Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kieran?  (Read 1859 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Kieran?
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
Has anyone heard any news about Kieran's injury? Dai described it as 'significant' after the game on Sunday. Anything more since then?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Kieran?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
Nothing at all. He was in a boot when he left after the game. The docs will have assessed him to decide if any bones were broken and I would have thought that if they were, he would have been taken straight to hospital. That he wasn't suggests that he has strained something. An Achilles accident is really easy to diagnose (if not the severity) and Dai would have said that. That suggests an ankle or heel injury. Either is very painful, but recovery can be quick. As it may be soft tissue damage, sometimes it will be left for a few days to calm down. It may not be for another week yet before we hear how good/bad it is. He seemed to twist and fall, so my guess is a twisted ankle.

Totally a guess, but that was all I saw when he went down.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
I thought he got his leg/s tangled up with one of the Bath players.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
My guess would be that he has an ankle fracture.  It's pretty simple to assess whether it is stable or not, and possibly even get a quick xray if they have the facilities.  Assuming that it was stable then a boot would be all needed until he got to the hospital.  There is little to be gained by rushing off in the middle of the match if it isn't displaced or it is stable.  But Dai seemed pretty convinced it was a serious injury.

My guess is that Keiran refused to go until after the match and that it's broken.

I doubt we'll see him play again for 8-10 weeks or so.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
Now being reported in Coventry Evening Telegraph - https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-injury-news-kieran-brookes-15601954

Director of rugby Dai Young confirmed it was a 'significant' injury in his post-match comments and gave an update ahead of Wasps' trip to Twickenham to face Harlequins on Saturday.

Brookes hasn’t suffered a fracture but it was a syndesmosis ," said Young. "But it’s a significant ankle injury that will put him out for months rather than weeks.

"They’re usually an eight or 12-week injury so we’re expecting that and it’s a massive blow for us."

What is the syndesmosis of the ankle?

The most common way the syndesmosis is hurt is a twisting or rotational injury to the ankle. The ligaments that support the syndesmosis are needed to stabilize it, and it is these ligaments that are stretched or torn when this type of injury occurs. Ankle sprains can injure the syndesmosis.
It was fine when I left it.....

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »
A syndesmosis is an injury of the ligaments that hold the tibia and fibula together at the ankle.  To be able to damage them there needs to also be injury to the ankle itself as well.  It is not a good thing at all.

Sam Jones had a syndesmosis type injury.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
Bugger. Hoping for a trouble free recovery. All the best Kieran. One leaves Team Recon (Dobby) and is immediately replaced :'(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!