about you?

Are you covering any particular subject on your YouTube channel?

I remember your video with Josh Barnett... Is it going to be wrestling / MMA orientated?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »
Socks, chocolate, beard oil. The computer desk is technically a present to from my mum.

Fun presents were gravitrax starter set, both where's the wookie books and some lego. Those were my boys but it's plenty of fun for me too!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
I got a big bar of chocolate from my wife. She has eaten half of it already!

A company I do work for gave me a huge chunk of money towards a motorcycle post lift (the money is in an account with the manufacturer, in effect a 50% discount). Pretty much all I wanted this year.

Plus some (summer) motorcycle gloves from my daughter.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »

How about you?

Are you covering any particular subject on your YouTube channel?

I remember your video with Josh Barnett... Is it going to be wrestling / MMA orientated?

It's a sometimes tongue in cheek look at fighting. Focussing on boxing history mainly, but some fencing and wrestling as well.

Been going a while and currently have about 10k subscribers.

I am however looking at starting a completely different channel this year as well.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
VV it's got " Dai Youngs Black and Gold Army" on the front and a photo of him on the back.

Sizing? XL, XXL, XXXL, XXXXL, XXXXXL and Dai Young. :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »

A company I do work for gave me a huge chunk of money towards a motorcycle post lift (the money is in an account with the manufacturer, in effect a 50% discount). Pretty much all I wanted this year.

What's a motorbike post lift nelly?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »

What's a motorbike post lift nelly?

For cars you have a two or four post lift, for bikes a single post lift. This one:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/sealey-single-post-motorcycle-lift-450kg-capacity-mcl500-seamcl500/

I do almost all my own servicing. Crawling around the cold floor is not so easy when you are 60.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 12:13:16 AM »
Got nothing Waspie, or even rugby,  first time in years that is true. Not a fan of under armour shirts, the cotton casual 150 ones were lovely, but I was dissappointed with this year's efforts, mirroring the team of late...

I got some 1980s 8 bit computer stuff, the hardware is fine but tapes are about as reliable as Wasps defence this year.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 12:20:39 AM »

I got some 1980s 8 bit computer stuff, the hardware is fine but tapes are about as reliable as Wasps defence this year.

Tapes were always terrible, I remember waiting half an hour only to find it hadn't loaded properly.

What did you get?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
Specifically I got -
(a) A Tandy deluxe 6 pin analogue Joystick, circa '85. It is lovely, physical self centering still works, but the only issue is it is 6 pin DIN connected, and I don't have a Tandy Co-Co 3 which takes six pin DIN. I can pull the extra pin out, disabling the second fire button, and then I can use it on Dragon (and Tandy) 6809 computers that I do have, but it would feel like vandalism.  DIN connectors were nearly unique to those machines, despite getting wide use elsewhere in Audio tech industry, as the Atari standard was taken up by the rest of the machines- Spectrum, Commodore et al. 

(b) a couple of common Microdeal Dragon 32 tapes I needed to finish the collection of Microdeal games (I owned all the rarer ones already) , and a Dragon Data game in a huge 12 inch clam case. The latter are quite rare, and commonly go for 20-50 quid (and more) on Ebay, entirely due to the massive packaging, into which you could fit considerably more than one tape. The tapes themselves go for a couple of pounds.

No Atari cartridges this year, last year I got Defender for the 800/800 XL in the box and a couple without boxes, and another joystick. There is a lot of Atari stuff that is still shop sealed out there, but it goes for a fair bit.   

Tapes are generally bad storage mechanisms, but often they were poorly recorded in the first instance, they don't actually degrade that much. I have a failure rate of old tapes of just about 5% with old tapes, which is pretty close to the failure rate back in the 80s.  Often they can be fixed by rerecording the WAV file onto tape. A lot of modern enthusiasts put out cracked versions of cassettes that took ages to load, they can often be compressed to a couple of minutes.

I don't suppose there are that many rugby/old computer fans out there? I I know a couple, and neither are Wasps fans. Real ale + rugby  I can see as an obvious cross over (although I like real ciders myself), other sports and old cars/bikes you would think be quite high on the list........